Other Games 14/15 - Football fans feel the same about stuff, except stuff like Western Sydney Wanderers, because no one gives a shit about them.

Ayatollah Hermione

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I particularly like the thread 'should we just starting sacking all of our managers like the mags now'!?

We gave the last knacker an 8 year contract!

Some of them have already booked hotels and travel for Wembley too :lol:

:lol: Aye it's another one of their daft myths, they've had tonnes of managers in recent years as well. They really are a fucking woeful side like, they completely deserve to go down due to how utterly shit they have been for years now just scraping survival each year. Like Alex says I fully expect the useless cunts to somehow manage another win over us, it's the one thing I'd hope Carver could get them up for but tbh the knacker has been here all along and we've took twatting off them recently.

If they beat us, they'll stay up. If not, I think they're 50:50 to go down.

At the end of the day though, I don't think it makes much difference. Even with our period of stagnation, we can't compare to the lack of success and general crapness that has been on show at Sunderland for the past few years. Whether they're relegated or not, they'll continue to drift on in obscurity.

It's telling that while it's widely believed that, under Mike Ashley, Newcastle are underachieving*, nobody thinks Ellis Short is holding the mackems back.

Their natural position is actually around where they are. They're dukeing it out with a whole raft of other teams to be the top 15th or 16th team in England.

*fwiw I don't think we're necessarily underachieving in terms of league position but; cups, quality of football & aims we definitely are.

It's telling that while it's widely believed that, under Mike Ashley, Newcastle are underachieving*, nobody thinks Ellis Short is holding the mackems back.

Their natural position is actually around where they are. They're dukeing it out with a whole raft of other teams to be the top 15th or 16th team in England.

*fwiw I don't think we're necessarily underachieving in terms of league position but; cups, quality of football & aims we definitely are.

Think it's fucking depressing how lacking in ambition we are but it must be soul-destroying for the mackems who don't define their lives by derby results (admittedly not that many of them :razz: ) how they regularly flirt with / just avoid relegation when they've actually showed some ambition in recent years.

Edited by Alex

Think it's fucking depressing how lacking in ambition we are but it must be soul-destroying for the mackems who don't define their lives by derby results (admittedly not that many of them :razz: ) how they regularly flirt with / just avoid relegation when they've actually showed some ambition in recent years.

Is that depressing or heartening? You know you're not great, but you see your clubs striving to improve, don't you? You can measure success by effort and for all the criticism that can be levelled at sunderland teams, they're rarely short of that.

See, I don't believe in any predetermined natural order of things with respect of football clubs. I think all clubs have the chance to move forward from the positions they find themselves in - look at Spurs who were, for the longest time, around the same level as us. There's absolutely nothing special about the way Spurs are run as a club, no great amount of money backing them, etc. They're just run more ambitiously than we are. Sure, that expenditure only claims 4 or 5 places over our heads each year, but they're really well positioned for opportunistic place grabs in the table.

Looking at the table currently in fact, we only really have a top 2. The old top 4 is struggling to assert itself at all.

As for Sunderland, they need to be relegated and to follow it up with a purge and reassessment of philosophy. They have too many crap cloggers to be able to transform the team from their current position, and that's why they fail to move on each year, regardless of the manager.

I don't think we're in the same position as Sunderland though - we're always, frustratingly, one or two players away from being a team that can challenge in and around the top 4. Although we also now need a philosophy ourselves.

Is that depressing or heartening? You know you're not great, but you see your clubs striving to improve, don't you? You can measure success by effort and for all the criticism that can be levelled at sunderland teams, they're rarely short of that.

It's depressing if it's representative of a high point.

See, I don't believe in any predetermined natural order of things with respect of football clubs. I think all clubs have the chance to move forward from the positions they find themselves in - look at Spurs who were, for the longest time, around the same level as us. There's absolutely nothing special about the way Spurs are run as a club, no great amount of money backing them, etc. They're just run more ambitiously than we are. Sure, that expenditure only claims 4 or 5 places over our heads each year, but they're really well positioned for opportunistic place grabs in the table.

