Eurovision

Meenzer

First of all, I do not remnotely support demonstrations like this in this context (if genuine). But honestly, I think Israel should have been banned from this years competition. We banned Russia. Whilst there is not direct equivalence ot what Russia and Israel have done, there are some similarities regarding indiscrimionate attacks on civilians (which is surely beyond doubt at this point). On a practical level, it would have avoided this. I suspect we will also see some perverse scores, as voting is positive, and I imagine a sizable proportion of each population will back her for religious/political reasons. 

ME religious politics pollutes everything, even events that are supposed to bring us together. 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Just cancel the event. Forever 

Angry Half Baked GIF

Love EUrovision me. Signals the start of summer. 

Plus, recently its had massive perv factor. 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Is this really happening?! Fucking hell. 

Say what you like about Israel - and I agree to a point with Renton - but this is antisemitism. It’s massively on the rise in “progressive” Europe, and is no longer confined to the far right. 

She’s a singer representing her country in the Eurovision Song Contest ffs. For all we know she’s as appalled at what is going on in Gaza as the rest of us. 

• Like 4

Aye it's disgusting. There's video of the Finnish (I think) entry doing a daft dance with her, and he's now having to distance himself from the clip or some such shit. 

Just two young people having a daft dance together ffs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Say what you like about Israel - and I agree to a point with Renton - but this is antisemitism. It’s massively on the rise in “progressive” Europe, and is no longer confined to the far right. 

She’s a singer representing her country in the Eurovision Song Contest ffs. For all we know she’s as appalled at what is going on in Gaza as the rest of us. 

Antisemitism is partly, probably mainly, on the rise today as a direct result of the actions of state of Israel. This is not to condone it of course but neither do I think the holocaust can be used to justify Israel's actions, which I have heard said. That is, any criticism of Israel and its actions on Gaza are somehow antisemitic. Which is an argument well rehearsed on here and I think generally agreed with. 

I don't know what this lass's personal beliefs are and I don't agree with this protest against her at all, I wish it wasn't happening. But if you're going to ban Russia from international cultural and sporting events, I think it is consistent to also ban Israel at this stage, since they persist to engage in action which is getting close to genocidal. It's a shame for the individuals but I guess it's better than being in Gaza right now. 

Never mind that shite, we have radio for stupid people on at work all day and they haven’t played our entry once in the last week which suggests to me it’s shite and this young Oliver chap is going to bring shame on this nation once more. Get him on a barge

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Never mind that shite, we have radio for stupid people on at work all day and they haven’t played our entry once in the last week which suggests to me it’s shite and this young Oliver chap is going to bring shame on this nation once more. Get him on a barge

Its shite :cuppa: 

I’ll be returning home from SJP whilst it’s on so have watched both semi finals and voted for Lithuania to go through which they did. Also liked Estonia and Armenia. Most of the disco dollies/dude ones are dreadful. The ones with a hint of ethnic music and/or loud guitars are ok. Switzerland is “little house on the prairie” but is favourite to win, Israel is quite a decent ballady thing and the Netherlands is gimmicky shite. But I think that’s your top 3. Speaking of the Netherlands, it looks like the attention seeking twat may have today ruined things for himself and others…

5 hours ago, Alex said:

Just cancel the event. Forever 

I've just met all the people who agree with you

DNvst4.jpg

• Haha 7

34 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Its shite :cuppa: 

I’ll be returning home from SJP whilst it’s on so have watched both semi finals and voted for Lithuania to go through which they did. Also liked Estonia and Armenia. Most of the disco dollies/dude ones are dreadful. The ones with a hint of ethnic music and/or loud guitars are ok. Switzerland is “little house on the prairie” but is favourite to win, Israel is quite a decent ballady thing and the Netherlands is gimmicky shite. But I think that’s your top 3. Speaking of the Netherlands, it looks like the attention seeking twat may have today ruined things for himself and others…

It’s a bit of a shock to find the Dutch being ridiculously racist…

Image.gif.145175655da6943640607e2abc3b9187.gif

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I've just met all the people who agree with you

DNvst4.jpg

Is that Sandy? 

Lovely lass, stinks of bins. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I was just kidding really, Meenzer. I don’t really care and it’s harmless fun. I certainly will give it a wide berth, however. I didn’t like it when I was a kid because of how long it took and the lack of alternative channels for your Saturday night entertainment though. 

Edited by Alex

One of my bosses is going to Brighton for a Eurovision weekend. You’ll be astonished when I tell you he’s gay :lol: 

• Haha 2

I have to confess, whilst I’m about 80% utterly indifferent to the whole shenanigans , I very much hope that the Israeli lass wins by a fucking landslide, just to give all the social media posture-merchants a nugget of shit in their Sunday morning turmeric shots. 

It’s a fucking song contest, ffs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alex said:

One of my bosses is going to Brighton for a Eurovision weekend. You’ll be astonished when I tell you he’s gay :lol: 

Maybe he’s just going to expand the circle of his friends? 

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Maybe he’s just going to expand the circle of his friends? 

Alreet, John Inman 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I have to confess, whilst I’m about 80% utterly indifferent to the whole shenanigans , I very much hope that the Israeli lass wins by a fucking landslide, just to give all the social media posture-merchants a nugget of shit in their Sunday morning turmeric shots. 

It’s a fucking song contest, ffs. 

I think she will tbh for the sympathy vote. It's ridiculously political, take Ukraine winning two years ago, ironic since we had our only really good song in decades. 

It's not just a singing contest. It's a geopolitical demonstration of soft power*. ;)

* Hence UK "null point" most years. 

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I very much hope that the Israeli lass wins

Aye, that poor lass has had to endure so much…

Seriously though? Israel has murdered tens of thousands of innocent civilians and we’re supposed to cheer the waving of the Israeli flags after yet another twelve points? Get to fuck.

• Like 1