Syriza test case.

Park Life

Aren't the people being given a chance to vote on it? What's more democratic than that?

Troika already said they weren't interested in waiting for the vote and withdrew what was on the table on Tue/Wed. They've only come back sniffing when they realised the Greeks were serious.

How can you have one currency without a safety net for the weaker economies? If they were serious them they should accept and be honest about recycling money to the weaker countries to bring then up to standard over time. This breakneck austerity reveals the Germans were only interested in saving their banks and now they are mostly out of the mire they show little interest and have started to overtly diss Syriza, like they did with Berlelsconi who they found too tricky (even though he was democratically elected).

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what way and why? I really can't call this until we see how the creditors respond tomorrow. If this prompts a deal that is better than Greece was offered then it may be a lot better for Greeks. Right now the message is the deal won't be better but Tsipras called this referendum because he wanted it for the next phase of the negotiation. Now that he has it, we have to expect some stronger bargaining and more nervousness from the finance ministers whose corporate sponsors will be feeling more and more edgy as market volatility kicks in.

How do you see if playing out? Varoufakis's game-theory would have led them to here so I think the Greeks have an outcome in mind.

Is there any possibility the Erics will tell the Greeks to get stuffed? It seems to me the Greek strategy is based on the idea that their creditors will have to negotiate a deal wth them.

Incidentally dunno why anyone should put up with years of austerity when you can borrow what you cant afford to fund neverland spending on your cronies, and renege on it because its the will of your people.

Varoufakis resigns.

"I was made aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and assorted ‘partners’, for my… ‘absence’ from its meetings. I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride."

:lol: It was fun while it lasted.

Full statement taken from his blog:

The referendum of 5th July will stay in history as a unique moment when a small European nation rose up against debt-bondage.

Like all struggles for democratic rights, so too this historic rejection of the Eurogroup’s 25th June ultimatum comes with a large price tag attached. It is, therefore, essential that the great capital bestowed upon our government by the splendid NO vote be invested immediately into a YES to a proper resolution – to an agreement that involves debt restructuring, less austerity, redistribution in favour of the needy, and real reforms.

Soon after the announcement of the referendum results, I was made aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and assorted ‘partners’, for my… ‘absence’ from its meetings; an idea that the Prime Minister judged to be potentially helpful to him in reaching an agreement. For this reason I am leaving the Ministry of Finance today.

I consider it my duty to help Alexis Tsipras exploit, as he sees fit, the capital that the Greek people granted us through yesterday’s referendum.

And I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride.

We of the Left know how to act collectively with no care for the privileges of office. I shall support fully Prime Minister Tsipras, the new Minister of Finance, and our government.

The superhuman effort to honour the brave people of Greece, and the famous OXI (NO) that they granted to democrats the world over, is just beginning.

Incidentally dunno why anyone should put up with years of austerity when you can borrow what you cant afford to fund neverland spending on your cronies, and renege on it because its the will of your people.

If you change that to 'fund globally unprecedented amounts of money on the nazi war machine' then you could pose the same question to the Germans. The Greeks voted for their debt cancellation in 1953 to allow the country to recover after WW2. Which was a bit more 'their fault' than the current Greek crisis.

Also, their debt is unsustainable and austerity wont solve it so this mornings escalating bond yields are as much the fault of Merkel and the financial leaders than the Greeks saying 'enough of this shit which clearly isn't working'.

I don't think that the result of the referendum is quite the bargaining chip Tsipras may have hoped for, it's more of an absolution of blame for what comes next. Greece's creditors aren't going to suddenly start offering major concessions and the Greeks are going to be more resolved than ever so it's only going to end with Greece's exit from the Euro and an absolute nightmare for the people of Greece in the short-term.

I think the resignation of Varoufakis suggests it is the bargaining chip they were hoping for as they clearly intend to use this to try to get a better deal. Whether they will remains to be seen, the creditors were never going to signal anything else pre-referendum.

Some of the best academic game-theorists went on to become very successful poker players.

Thing which most pissed me off this weekend: Merkel leaking her comments about Tsipras being 'hard and ideological'. How ironic given Tsipras points to the hard evidence of 5 years of recession as the reason to reject austerity and Merkel's policy is based on an economic prediction now universally refuted, no evidence from anywhere it works and a hope for the return to growth based on what we now call the 'confidence fairies'. Ideological indeed you daft frau.

I am not clicking on a link that begins "i.quim" while at work.

That will happen later, in the comfort of my own home, lights down and a little Skrillex to accompany the angriest wank I can muster.