Emmanuel Rivière

beatty

Christ, are people brainwashed?

Brainwashed would be to argue idealogically against something irrespective of whether it's good or bad.

Spending £30m in 3 weeks is better than spending nothing in 18 months.

No-one's sucking Ashley cock and claiming the NUFC charge starts here (except CT).

But it's an improvement.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Honestly, man. Nearly every article relating to our recent transfer business, during the last week, has mentioned that we're looking for two strikers. Some even mention that one will be a 'senior striker to replace Remy'.

CSD, for some reason, is clinging to his belief that we won't as his last hope of negativity. He's not the only one, mind. A relatively significant proportion of our support thrive on it. Guarantee that, if we do shell out for a half decent striker, the first words from CSD, and this part of our support, will be 'what about that centre half we need'.

Christ, are people brainwashed?

So far so good? Again. No.

I'm trying to point out the reality. The way that a handful of bargain basement replacements for outgoing players is enough to appease people and get them to start praising the club, after the mood towards the end of last season frustrates the life out of me. We've got the most fickle set of fans in the country, and I could understand if we'd obviously strengthened but we haven't and won't, because that's not what we do and we're openly unambitious.

W... Wolfy?!?

Such a grumpy puss!

I can't say that I'd be overjoyed going into the season with Riviere as our main striker. His record whilst not something I would class as bad for a player of his age, isn't anything that would suggest he's going to be able to lead our attack (I've seen nothing of him so I can't claim to know more than that). But as has been pointed out, apart from CSD's reading of Pardew's quote, all of the talk recently has been of signing another senior striker. Usually under Ashley I'd dismiss this but the transfer activity so far this summer gives me a bit more confidence these reports are accurate.

At this stage, asside from the main striker role, our team would look slightly stronger than the start of last season (I'm assuming Janmaat to be fairly comparable to Debuchy, DeJong and Cabella combined to be comparable to Cabaye and HBA (who was unfit and barely used all season), Colback to be significantly better than Gosling, and Riviere an upgrade on Shola). Clearly this hinges on us signing a first choice striker.

If we are really looking to improve then we certainly need a centreback as well. I'm not at all convinced our ambitions are that high though and I'm fairly sure that even if we sold Mbiwa we wouldn't sign a replacement and would instead bank on Good or Streete making the step up (very big risk for me).

This isn't a fantastic summer that's going to transform us into a team capable of challenging for a european spot but it looks like it's going to keep us in the top half of the league. Compared to what I was expecting I'm happy with that. I'm not going to give them any credit for this because all it's doing is repairing the cluster fuck that was the second half of last season. I still want Pardew out (I'd still like to see protesting against him) and I'm still desperate for Ashley to fuck off. But at least it looks like there's a fair chance I will actually have an interest and might get some enjoyment out of the games next season.

I'll be dragging up these striker quotes on September the 1st, you poor deluded fools :razz:

Just don't take to twitter for the next five years telling random people how you were right all along and how the rest of us are babies who won't admit the truth.

:lol: Honestly, man. Nearly every article relating to our recent transfer business, during the last week, has mentioned that we're looking for two strikers. Some even mention that one will be a 'senior striker to replace Remy'.

CSD, for some reason, is clinging to his belief that we won't as his last hope of negativity. He's not the only one, mind. A relatively significant proportion of our support thrive on it. Guarantee that, if we do shell out for a half decent striker, the first words from CSD, and this part of our support, will be 'what about that centre half we need'.

Na, it's the striker situation for me. The costliest players to buy, the position we've needed filling the most for a couple of years now, and the position we constantly skimp out out. We can buy all the flair midfielders in the world but with shite up front we'll be toothless.

Na, it's the striker situation for me. The costliest players to buy, the position we've needed filling the most for a couple of years now, and the position we constantly skimp out out. We can buy all the flair midfielders in the world but with shite up front we'll be toothless.

We definitely skimped on strikers last season but we paid good money for Cisse when we had Ba already. Ok so Cisse has faded but that did suggest they understood the need in that area. Whilst I have very little confidence in them, I'd be surprised if they believe that we currently have enough. It's so obviously the most important position in the team.

We definitely skimped on strikers last season but we paid good money for Cisse when we had Ba already. Ok so Cisse has faded but that did suggest they understood the need in that area. Whilst I have very little confidence in them, I'd be surprised if they believe that we currently have enough. It's so obviously the most important position in the team.

We paid average money for Cisse, because they'd skimped out that summer by only getting Ba. There was uproar when the Ba window shut because we didn't get another one in, we'd just limped to the end of the season with Shola and Kuqi. They skimped the summer before and got lucky that Carroll hit a patch of monster form before January. Then got lucky again, skimping on a free Ba who luckily hit the ground running. One of these times they'll skimp, this year maybe, and they won't get so lucky and we'll just get relegated.

We paid average money for Cisse, because they'd skimped out that summer by only getting Ba. There was uproar when the Ba window shut because we didn't get another one in, we'd just limped to the end of the season with Shola and Kuqi. They skimped the summer before and got lucky that Carroll hit a patch of monster form before January. Then got lucky again, skimping on a free Ba who luckily hit the ground running. One of these times they'll skimp, this year maybe, and they won't get so lucky and we'll just get relegated.

