Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Scrubs season two is out today. Going to watch the rest of season one first. Still got a couple of episodes to go.

31709[/snapback]

I'll be getting that during lunch at work tomorrow to add to season one, great programme.

31805[/snapback]

Is this any good? My amte loves it and wont shut up about it, whats it about?

31808[/snapback]

Scrubs is a US sitcom set in a hospital. I really liked it for about a series and then it got very tired. By the time of the wedding it had become a soap opera and just wasn't funny anymore.

Edited by DotBum

I watched A Beautiful Mind last night on BBC.

31815[/snapback]

And what did you think?

31819[/snapback]

It was good. Great performance from Russell Crowe. I wasnt expecting what happened.

I watched A Beautiful Mind last night on BBC.

31815[/snapback]

And what did you think?

31819[/snapback]

It was good. Great performance from Russell Crowe. I wasnt expecting what happened.

31823[/snapback]

It's a while since I saw it but I seem to remember enjoying it. I can't stand Russel Crowe so it was quite suprising. I think Ron Howard films are generally quite bland though. No-one hates them, but there's nothing about them that stands out either. Perfect for Oscar.

31808[/snapback]

Scrubs is a US sitcom set in a hospital. I really liked it for about a series and then it got very tired. By the time of the wedding it had become a soap opera and just wasn't funny anymore.

31817[/snapback]

Channel 4 is up to series 3 or 4 i can't remember which and its still great and one of the best comedies out there.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

I haven't seen it in a while so I can't comment on the latest series but as a general rule comedy series' running past the second series are a bad move.

Can you honestly rate it with the likes of League of Gentlemen, Black Books, Spaced or anything by Chris Morris?

LOG survived a 3rd series impressively by completely reinventing itself and even Black Books had lost its edge by the time it finished.

I haven't seen it in a while so I can't comment on the latest series but as a general rule comedy series' running past the second series are a bad move.

Can you honestly rate it with the likes of League of Gentlemen, Black Books, Spaced or anything by Chris Morris?

LOG survived a 3rd series impressively by completely reinventing itself and even Black Books had lost its edge by the time it finished.

31832[/snapback]

British comedies running past a second series can (but certainly not always) be a risk as its often one or two writers working alone. American series have the original creators and core writers but there's a team of people putting ideas and jokes forward to sustain numerous series.

As you can guess from my username i'm a LOG fan and i can easilly rate Scrubs alongside it in as much as you can rate to vastly differing programmes only broadly linked by the term comedy.

I liked Black Books but don't think its as good as people say sometimes and Chris Morris' stuff (all of which i have) is a totally different area to sitcoms and not really comparable.

Scrubs has remained consistently funny, inventive, at times serious, always well acted and performed and different to other stuff out there, very impressive throughout. Its like Seinfeld in that its a successful US sitcom but nothing like you expect a US sitcom to be.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

31832[/snapback]

can't agree mate....

The Simpsons

Only Fools and Horses

Seinfeld

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Cheers

Steptoe and Son

Porrige

Father Ted

Blackadder

etc

etc

PL -I'm not sure about them being incomparable, when I sit down to watch comedy, be it stand up, sit com or otherwise, it should do one thing - make me laugh.

I'm not slating your opinion because it's only personal taste but maybe my problem is really with sitcoms. You say they do the serious stuff well, why bother with the serious stuff? And I guess after a while I got sick of them trying to be wacky. Had some great characters but I got bored, their zany humour started reminding me of that character who tries to be the office clown in the Fast Show.

British vs American - I hesitate to say British because of some of the shocking stuff that's come out of Northern Ireland but English comedy is consistently better than American whatever way they do it. I'm not English so I'm not biased that way but BBC comedy has an obvious advantage as they're not as concerned with figures. Scrubs has to please a mass market in the dumbest nation in the world. ITV comedy proves English mass market can mix it with the best of them when it comes to low standards though!

