2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Its a mutually beneficial arrangement in the same way it happens in the states with billionaire backers of presidential campaigns. May invited Dacre to a private dinner. I've no doubt that May and her spin team have had discussions with Dacre and Murdoch about derailing the Labour resurgence. 

Youre being a pedant

I still think of Gordon Brown as overall a decent bloke but he's stained by having those same cozy chats with Dacre. 

I suppose you could say it's pragmatic but it still stinks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Diane Abbott relieved from duty due to ill health

Probably stressed to fuck having being slaughtered in the press 

"I'll health"

about time she was removed from a position she never should have been in before she does more damage to corbyn's campaign.

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

"I'll health"

about time she was removed from a position she never should have been in before she does more damage to corbyn's campaign.

Not much campaign left to damage now, it's over tomorrow. They've sidelined her for precisely the reason you've set out, but for my view it's not going to make much difference.

The polls haven't moved noticeably for a few days, which means that the only hope we have is literally the youth vote. Best case scenario, that pegs Labour level with the Tories. Worst case scenario, the Tories get their 60 seat majority. Looks like the majority is inevitable based on that but I think if we can redo this in 5 years time, the policies will win out.

i'm struggling to feel too sorry for her. she's clearly incompetent. i feel more sorry for corbyn having so few alternatives to put in his shadow cabinet after most of the party deserted him.

if you don't know the sums, or haven't read a report, say so. she would have looked way less of a berk if she'd just been honest instead of pretending she had a clue in those car crash interviews. i'm also pretty sure she'll return to the back bench in the unlikely event of a corbyn victory.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/06/diane-abbott-bullying-shadow-home-secretary-attacks?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Not much campaign left to damage now, it's over tomorrow. They've sidelined her for precisely the reason you've set out, but for my view it's not going to make much difference.

The polls haven't moved noticeably for a few days, which means that the only hope we have is literally the youth vote. Best case scenario, that pegs Labour level with the Tories. Worst case scenario, the Tories get their 60 seat majority. Looks like the majority is inevitable based on that but I think if we can redo this in 5 years time, the policies will win out.

if these policies stick and labour find themselves a younger, more charismatic and - crucially - more pragmatic leader than corbyn, they might have a chance in 5 years time. 

5 years time though ffs. think about what state the country is going to be in by then. i'll be pushing 44. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

if these policies stick and labour find themselves a younger, more charismatic and - crucially - more pragmatic leader than corbyn, they might have a chance in 5 years time. 

5 years time though ffs. think about what state the country is going to be in by then. i'll be pushing 44. 

Aye it's a grim thought, but on the other hand, this is a poisoned chalice of an election if ever there was one. There is realistically very little any party can do to make a success of Brexit, and I'm not going to be entirely unhappy if it's the Tories who have to handle (and pay for) that.

But yes, 5 years is a fucking long time.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

When the plp come out of hiding, I think they should acknowledge the general popularity of the manifesto as well as the engagement with members. 

I fear they'll go tory lite again though. 

Five years plus the seven they've already had. This election is a huge wasted opportunity for Labour, the Tories are there for the taking.

As for poisoned chalice, never has it been more critical for us to have proper leadership. The country will be in tatters in five years and labour are guilty of letting that happen. 

Just now, NJS said:

When the plp come out of hiding, I think they should acknowledge the general popularity of the manifesto as well as the engagement with members. 

I fear they'll go tory lite again though. 

They'd have to change the voting mechanism for that to work though, and even if they could manage that, would they have the balls to do it? The party would absolutely haemorrhage members. Even the longstanding ones would surely have to reconsider based on how successful this campaign seems to have been.

We'll have to see how it goes, but I think if nothing else this election campaign will have severely damaged any hopes the PLP had of people just letting them take the party back to the centre.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Five years plus the seven they've already had. This election is a huge wasted opportunity for Labour, the Tories are there for the taking.

As for poisoned chalice, never has it been more critical for us to have proper leadership. The country will be in tatters in five years and labour are guilty of letting that happen. 

The country is going to be in tatters in 5 years either way, irrespective of who is in charge. Unless you think there's some deal that can be struck that actually doesn't torpedo the economy?

