The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RobinRobin said:

Annoyingly Aussies doing well against India 🙁 

Warner fractured his elbow and, how fucking unlucky is this, he also got a concussion, an injury which means they can have a substitute batsman. 

15 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Warner fractured his elbow and, how fucking unlucky is this, he also got a concussion, an injury which means they can have a substitute batsman. 

Could be the excuse to move on from him. They needed one. 🙂 

Anderson 4-14 at 40, unreal, best ever IMO

Broad/Anderson most wickets in history playing as a pair, considering how crap Englsnd were for big chunks of their careers that is phenomenal tbh.

McGrath/Warne are legends, but considering they played for a team invariably on top it makes Broad/Anderson's landmark all the more impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The were 3 down when I went to bed. Safe to say this is not what I expected to see when I checked the score this morning. Brook is shaping up to be a superstar 

• Like 2

Good to see Root, just play his normal game and get his normal results, he always scored quick enough anyway, not electric fast like Brook (and Bairstow when he's in the groove) but pretty damned quickly.

• Like 3

Well England managed to lose what should have been unlosable.  By one run, but it is still a loss.  Very poor shot selection by Root, Stokes, Foakes, and Anderson.  I know that it is a willingness to try to win, but it really wasn't necessary.  To lose them all to exactly the same shot was poor.

I think that the decision to enforce the follow on backfired horribly.  Again, I understand the winning mentality and not to be afraid to lose, but given Stokes was unable to bowl and Anderson and Broad have a combined aged of 76, I thought it was the wrong decision at the time and winning would not have changed my view.

Anyway, well done NZ for never giving up, right to the last ball.  Phenomenal effort.

Bring on the Ashes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex said:

Mad to enforce the follow on. It was the only way they could realistically lose 

that's bazball though isn't it. take the pressure off the players by be aggressive to try to force the win, accepting it will result in the odd loss. it was always knowing going to backfire at some point. it'll be interesting to see if they alter the approach against the aussies or go all out against a quality side, where the stakes are high 

15 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's bazball though isn't it. take the pressure off the players by be aggressive to try to force the win, accepting it will result in the odd loss. it was always knowing going to backfire at some point. it'll be interesting to see if they alter the approach against the aussies or go all out against a quality side, where the stakes are high 

Agree but annoying to see us lose the cup one day and then lose the test unnecessarily the next. 🙁 

They could have done some Bazball and then taken 10 wickets, which was much more likely. 

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think that’s rubbish tbh. Batting again would’ve been arguably more aggressive. Asking bowlers to bowl again in a back to back test when two of them are the age they are was just complacent and a bit stupid. I’m not saying you’re talking rubbish as I think you’re right - that will be their justification for their actions but I messaged Tooj at the time saying it was the wrong call. This talk about being blessed to have played in that match, even on the losing side. It’s top level sport and it’s about putting your opponents away. If it was one or two other countries people would be checking the betting activity 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I think that’s rubbish tbh. Batting again would’ve been arguably more aggressive. Asking bowlers to bowl again in a back to back test when two of them are the age they are was just complacent and a bit stupid. I’m not saying you’re talking rubbish as I think you’re right - that will be their justification for their actions but I messaged Tooj at the time saying it was the wrong call. This talk about being blessed to have played in that match, even on the losing side. It’s top level sport and it’s about putting your opponents away. If it was one or two other countries people would be checking the betting activity 

i'm not saying i agree with the "bazball" philosophy - sometimes you have to be pragmatic, even if you want to play on the front foot - but it definitely feels an identity they're determined to establish.

being ultra-agressive will occasionally backfire, no doubt about it. it'll be interesting to see if they modify it going into the ashes. i think they will have to at some point because you can't expect to blow good sides away every time. 

• Like 1

If it was the ashes and they were one up, no way they wouldn't bat the game into oblivion IMO from a similar position.

Btw, haven't seen it but a few saying ball before Anderson out was a nailed on wide any other time in the game, dunno if any of you saw it ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Gower is great like. Could listen to him all day. There’s no one I enjoyed watching bat more than him either. 

Nah can't agree, we need more shouty, screamy, hysterical commentary and less rational, clear and interesting observations. ;) 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...