PRE-SEASON

Anorthernsoul

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he wasn't that bad was he? :lol:

Couldn't pass a ball 10 yards; caused moves to break down.  I don't understand the point of him.  I can only assume he was adept at driving the ball forward during Hull's promotion campaign, similar to how Sissoko was in brief patches.

Seems like a nice lad but he's beyond awful so far at Newcastle.

Team: Elliot (Darlow 70), Manquillo (Gamez 70), Lejeune (Lascelles 70), Clark, Dummett (Mbemba 70), Ritchie (Murphy 70), Shelvey, Hayden (Merino 70), Atsu (De Jong 70), Perez (Aarons 70), Mitrovic (Diame 46).

colback and Gayle didn't get on the pitch. Looks like de Jong might be starting the season tucked behind Gayle. Like a new signing etc

Edited by Dr Gloom

With Ritchie, Atsu, Murphy and Aarons (if he can stay fit), we're looking better stocked in wide areas than we have for a while. Plenty of pace and guile on the flanks now. 

I've been disappointed by the lack of links with a new LB, as Dummet seems destined to be first choice for the start of yet another new season, the fucking try hard.

Our obvious areas that still need strengthening are CF, 10 and CM

It's oft joked about but given we have a new manager de Jong would actually be like a new signing if he's somehow miraculously able to stay fit.

Our wide attacking options look reasonable. Last season we needed everything wide to go through Ritchie which I think burned him out.

What's interesting to me is that we don't appear to have a clearcut starting 11. This may be a very Rafa thing. Shelvey is just about the only absolute outfield certainty if fit. Oh, Dummet too ;)

16 hours ago, adios said:

He's probably been told by Rafa that he has to improve as a goal scorer.  Could see him getting more and more frustrated during preseason.

That may have been his last game in a Newcastle shirt.

It might be, but I'd be surprised. We have only Gayle and Mitrovic who're out and out strikers, it'd be stupid to sell him without at least two bodies coming in. If we signed Lucas Perez and A.N.Other I'd be fine with Mitrovic leaving, even if he's nowhere near as bad as people claim. 

Top scorer in pre-season by the by.

:MITRO: 

fwiw I couldn't log in on my mobile but got in first time on my PC.  Not sure if there's anything to that or it's just a coincidence.