Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace

Ayatollah Hermione

I was thinking more about Ashley/Charnley teaching the fans who demanded Pardew's removal a lesson to make them look daft.

There were very few managers that could do worse than Pardew, and they've conspired to come up with one. Everyone who cautioned protesters has been proved right in their fears of ineptitude in bringing in a replacement. Despite no realistic candidates saying they wouldn't consider Newcastle because of the owner.

Chances are we'll stick with Carver next season as well and keep the charade going.

this was always at the back of my mind when i warned me might end up looking back at pardew's era more favourably than we imagined at the time we were all saying his time was up.

it's not that pardew is any good, but kinnear was still fresh in the memory and pardew wasn't as bad as his potential replacement could be. and if carver turns out to be his eventual replacement, which doesn't look unlikely (despite fish's confidence we'll get a decent continental coach in the summer) that will definitely be the case. imagine pining for pardew man - what a depressing thought that is.

it's enough to make you wonder what the point is. and yet ashley gets away with it because fans stick with the club regardless of the shite he continues to serve up.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revolutions fail not cos of ideas but due to the fact that the masses are basically donkeys (can be easily swayed or made passive). People who enjoy the spectacle of football aren't really that interested in remaking a club in their own image or into something for the greater good ie the community or for some kind of long term overarching ethos. It is a small percentage who have a vision or love of football who see its role greater than 'a day out'. And now the hammer blow is the TV money which has taken supporter power completely out of the equation (think this was always the aim).

All activities are over time monetised and colonised by capitalism and so finally it has become with football. I can't see any escape but the slow decline of the game into circus of millionaire - preening players and oligarch and delitante owners who treat clubs as personal vehicles for publicity and entertainment.

The bodies of football are corrupt and in the pockets of the media and multi-nationals so I don't see them coming to the aid of the game, a game they are hell bent on exploting and destroying as an expression of mass consciousnes and tribal focus.

They won't...

Put a cap on wages.

Rule against the loan system (exploited by the big clubs)

Put a cap on spend as against debt. (Should be a debt ceiling which clubs can't go above and no player transactions if the go above it).

Limit foreign players.

Go back to one sub and one keeper sub (this is a huge advantage for rich clubs with star benches).

Push for fan ownership and board level representation.

Investigate phoney sponsorship (Emirates)

and miriad of other things...

Edited by Park Life

I'm still pretty convinced that Cisse got us to 5th...not that it would have been a bad year without his goals, but he was definitely highly contributive - it's not like the sorts of goals he was scoring were a direct result of Pardew's tactics.

That said, to his credit, our defence was well organised that year, up until Taylor got injured.

Perhaps an argument could be made that if we'd properly replaced people that we lost from that season, Pardew would have had an easier time of it, but at the end of the day he was representative of a regime that brings mediocrity and failure, and that was his choice. Where I think he was undoubtedly a failure was in player development. It's quite telling that the 5th season was the one where we had a sudden influx of good players, before Pardew had the opportunity to train them down to his style and results starting going awry.

As such, replacing Pardew with someone who can actually develop and improve players makes a lot of sense (assuming you consider that the club actually cares about this philosophy). That person isn't Carver, which is why I find his appointment incredibly tedious.

Aye that season we come 5th was the combination of a lot of fortunate things coming together. We went a full season with very few injuries, Cabaye and Tiote were utterly class together and Ba was scoring at a nigh on unsustainable rate, which ended just in time for Cisse to come in and start scoring at an unsustainable rate. I do give Pardew credit for that season as he was definitely part of it but we never really dominated many teams that year, we hung on to 1 goal leads more often then not. Iirc it was also an odd season with Chelsea and Liverpool being pretty shit.

