World Cup 2018

Meenzer

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Fake apparently (and unfortunately).

Aye, fucking unfortunate for the poor cunt who’s Big Sam’s Doppelgänger 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Haddaway and shite man, I’m not convinced it was even a foul 

It was intentional.  Look at Ronaldo's reaction; he knew he'd got away with one.

9 minutes ago, adios said:

It was intentional.  Look at Ronaldo's reaction; he knew he'd got away with one.

Got away with what exactly? Hoying the bloke out the way who’d just obstructed him about three times? It’s not like he through an elbow full pelt at a blokes nose. If you think that’s a blatant red you want to start watching netball. He was probably worried because the ref was wank enough to send him off for that. I’m far from Ronaldo’s biggest fan but if that was a red then you’d have a lot of top level games abandoned due to not enough players being left on at the end if that consistently resulted in a sending off 

Also, if the player hadn’t gone down like a whore’s knicker purely because of VAR and the awful ref then that wouldn’t even merit discussion in terms of an incident 

He's deliberately elbowed him in the face, that's a red card offence.

What was the yellow for? It's either violent conduct or it's not a foul.  Bottled it.

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also, if the player hadn’t gone down like a whore’s knicker purely because of VAR and the awful ref then that wouldn’t even merit discussion in terms of an incident 

Aye, well the less said about the state of football now that they're exclusively signing players made of glass the better.

Just now, adios said:

He's deliberately elbowed him in the face, that's a red card offence.

What was the yellow for? It's either violent conduct or it's not a foul.  Bottled it.

I agree should’ve been a red or nothing. It should’ve been the latter. 

The ref was shit, like. I appreciate the VAR adds pressure, especially as these refs are trialling a new system at the same time as the pinnacle of their career. but every time he was told to look at something he gave it. Iran’s penalty ffs. I would have loved it if their chance had gone in at the end as well. I thought Iran were more than just a cynical side who kept it tight as they had a decent attacking threat too. When you consider what a ‘pragmatic’ side Portugal are and their experience too it’s remarkable how easily Iran wound them up. Especially when they were winning and therefore winning the group. 

Aye, Iran's penalty was a fucking joke.  Stank of 'evening things up'.

No argument about the refereeing performance outside of that either.

Just now, ewerk said:

There was definite intent from Ronaldo but he fucked up the execution so badly that you couldn’t give him a red card for it.

:lol:  That's one way of looking at it.

I thought Ronaldo flung an elbow but not full tilt. Interesting that that's a yellow though as I can't recall any similar downgrades. 

Unbelievable play acting all round again - they must start giving cards for it. 

Spain though, they've conceded some really shite goals this tournament, they don't look particularly good to me.

People have been saying "ah they've not played anyone that good" about england and that we'll get done by this first good team we play but I think you could fairly say that about pretty much any team in the tournament so far.

Looking at it from a somewhat objective viewpoint (ok I may be sore about him not taking Shelvey) England have a limited manager with no apparent plan B and a very limited set of players outside maybe two or three of them.  On the flip side, it is the first time I've seen England play as a team for a very long time and there appears to be togetherness in the camp so he's doing something right.

The likes of Spain may be underperforming early doors, but they are a team of technically gifted superstars and even while underperforming have looked amazing in patches.  It only takes one of these teams to hit form and England will get done.

I fancy it to be Brazil or Germany in the quarters if I've read the fixtures right.  I'd much rather face Brazil if I was an England fan as they're more likely to run hot/cold when the chips are down.

Oh, they also have Alli who's about as unlikable as C. Ronaldo so that doesn't help with the objectivity.

Going to double check the fixture list now. <_<