Saved the day yesterday afternoon amidst the proverbial chaos that ensued after the blizzards. Taxi firms were in meltdown, roads were gridlocked. I set the Uber app off searching for a driver, within a minute I had one on the way. We manoeuvred our way through Gateshead and got to the destination safely. Job done. Meanwhile all other Taxi firms were ignoring their phones and scratching their heads wondering what the fuck is happening.

Saved the day yesterday afternoon amidst the proverbial chaos that ensued after the blizzards. Taxi firms were in meltdown, roads were gridlocked. I set the Uber app off searching for a driver, within a minute I had one on the way. We manoeuvred our way through Gateshead and got to the destination safely. Job done. Meanwhile all other Taxi firms were ignoring their phones and scratching their heads wondering what the fuck is happening.

Meanehile, in Boldon, the simmering seethe....

20c2f184a419e3386ccbfe11bd5c6361.jpg

I think you and Uber should get a room :lol:

I spent 50 sheets on an uber home from my work party. It's usually about 15 but I drunkenly failed to register the warning when I made the order that it'd be 2.7 times the usual price due to massive demand (one of the busiest nights out of the year with half the town having Xmas parties).

First bad experience with them, though it was exacerbated by massive roadworks around elephant and castle. What is usually a 20 minute bop took an hour so a black cab probably would have been just as much. Plus I shared the cab with a right dullard from work. I ran out of small talk about 15 minutes into the journey

How is instantaneously getting a cab in London on the busiest night of the year a bad experience? If you had not used Uber you could still wait half an hour for a black cab and end up paying about the same. A mini cab would probably have been an hour. If you're paying attention, the dynamic pricing model clarifies the choices you have.

What were you doing in a cab? Keep your foot on CT's throat - Ubers only from here on in.

ITV ran one of those Dispatch programs on UBER tonight. I wouldn't lower myself and get in a black cab mate.

They also pulled them up on the corporate tax they pay, it should be the government that is being questioned on a law change. The government allow this to happen, no laws are being broken. It would upset too many of their friends in the city so nothing will change on that score.

How is instantaneously getting a cab in London on the busiest night of the year a bad experience? If you had not used Uber you could still wait half an hour for a black cab and end up paying about the same. A mini cab would probably have been an hour. If you're paying attention, the dynamic pricing model clarifies the choices you have.

For the reasons I already mentioned. I appreciated not having to wait around trying to flag one down and minicabs in the city are non existent. But it was a bankraid and the driver didn't know about the work going down at elephant, nor could he plot a short cut. The one thing you'd say about a black cab is they know all the tricks and where the roadworks are to avoid.