Yes Gemmill...

catmag

59 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

70s also gave us Hip Hop and the beginnings of Electronic Music.

It might have was the last great decade for guitar bands, when rock (and roll) was king

80's took Hip hop, electronica and then the rave/clubbing revolution and took the mainstream and the underground away from guitar lead music.

I'd say the 80s were far more influential long term. The 70s were more of a last thrash of the rock and roll explosion

Hmmmm…in a way what Im getting at is that I think some of the tribes or their near descendants listed above are still with us. My point is the sheer quantity and variety of what was new in the 70s exceeds other decades. You could say northern soul informed the rave scene 15 years further down the line too eg :cuppa: 

Alex has alluded to the fact that talking of decades is entirely arbitrary. Was 1979 much different from 1980? Music has just evolved. The best music captures the zeitgest within an era, and the type of music is down to personal taste, which is heavily influenced by your youth. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I was just listening to this podcast

Recommended by @PaddockLad himself I believe, and they claim culture and music wise the 80s started in 1979

“the eieventies” circa early 79- late 82 :lol: 

I’d recommend that podcast to @Alex @Renton   @Meenzer  On the pod they state the two best years for popular music are 1979 and 1981. 1980 was a throwback to the bad 70s, not the good 70s that am on about. Hope that’s all clear :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

“the eieventies” circa early 79- late 82 :lol: 

I’d recommend that podcast to @Alex @Renton   @Meenzer  On the pod they state the two best years for popular music are 1979 and 1981. 1980 was a throwback to the bad 70s, not the good 70s that am on about. Hope that’s all clear :thumbup:

I beg to differ! 1980 had "Woman In Love", "Together We Are Beautiful", "D.I.S.C.O.", "I'm In The Mood For Dancing"... St Winifred's School Choir... :lol:

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I beg to differ! 1980 had "Woman In Love", "Together We Are Beautiful", "D.I.S.C.O.", "I'm In The Mood For Dancing"... St Winifred's School Choir... :lol:

You’ve missed “Crying” by Don McLean but yeah :D Try the pod, they discuss the Nolans (they have their own genre: “mum disco” :good: ) endlessly 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

they discuss the Nolans (they have their own genre: “mum disco” :good: ) endlessly 

I was thinking, “ Who the fuck would go and see the Nolans?”, then I thought 

“ Did they actually do concerts?”

This website answers that. 

https://www.concertarchives.org/bands/the-nolans#concert-table

1981- 1 Concert

1995- 1 Concert

2009- 22 feckin’ Concerts

2013- 1 Concert. 

25 concerts in their career. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The dude did no singing for Boney M

Aye. That rings a bell. I think it was one of the little fact tidbits on TOTP 1970-whatever. The singer was white but they had the one in the group miming so they were an all black act, which suited their image more. Absolutely mad really given how famous they were that all he did was mime in dodgy disco outfits 

9 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

And then the producer went on to pull the same trick with Milli Vanilli :lol:

They got the Grammy for best vocal performance or something didn’t they? :lol: 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. That rings a bell. I think it was one of the little fact tidbits on TOTP 1970-whatever. The singer was white but they had the one in the group miming so they were an all black act, which suited their image more. Absolutely mad really given how famous they were that all he did was mime in dodgy disco outfits 

They found him in a disco and the producer liked his dancing for a front man.

boney m dance GIF

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I've always had a weakness for fantastic pop acts and Boney M were certainly one of them.

I distinctly remember buying London Calling the day it came out, and ending up buying Boney M's greatest hits at the same time

Only in Germany would someone look at him and think “wow what a graceful dancer”

I remember in touching the void, when Joe Simpson was crawling back to base camp with a shattered leg, "Brown girl in the ring" saved his life. He got the lyrics "show me your motion" stuck in his head as a ear worm and the thought of dying to this kept him moving in agony. So, if nothing else, Boney M have saved at least one life. 👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I've always had a weakness for fantastic pop acts and Boney M were certainly one of them.

I distinctly remember buying London Calling the day it came out, and ending up buying Boney M's greatest hits at the same time

He definitely had Pablo Escobar’s number. 

• Haha 2

It bothers me no end that a spreadsheet guy is professing to know all about music in the dead person thread.

Music of an era and what is the commercially successful music of the same era are two different things. Maybe, and I say maybe, one will influence the other 5 to 10 years later but never the two shall meet at the same time.

• Like 1