I agree with HF in that not many can really do much worse than Pardew did, even though we all want more investment he had been given squads that should have played to a higher standard than they did (the season they come 5th aside), we went on historic losing streaks and took thumping after thumping. He regularly held players back, Cabella is a clear example he has been our best player since being brought back into the fold, Pardew fans can claim that dropping him from the side prompted him to work harder but that's a stretch imo as I don't think Pardew would have been giving him the game time Carver has been anyway. We also never really got to see the lad play too much before he was dropped and made only cameo appearances. The coaching staff at this club is a joke, the shite amount of chances we create is a marker of that, we've relied on players going through hot streaks rather than getting consistently decent performances out of them.

Carver is wank no doubt but I'm still glad Pardew is gone, at least it gives the hope that we might see a decent coach come in (of course there is always the chance it'll just be Carver but tbh we'd mostly all given up hope with Pardew anyway so it's not like much would change in that respect). Perhaps they wont do a great deal better position wise (maybe hovering just below Euro spots) but we might actually enjoy watching football games which is something that has been a real rarity under the Pardew/Carver reign.

Aye that season we come 5th was the combination of a lot of fortunate things coming together. We went a full season with very few injuries, Cabaye and Tiote were utterly class together and Ba was scoring at a nigh on unsustainable rate, which ended just in time for Cisse to come in and start scoring at an unsustainable rate. I do give Pardew credit for that season as he was definitely part of it but we never really dominated many teams that year, we hung on to 1 goal leads more often then not. Iirc it was also an odd season with Chelsea and Liverpool being pretty shit.

I agree with HF in that not many can really do much worse than Pardew did, even though we all want more investment he had been given squads that should have played to a higher standard than they did (the season they come 5th aside), we went on historic losing streaks and took thumping after thumping. He regularly held players back, Cabella is a clear example he has been our best player since being brought back into the fold, Pardew fans can claim that dropping him from the side prompted him to work harder but that's a stretch imo as I don't think Pardew would have been giving him the game time Carver has been anyway. We also never really got to see the lad play too much before he was dropped and made only cameo appearances. The coaching staff at this club is a joke, the shite amount of chances we create is a marker of that, we've relied on players going through hot streaks rather than getting consistently decent performances out of them.

Carver is wank no doubt but I'm still glad Pardew is gone, at least it gives the hope that we might see a decent coach come in (of course there is always the chance it'll just be Carver but tbh we'd mostly all given up hope with Pardew anyway so it's not like much would change in that respect). Perhaps they wont do a great deal better position wise (maybe hovering just below Euro spots) but we might actually enjoy watching football games which is something that has been a real rarity under the Pardew/Carver reign.

i'm glad pardew is gone too. but i'm not confident his replacement will be any better, particularly if it's carver.

We're miles off getting relegated. I reckon Burnley and Leicester will go down, with any of QPR, Villa or Hull going with them. Hopefully Villa.

it's very unlikely we'll go down this year. it would take a fuck up so big, i doubt even the ashley/carver pairing would be capable of it.

i question why anybody would want to see us relegated though. as much as it would hurt the fat cunt, it could hurt us in the long term a lot more.

i'm glad pardew is gone too. but i'm not confident his replacement will be any better, particularly if it's carver.

I'm not either, it's just nice to have a chance for a change rather than an indefinate future under Alan Pardew. Of course it could be Carver but tbh that's no worse than an indefinate future under Pardew for me as it shows the same sort of ambition and probably a somewhat similar brand/quality of football.

You have to put that 5th into context. Apart from the aforementioned things like Ba's then Cisse's incredible scoring runs, look at the league that year. Bar the top two, all the major players were pretty ordinary. Chelsea 6th, Liverpool's 8th being I think there worst (or joint worst finish) since Shankley got them promoted to the top flight. Even the top two, I mean that Man Utd side, albeit with the caveat they were managed by Alex Ferguson, were very ordinary by their standards. And they only lost the league on goal difference. Good achievement in the league that year for which Pardew quite rightly got credit but not that big a deal against that backdrop.

I think his time here was characterised by having a decent plan a when the players were fit and not really having a back-up when things went a bit tits up. He didn't really need to tinker with things a lot that season.