We paid around £10m for Cisse. That might be average for the top teams but not for the rest of the league (certainly not at the time).

I agree though, unless Riviere has something about him that it appears no one else is seeing at the moment, we are taking a very big chance that he'll be enough. If we do in fact expect him to be enough. I'm not convinced at this stage by Pardews comments (tbh I'm never convinced about anything he says) and I'm still looking for another striker to come in.

As I said I'm not knocking this kid but I find his signing more underwhelming than the others at this stage.

I read £8m for Cisse which is probably more likely from this lot. Which is a modest amount for most premier league clubs really. I hope we do sign another striker but I'm 80% confident that we won't and 90% confident that we won't sign an established good one. What I don't understand is those people adamant that we're actively looking for one still, given that we generally scout our bigger signings extensively and that we're not really linked with anyone of great pedigree - I'd be very shocked if they just pulled one out of the bag. I'd love to be wrong, but I think a lot of people on here are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Out of interest, if the windows does close without us getting another striker, how will people feel? Happy with what we've done still or will it turn to anger?

The anger will build as we get nearer the closing of the window, especially those who have renewed on the back of this little transfer flurry.

If I was being cynical I would say its been timed very well.

Edited by SteveAustin

I can't say that I'd be overjoyed going into the season with Riviere as our main striker. His record whilst not something I would class as bad for a player of his age, isn't anything that would suggest he's going to be able to lead our attack (I've seen nothing of him so I can't claim to know more than that). But as has been pointed out, apart from CSD's reading of Pardew's quote, all of the talk recently has been of signing another senior striker. Usually under Ashley I'd dismiss this but the transfer activity so far this summer gives me a bit more confidence these reports are accurate.

At this stage, asside from the main striker role, our team would look slightly stronger than the start of last season (I'm assuming Janmaat to be fairly comparable to Debuchy, DeJong and Cabella combined to be comparable to Cabaye and HBA (who was unfit and barely used all season), Colback to be significantly better than Gosling, and Riviere an upgrade on Shola). Clearly this hinges on us signing a first choice striker.

If we are really looking to improve then we certainly need a centreback as well. I'm not at all convinced our ambitions are that high though and I'm fairly sure that even if we sold Mbiwa we wouldn't sign a replacement and would instead bank on Good or Streete making the step up (very big risk for me).

This isn't a fantastic summer that's going to transform us into a team capable of challenging for a european spot but it looks like it's going to keep us in the top half of the league. Compared to what I was expecting I'm happy with that. I'm not going to give them any credit for this because all it's doing is repairing the cluster fuck that was the second half of last season. I still want Pardew out (I'd still like to see protesting against him) and I'm still desperate for Ashley to fuck off. But at least it looks like there's a fair chance I will actually have an interest and might get some enjoyment out of the games next season.

Suprised any fan wants to start the season with protests against Pardew. He's not going so why turn St James into a poisonous atmosphere?

Sure bring on the protests if we're heading for Shit times come Christmas, but stupid imo to make players dread home games.

Suprised any fan wants to start the season with protests against Pardew. He's not going so why turn St James into a poisonous atmosphere?

Because...

2eedi7p.jpg

Not a single point off any club that weren't relegation threatened.

Sure bring on the protests if we're heading for Shit times come Christmas, but stupid imo to make players dread home games.

I want him out. He's not up to it and is an embarassment to the club. Ashley won't go until he wants to so I generally feel protests against him are worthless. But I think Pardew can be got at. Just because we sign a few players and (hopefully) that improves things, I don't think that should give him a free ride.

I read £8m for Cisse which is probably more likely from this lot. Which is a modest amount for most premier league clubs really. I hope we do sign another striker but I'm 80% confident that we won't and 90% confident that we won't sign an established good one. What I don't understand is those people adamant that we're actively looking for one still, given that we generally scout our bigger signings extensively and that we're not really linked with anyone of great pedigree - I'd be very shocked if they just pulled one out of the bag. I'd love to be wrong, but I think a lot of people on here are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Out of interest, if the windows does close without us getting another striker, how will people feel? Happy with what we've done still or will it turn to anger?

I for one will be (once again) disapointed. I suppose it depends on how well it looks like we're getting away without one by the end of August that determines whether the disapointment turns to anger.

I want him out. He's not up to it and is an embarassment to the club. Ashley won't go until he wants to so I generally feel protests against him are worthless. But I think Pardew can be got at. Just because we sign a few players and (hopefully) that improves things, I don't think that should give him a free ride.

So you dont think protest during games has any effect on players?

Seems how we are talking about game 1-18, why not stick those stats up for last year.

Because we don't have a problem when we bring in new bodies and Pardew's not had the time to take the edge off them. Remy came in and scored 10 goals in 14 games. But Pardew doesn't maintain standards. Ever.

Image-3.jpg

So you dont think protest during games has any effect on players?

Depends on what type of protest it is really. I'm not talking about walk outs but I don't think Pardew getting grief is going to have much effect on the players. Going from how they played at the end of the season you wouldn't say that they looked like they were playing for him anyway.