Harry Roberts is our friend, is our friend........

Rob W

Some of the other elderly mebers will remember that song beeing belted out from the Gallowagte End from the old days

Used to wind up the forces of law & order big time

he was sentenced to 30 years but has done 50............. and the Police would lik him to stay in forever

Rob and his oh so subtle wind-ups. I don't see why anyone shooting 3 people under these or similar circumstances should ever get out. Sentences in general are a bit of joke though iyam.

Not just the old days - it got an airing outside the Eight Bells on a recent Fulham away trip too. Old habits die hard...

Heard it at a canny few away games. Pretty cringeworthy like but then so are lots of things you see / hear at them.

I agree in general Alex but keeping a 78 year old inside seems a bit much. Not saying there should necessarily be an automatic release age but still.

I suppose the "hope" was that he would die at sn average age for his generation.

I agree in general Alex but keeping a 78 year old inside seems a bit much. Not saying there should necessarily be an automatic release age but still.

I suppose the "hope" was that he would die at sn average age for his generation.

I get the impression it's his own fault he wasn't released years ago anyway.

Would have saved a lot of money in this case

Would it? Death Penalty cases cost a fortune, by all accounts. I believe it's a fallacy to suggest they're cheaper than incarceration.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost

And anyway, what kind of society puts a monetary cost on life?

Would it? Death Penalty cases cost a fortune, by all accounts. I believe it's a fallacy to suggest they're cheaper than incarceration.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost

And anyway, what kind of society puts a monetary cost on life?

This piece of shit cold bloodedly (without any shred of doubt as to his guilt) killed three unarmed policemen, he gave up his right to life or any form of consideration as a human being the second he committed that crime. He should never get out, some things are beyond redemption or rehabilitation. This is one of them.

And yes for something like this he should have been put down. This is the perfect example of when crime and punishment should come into play not crime and rehabilitation. Twat'll be down the pub in a few days, his victims families will be suffering yet more distress.

You don't want justice, you want revenge. Which is childish and petulant.

• Afghanistan
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Barbados
  • Belarus
  • Belize
  • Botswana
  • Chad
  • China (People's Republic)
  • Comoros
  • Congo (Democratic Republic)
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Egypt
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Ethiopia
  • Gambia
  • Guatemala
  • Guinea
  • Guyana
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Libya
  • Malaysia
  • Nigeria
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Pakistan
  • Palestinian Authority
  • Qatar
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Singapore
  • Somalia
  • South Sudan
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Uganda
  • United Arab Emirates
  • United States
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe

This is not a good list to be included in.

You don't want justice, you want revenge. Which is childish and petulant.

What is justice of not a form of revenge ?? Crimes should be punished, in this case the appropriate punishment IMO did not exist in law sadly, and the punishment which was available has been scandalously eroded.

Childish and petulant, FFS.

What is justice of not a form of revenge ?? Crimes should be punished, in this case the appropriate punishment IMO did not exist in law sadly, and the punishment which was available has been scandalously eroded.

Childish and petulant, FFS.

His crimes were punished, in a measured considered manner, not a violent and senseless moment.

Should Harry Roberts have spent the rest of his life in jail? Probably, I can't think of an argument in favour of his release. Killing him wouldn't have stopped subsequent murderers committing murder. Ask yourself, what's worse; a minutes pain then nothing, or a lifetime without freedom?

Advocates of the death penalty seem to miss the point of internment, it's not a softer choice than the death penalty, it's worse. Dying is easy, existing in jail is hard.

Capital punishment is not a deterrent, it doesn't reintroduce repentant criminals back into society, it isn't cheap, it is hugely fallible and it's barbaric.

Any argument to the contrary will surely be irrational.

I read somewhere (I had a quick google but can't verify this off the first few results at least) that in Nigeria they introduced the death penalty about 30 years ago for murder and car jacking after a spate of attacks. The murder rate went up but the carjacking didn't go down (the former because the assailants usually shot everyone in sight because they had nowt to lose). Although I do think certain offenders deserve death at best.

I also don't see how the case of a bloke serving 20-odd years more than the minimum is an example of an available punishment being scandalously eroded. Not that I think Roberts should ever have gotten out. There's far more 'scandalous' examples of criminals getting out far too early I think.

His crimes were punished, in a measured considered manner, not a violent and senseless moment.

Should Harry Roberts have spent the rest of his life in jail? Probably, I can't think of an argument in favour of his release. Killing him wouldn't have stopped subsequent murderers committing murder. Ask yourself, what's worse; a minutes pain then nothing, or a lifetime without freedom?

Advocates of the death penalty seem to miss the point of internment, it's not a softer choice than the death penalty, it's worse. Dying is easy, existing in jail is hard.

Capital punishment is not a deterrent, it doesn't reintroduce repentant criminals back into society, it isn't cheap, it is hugely fallible and it's barbaric.

Any argument to the contrary will surely be irrational.

I am not advocating the wholesale reintroduction of the death penalty, in Roberts' case however had it still been on the books it would have been proportionate, in my opinion, and the life sentence that was given should have meant that.

He'll be down the pub on Friday the twat.