If you look at the three seasons leading up to Spurs finishing in the top four they spent £185m. What they have done is invest decent money in good players and have been able to sell a lot of them on for even more money. Basically what Ashley is trying to do but on a higher level.

They managed it much more quickly than Ashley did though, admittedly with the bonus of Gareth Bale. I think he could stand to speculate further while remaining true to his principles.

Since then they've been in the black nearly every season but it took that initial injection of cash to get them there. The biggest difference in the clubs, as you said, is their ambitions. Spurs want to be in Europe and aim to qualify for the CL and win a cup. Our sole ambition is top ten.

I don't believe in this "needs to get relegated" stuff by the way.

Am I right in thinking that the teams that do go down are (more often than not) the teams who haven't the quality to stay up, it's rarely the teams with bloated squads of lazy mercs?

If so how would relegation benefit them? The mackems haven't scores of players on big wages, as we did, just a lot of cloggers. If they were to go down would Johnson stay? Pantimilimon?

Since then they've been in the black nearly every season but it took that initial injection of cash to get them there. The biggest difference in the clubs, as you said, is their ambitions. Spurs want to be in Europe and aim to qualify for the CL and win a cup. Our sole ambition is to not get relegated.

fyp

Thing is they've spent enough money under short to expect a bit better - which of course makes it funnier how shit they are.

:lol:

I'll always enjoy their troubles, but can they really expect better than bottom half of the Premier League?

They concentrate their spending on a couple of players instead of gradually improving their lot in life.

Is it as simple as American owners just not understanding the football league system? It's fine to spend a fuckload on 1 quarterback or a power forward, but there's a greater need for balance in a football team.

:lol: Aye, it's a fucking crease tbh. I love that no matter how shit we seem to be they always manage to do worse, during the season we were in the championship they were fucking rank then we got promoted and give them a kicking.

A population completely stuck in the 1980's fashion wise, I always imagine the average mackem to have that orange wotsit dust around their mouth, fingertips and the collar of their Sunderland top (a Reg Vardy 'classic' of course). Along with a nice pair of ill fitting jeans and some black reebok classics. This is how I always imagine that Daddyscock fella that pops on here now and again as he batters the keyboard in the Pennywell community library. They have to watch utter bilge like Vergini, Brown, Bridcutt and co. Their desperation shows when they try to cling to fucking anything, like when Altidore come along they welcomed any Americans onto the board with glee, before they all realized that Altidore isn't a footballer and the Americans began to make (albeit ridiculous) claims that Altidore needed to be at a better club :lol:. It's also funny as fuck how they cling on to Feyenoord in all since their fans don't like us either due to a few kickings we gave them in Europe.

Like you say, we have this awful stewardship at the moment and it's depressing but the list of horrible stuff we can aim at the tramps down the road is staggering compared to what they can come up with about us (normally it's pretty limited to being deluded, expecting too much, no one else likes them either etc). I really hope we beat them in this coming derby and Carver does a big knee slide like that plonker Di Canio did, they'd lose their fucking minds if that happened :lol:.

I don't believe in this "needs to get relegated" stuff by the way.

The mackems haven't scores of players on big wages, as we did, just a lot of cloggers. If they were to go down would Johnson stay? Pantimilimon?

Defoe

Brown

Oshea

Johnson

Rodwell

Fletcher

Larsson

Reveillere

Whickam

Bet they are all in £60kpw+

Edited by TheRollingStones

Defoe, Rodwell and Fletcher, sure. But Reveillere? Larsson, & Whickham?

Either way I don't see sunderland being relegated benefiting them in any way

Defoe, Rodwell and Fletcher, sure. But Reveillere? Larsson, & Whickham?

Either way I don't see sunderland being relegated benefiting them in any way

Reveillere was a free transfer, safe to assume he chose to move to Sunderland for the money rather than trophies. Whickham has had the club over a barrel for a year and finally signed a bumper contract last month

Edit-£60kpw

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/connor-wickham-signs-new-sunderland-4776070

Edited by TheRollingStones