Newcastle United vs. Crystal Palace

Ayatollah Hermione

Now that the immediate frustration has worn off - are we being too hard on Carver? Yes we were shit, yes he pulled off our attacking players, but he is clearly a limited manager and perhaps his defensive actions salvaged us a point in the end. I'm not saying that makes him worth keeping around as he most definitely isn't, but if he didn't have it in him to work out a strategy to win the game, at least he didn't lose it.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the immediate frustration has worn off - are we being too hard on Carver? Yes we were shit, yes he pulled off our attacking players, but he is clearly a limited manager and perhaps his defensive actions salvaged us a point in the end. I'm not saying that makes him worth keeping around as he most definitely isn't, but if he didn't have it in him to work out a strategy to win the game, at least he didn't lose it.

In no way would I advocate his getting the job full-time but a fair few seemed to be predicting a relegation battle at the very least. He's gotten us practically safe with a third of the season still to go so he's done his job barring an unprecedented run of results. It was a 'good solid point' if you like. Think they'd won all their home games since Pardew went back there.

"For a variety of reasons, the Newcastle supporters ran out of patience with me as manager of their club, but I can assure each and every one of them that I bear no grudge.

"You love your club more than any owner or manager and the pressure that goes with a massive job like that is well known before you take on the challenge. Let's all move on and cherish the good days we had together."

Alan bears no grudges- he's bigger than that.

Thank fuck, now I can go about my day content.

In no way would I advocate his getting the job full-time but a fair few seemed to be predicting a relegation battle at the very least. He's gotten us practically safe with a third of the season still to go so he's done his job barring an unprecedented run of results. It was a 'good solid point' if you like. Think they'd won all their home games since Pardew went back there.

Also, any point away from home is a good point.

Annoying that we've surrendered the lead in the last two games against teams around us in the league, mind you.

Genuinely over the moon I missed this now, sounds like it was even worse than I expected. Reading the quotes this morning and Carver is definitely on the wind up, every interview sounds like he's being sarcastic as fuck .

Also just read an excerpt of Pardew's programme notes, he's in the fucking wind up aswell .

"I had a fabulous time as Newcastle United manager," Pardew wrote in his programme notes.

"We took the team to a fifth place finish in the Premier League in the 2010/11 season and it is an achievement that can never be taken away from any of us who were involved in it.

"If you look at my net spend we had in my time at Newcastle on transfers, you can only conclude it was a successful period because the club I left are established in the Premier League with a platform to go to the next level. It is a legacy that I am proud to have on my record.

"Much was muttered and written during my time in the north east, and as this is the first chance I have had to talk directly to the Newcastle supporters and the players who worked so hard for me since my departure, it is a great opportunity to reflect on a period that was much-discussed and often unfairly judged in my opinion.

"For a variety of reasons, the Newcastle supporters ran out of patience with me as manager of their club, but I can assure each and every one of them that I bear no grudge.

"You love your club more than any owner or manager and the pressure that goes with a massive job like that is well known before you take on the challenge. Let's all move on and cherish the good days we had together."

the man's a complete knacker but i actually think he did about as well as could be expected considering the lack of backing in his time here. yes, the football was dire. but no one saw that 5th place finish coming. he did well that year, the rest of his time here it was probably about par, given the lack of money invested on players, the one relegation battle season aside. thifty investment + average manager ÷ excellent scout = mid table fodder.

Edited by Dr Gloom

the man's a complete knacker but i actually think he did about as well as could be expected considering the lack of backing in his time here. yes, the football was dire. but no one saw that 5th place finish coming. he did well that year, the rest of his time here it was probably about par, given the lack of money invested on players, the one relegation battle season aside. thifty investment + average manager ÷ excellent scout = mid table fodder.

Nope.

Nope.

carver is doing a decent job of making him look alright. the truth is we're never going to amount to much with ashley at the helm. i'd be surprised if we finish 5th again while the fat cunt is running the shop.

Edited by Dr Gloom

carver is doing a decent job of making him look alright. the truth is we're never going to amount to much with ashley at the helm. i'd be surprised if we finish 5th again while the fat cunt is running the shop.

I don't think Carver is making Pardew look good, I think Carver is making Carver look as bad as Pardew. We're all pulling our hair out at his decisions (Cabella off in the stoke game, etc.).

I think we'll be around top half with a good manager under Ashley, but we're not going to do much better than that, true enough. One point to make is that we're not going to be doing much more than that with any (realistic) owner, but at least the football might be better and the ambitions higher.

I'd be surprised too.

However, Alan is a bad manager and without Carr supplying the players and Ashley supplying the unflinching support, he'll be found out soon enough.

I don't think Carver is making Pardew look good, I think Carver is making Carver look as bad as Pardew. We're all pulling our hair out at his decisions (Cabella off in the stoke game, etc.).

I think we'll be around top half with a good manager under Ashley, but we're not going to do much better than that, true enough. One point to make is that we're not going to be doing much more than that with any (realistic) owner, but at least the football might be better and the ambitions higher.

I'd be surprised too.

However, Alan is a bad manager and without Carr supplying the players and Ashley supplying the unflinching support, he'll be found out soon enough.

right, which is why pardew did as well as expected, better than expected if we're honest, given he's not a good manager and no one wanted the cunt.

so your "nope" really should have been a "yes" in agreement.

right, which is why pardew did as well as expected, better than expected if we're honest, given he's not a good manager and no one wanted the cunt.

so your "nope" really should have been a "yes" in agreement.

I'm not giving a man credit for being bad at his job and an arsehole, that'd be the act of a mad man.

I'm not giving a man credit for being bad at his job and an arsehole, that'd be the act of a mad man.

you give him no credit at all for finishing 5th? or acknowledgement that he surpassed expectations in doing so?

I'm still pretty convinced that Cisse got us to 5th...not that it would have been a bad year without his goals, but he was definitely highly contributive - it's not like the sorts of goals he was scoring were a direct result of Pardew's tactics.

That said, to his credit, our defence was well organised that year, up until Taylor got injured.

Perhaps an argument could be made that if we'd properly replaced people that we lost from that season, Pardew would have had an easier time of it, but at the end of the day he was representative of a regime that brings mediocrity and failure, and that was his choice. Where I think he was undoubtedly a failure was in player development. It's quite telling that the 5th season was the one where we had a sudden influx of good players, before Pardew had the opportunity to train them down to his style and results starting going awry.

As such, replacing Pardew with someone who can actually develop and improve players makes a lot of sense (assuming you consider that the club actually cares about this philosophy). That person isn't Carver, which is why I find his appointment incredibly tedious.

I was thinking more about Ashley/Charnley teaching the fans who demanded Pardew's removal a lesson to make them look daft.

There were very few managers that could do worse than Pardew, and they've conspired to come up with one. Everyone who cautioned protesters has been proved right in their fears of ineptitude in bringing in a replacement. Despite no realistic candidates saying they wouldn't consider Newcastle because of the owner.

Chances are we'll stick with Carver next season as well and keep the charade going.