Holidays 2024

McFaul

That’s the one thing I always worry about with holidaying in the UK - you’re in the hands of the weather gods. 

Still, proximity to Keswick means there should be some options for a rainy day.

Stome circle sound good. Thanks for the tip. Any other good walks local to where we’re staying that you’d recommend? Bear in mind we have kids in the party who will then be aged from 11 down to 3 

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s the one thing I always worry about with holidaying in the UK - you’re in the hands of the weather gods. 

Stome circle sound good. Thanks for the tip. Any other good walks local to where we’re staying that you’d recommend? Bear in mind we have kids in the party who will then be aged from 11 down to 3 

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/borrowdale-and-derwent-water/trails/borger-dalr-geology-walk-borrowdale

This walk isn't too far away from you, bottom end of Derwentwater - I've done it a few times and it seems pretty manageable, you certainly see plenty of families with kids doing it, and the older ones should enjoy the clamber up to the top of Castle Crag, which is a sensible height (nothing overly strenuous) but gives you some great views. Probably not one for the very littlest ones, but someone can always stay with them and paddle around the river while the older ones take on the climb. :) And there's a couple of decent cafés in Grange too.

Definitely recommend sniffing round the National Trust website for similar walks (including more leisurely ones that everyone can do), there's some good stuff on there. Anything around Derwentwater tends to be pretty lovely, even if you just stick to the lakeside and enjoy the views from ground level.

There's also a surprisingly good tapas and beer place in Keswick (http://esbarkeswick.co.uk/) but probably not for a family trip. :D One to remember for when you're next back though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Loads really but this page has some good ideas:

http://www.keswick.org/what-to-do/familywalks

• Like 1

No matter how shitty the weather, no matter how much the kids whine on or do your nut in, no matter how fucking desperate you get, don’t go to the Pencil Museum in Keswick. 

It’s exactly as shite as it sounds.  

If its not too windy/pissing down, hiring a rowing boat and taking the kids out to St.Herberts Island on Derwentwater is a good way to fill a morning/afternoon. 

If it is windy and pissing down, the Honister Slate Mine is a great trip, for kids and adults alike. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

If its not too windy/pissing down, hiring a rowing boat and taking the kids out to St.Herberts Island on Derwentwater is a good way to fill a morning/afternoon. 

On 08/01/2018 at 09:17, Dr Gloom said:

While I think on, MF's mention of Honister reminded me of this excellent circular drive which starts at Keswick:

http://www.lakedistrictdrives.com/keswick-borrowdale-buttermere.html

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

While I think on, MF's mention of Honister reminded me of this excellent circular drive which starts at Keswick:

http://www.lakedistrictdrives.com/keswick-borrowdale-buttermere.html

Although the road is frighteningly narrow north of buttermere (Lorton area). Pain in the arse if you encounter a bus the other direction.

Btw Catbells is the classic starter hill for kids, 3 is probably a bit youbg though.

I'm just back from centre parcs at penrith. Cheapest weekend of the year apparently. Swimming in the outside pool when the lake was frozen was pleasant. 

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

No matter how shitty the weather, no matter how much the kids whine on or do your nut in, no matter how fucking desperate you get, don’t go to the Pencil Museum in Keswick. 

Sounds like you're easily lead.

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024