Edited by Rayvin

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

They'd have to change the voting mechanism for that to work though, and even if they could manage that, would they have the balls to do it? The party would absolutely haemorrhage members. Even the longstanding ones would surely have to reconsider based on how successful this campaign seems to have been.

We'll have to see how it goes, but I think if nothing else this election campaign will have severely damaged any hopes the PLP had of people just letting them take the party back to the centre.

depends on the result. may failing to boost her majority will be seen as a partial victory, given where labour were int he polls, and how the plp walked away from corbyn. 

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Is this fuck a successful election campaign! Corbyn is still likely to get a smaller share of the votes than Ed Miliband. Whilst being up against Theresa fucking May!

When you set the bar as low as Corbyn has, it's easy to convince yourself you have done well. He hasn't. He's an unmitigated disaster.

(Probably, we'll see and I'm happy to eat humble pie if I'm wrong).

Is this fuck a successful election campaign! Corbyn is still likely to get a smaller share of the votes than Ed Miliband. Whilst being up against Theresa fucking May!

When you set the bar as low as Corbyn has, it's easy to convince yourself you have done well. He hasn't. He's an unmitigated disaster.

Kinnock failed miserably against major in 92. 

He did resign but I'd say this campaign has been better than that one. 

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

So is it fair to say that I am the only one who is confident JC will be PM on Friday?

Yes. And that Mike Ashley would have us in the champions league final within 5 years 6 years ago.

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

Kinnock failed miserably against major in 92. 

He did resign but I'd say this campaign has been better than that one. 

So you're comparing Corbyn with another failure and saying that makes him a success? :lol:

Major won with a majority of 21. I'm fairly certain Theresa fucking May! Will get at least double that. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

Is that not because Labour voters like you, both inside and outside the party, spat their dummies out and did their level best to undermine him at every corner. Imagine how well he'd be doing if he had been supported 

• Like 1

So you're comparing Corbyn with another failure and saying that makes him a success? :lol:

Major won with a majority of 21. I'm fairly certain Theresa fucking May! Will get at least double that. 

Aye but even you have to admit that the PLP misreading of the public mood and constant attempts to undermine the guy have damaged Corbyn. He's had to face his own party, the media and the Tories. In fact, of all three I'd say the Tories landed the fewest blows.

Whatever happens tomorrow I think it's pretty hard to knock the Labour campaign, particularly given the backdrop. He's performed well personally and produced a stand out manifesto. Imagine how much better it could have been if he had some of the deserters backing him. (I.e. Hillary Ben instead of Abbott etc).

In comparison, the Tory campaign has been a disaster from start to finish.

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is that not because Labour voters like you, both inside and outside the party, spat their dummies out and did their level best to undermine him at every corner. Imagine how well he'd be doing if he had been supported 

This. Hold your hands up Renty.

Just now, Renton said:

Yes, both relative failures but I don't think Kinnock is met with the same invective. He's seen as bridging the gap between the Thatcher  landslides and labour being able to win with Blair which I think is fair. 

Brexit has changed the picture massively, given that result and how it's affected the voters, I can't see any position labour could have taken to make a huge difference. 

It also has to be said that Scottish devolution was a massive mistake from a UK Labour Party pov given the number of seats lost due to failure to come to terms with the snp. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Yes, both relative failures but I don't think Kinnock is met with the same invective. He's seen as bridging the gap between the Thatcher  landslides and labour being able to win with Blair which I think is fair. 

Brexit has changed the picture massively, given that result and how it's affected the voters, I can't see any position labour could have taken to make a huge difference. 

It also has to be said that Scottish devolution was a massive mistake from a UK Labour Party pov given the number of seats lost due to failure to come to terms with the snp. 

Well said.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

Aye but even you have to admit that the PLP misreading of the public mood and constant attempts to undermine the guy have damaged Corbyn. He's had to face his own party, the media and the Tories. In fact, of all three I'd say the Tories landed the fewest blows.

Not sure the PLP misread the public mood. Just nobody anticipated just how inept May was, which for me makes thus even more frustrating.

Corbyn isn't a leader. It's as simple as that. If he had had any decency, he would have resigned when he lost the PLP. By doggedly clinging on, he has done nobody any favours. Yes, the manifesto had some good things in it but tell me, what is the point when it won't be enacted?