The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah I agree he should be in the team (both ODI and Test). At this stage its obviously just team politics keeping him out of the side. I could see him getting back in the ODI team in a post-WC shake up but I think a certain A. Cook is standing in the way of him returning to the Test squad.

No chance. Unless the coach goes (which wouldn't be a bad thing if the ECB had the nouse to get the right man in).

there's no way he starts in he current regime, you're right - too many bridges burned. it would take a massive u-turn from the ECB, an admission that they backed the wrong horse.

if you look purely on stats though he has to play. there are no english batsmen making a convincing enough case to keep him out of the side. only root of the current lot of wasters has a better ODI average than KP, from way fewer games.

and we don't have too many other players like him, with that kind of swagger, who scares opposition bowlers and empties bars. total cunt of a man but has to play.

Do you reckon many counties are going to be scrambling for his signature like? I think he might struggle to find one tbh.

i don't think he'll have a problem finding a county. the bigger questions are firstly if he's prepared to give up some IPL cash - and whether the ecb are playing silly buggers, or if there's a genuine chance of them taking him back if he does find a county and make runs.

i don't think he'll have a problem finding a county. the bigger questions are firstly if he's prepared to give up some IPL cash - and whether the ecb are playing silly buggers, or if there's a genuine chance of them taking him back if he does find a county and make runs.

That's the thing though. He's not on a central contract and he's playing in the IPL. If he rolls up to a county and is prepared to play for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. a lot less than he's become accustomed to) then it could happen. That isn't going to happen though (I could maybe see a T/20 contract or something like that) and quite frankly, I don't blame KP at all. He would need a cast iron guarantee that getting first class runs for a county would see him being brought back into the fold fairly quickly. I find it unlikely that has (or will) be offered by the ECB. He needs that sort of assurance because of his age. He can't be expected to write off a couple of years at this stage in his career and expecting him to give up the IPL on some vague comments from a new guy at the ECB is just plain daft (not suggesting that's your standpoint, by the way). I find Colin Graves comments to be rather bizarre in both their content and timing (the latter especially). Perhaps he's trying to make a name for himself but it seems an ill-advised method of doing so. I don't disagree with your premise that KP could easily still do a job for England, if his motivation was there, I'm just pointing out the reasons why I think it's all pie in the sky.

Edited by Alex

i can understand why this new ECB gimp has dangled a carrot. he's trying to save some face. the way the ecb handled the whole thing was completely incompetent, from sacking KP, to appointing a coach that effectively makes him returning impossible.

it was a debacle. it should have been sorted behind closed doors. KP should be judged on what he does on the cricket pitch. if he's not deemed to be making enough runs, then drop him. don't sack him because he's a twat. he is a twat and it's clear that most of his teammates couldn't stand him but you could say the same about geoffrey boycott and he played test matches for his england up until his 40s because he could still contribute with the bat.

i can understand why this new ECB gimp has dangled a carrot. he's trying to save some face. the way the ecb handled the whole thing was completely incompetent, from sacking KP, to appointing a coach that effectively makes him returning impossible.

it was a debacle. it should have been sorted behind closed doors. KP should be judged on what he does on the cricket pitch. if he's not deemed to be making enough runs, then drop him. don't sack him because he's a twat. he is a twat and it's clear that most of his teammates couldn't stand him but you could say the same about geoffrey boycott and he played test matches for his england up until his 40s because he could still contribute with the bat.

Graves' comments aren't serious or behind closed doors though, are they? As well as the aforementioned timing, i.e. during a World Cup. They're media-friendly froth which the ECB has since moved to distance themselves from. So it's another gaffe rather than saving face. The story had died down and it's now been reignited. That would be acceptable if the circumstances had changed, but further comments from the ECB say that's not the case.

i don't think the story ever really died. you've got peirs morgan stoking the fire to his millions of followers on twitter every week, KP was on Graham Norton just a couple of months ago making his case while trying to flog his new book. i think the media - and the cricketing world - were going to look at this world cup and judge the ECB on the big decisions they made regarding the KP and the guy who replaced Flower. if there was a modicum of progress since the KP sacking/Moores appointment then it might not have been as big a deal but if anything we've regressed, at least in the short forms of the game.

moores is under massive pressure, which will only build if we fail to do well in the series against the windies and new zealand ahead of the ashes.

you're going to get more people saying KP should return, particularly if he does find a county and make runs, which could seriously undermine the ashes preparation as we could be in the position where the coach is fired to make room for him, just ahead of the biggest test series going. sounds unlikely but i didn't see them sacking cook on the eve of the world cup either.

moores is under massive pressure, which will only build if we fail to do well in the series against the windies and new zealand ahead of the ashes.

you're going to get more people saying KP should return, particularly if he does find a county and make runs, which could seriously undermine the ashes preparation as we could be in the position where the coach is fired to make room for him, just ahead of the biggest test series going. sounds unlikely but i didn't see them sacking cook on the eve of the world cup either.

Yeah but that's not what I take issue with. Rather it's Graves fanning the flames of a story which wasn't in the papers (even if it was in the background) during a calamitous World Cup campaign. What's the rationale behind that? I take your point though, the fact it became a fairly big story shows the problems at present. With KP I've come round to thinking it's a classic case of his rep being enhanced by being out of an under performing team. Obviously his record is great overall but it's a while since he's done much. The story will rumble on unless the results improve though. Not a bad time to play the Windies like so that series will probably paper over some of the cracks.

:lol: Actually think it's a good thing (despite the obvious embarrassment) as it should be the end of Moores and co. No doubt Downton will cling on though.

:lol: Actually think it's a good thing (despite the obvious embarrassment) as it should be the end of Moores and co. No doubt Downton will cling on though.

Aye scraping through would have done us no good at all. We are a fucking shambles and we need some big changes.