HF - I couldn't have watched any of that for more than 2 series'! With the exception of the Simpons of course. Blackadder reinvented itself every series. I like Curb your Enthusiasm but have seen about 3 episodes.

HF - I couldn't have watched any of that for more than 2 series'!  With the exception of the Simpons of course.  Blackadder reinvented itself every series.  I like Curb your Enthusiasm but have seen about 3 episodes.

31846[/snapback]

All those shows improved AFTER the first 2 series. That's my point.

PL -I'm not sure about them being incomparable, when I sit down to watch comedy, be it stand up, sit com or otherwise, it should do one thing - make me laugh.

I'm not slating your opinion because it's only personal taste but maybe my problem is really with sitcoms.  You say they do the serious stuff well, why bother with the serious stuff?  And I guess after a while I got sick of them trying to be wacky.  Had some great characters but I got bored, their zany humour started reminding me of that character who tries to be the office clown in the Fast Show.

British vs American - I hesitate to say British because of some of the shocking stuff that's come out of Northern Ireland but English comedy is consistently better than American whatever way they do it.  I'm not English so I'm not biased that way but BBC comedy has an obvious advantage as they're not as concerned with figures.  Scrubs has to please a mass market in the dumbest nation in the world.  ITV comedy proves English mass market can mix it with the best of them when it comes to low standards though!

HF - I couldn't have watched any of that for more than 2 series'!  With the exception of the Simpons of course.  Blackadder reinvented itself every series.  I like Curb your Enthusiasm but have seen about 3 episodes.

31846[/snapback]

I know what you mean about comedy having one job, to make you laugh, but i'm not one for comparing very different types of comedy programme as i love them for different reasons and enjoy the variety.

And again i know what you mean about why do the serious stuff, but if its done well and fits with the character and the story like i say its a bit of variety and something different to watch. Of course if its done badly then serious/sad moments in a sitcome can be horribly cringeworthy or make you sick!

I love both British and American comedies, theres a masive range between the two, especially when you include the animated comedies and i get so much enjoyment out of this range of comedy. I find being neither a comedy snob or being deliberately narrowminded helps so that i won't slate things because the happen to be big and successful and mainstream as long as they're funny and i won't avoid things that are out there, different and a bit edgy as long as they too are funny.

As you say its personal taste ulitmately, and i'm lucky in that there is a massive load of comedy out there from here and the US that i absolutely love and so my room is filled with a gigantic comedy collection of DVD's, videos and stuff taped of the TV.

31846[/snapback]

All those shows improved AFTER the first 2 series. That's my point.

31849[/snapback]

Simpsons is one of the alltime examples of that, the first series if you go back and watch it isn't in the same league as the later stuff. It definitely got better and better for along while, then reached an amazing level and stayed their for ages. Now it sounds like its declined alot but i dn't have sky so am a way behind other people.

Still want to see the episode written by and featuring the voice of Ricky Gervais though.

I don't reckon you have to be a snob and/or narrow minded not to agree with your comedy tastes!

31859[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

I wasn't implying that at all!

I meant its a big advantage being neither a snob or narrow minded as you have shitloads of comedy out there you love and can enjoy!

If anybody watches enough of a programme to give it a fair go and doesn't find it funny thats their opinion and its valid.

I reckon Scrubs is great! I find it consistently funny - the characters are great... well, Dr Cox and the Janitor especially.

But I like that it gets a serious/sentimental edge. I mean, yeh, we watch comedy to laugh.... but I like it when it suddenly breaks out of the jokes for a second to provide a moment of clarity on something. It's based in a hospital, people are very sick and die in hospitals (woah, newsflash! i didn't mean that to come across in such a 'you are dim and therefore won't know that way' at all!).. but therefore, I reckon the show needs to take that into consideration.

And I like that it's different and experiments with stuff..... like the Janitor being a figment of JD's imagination for the first series.... or the epsiode where Dr Cox's best friend dies but you don't realise.... or how it plays around with it's own fundamental characteristics by switching whose narrative we get in an episode.

But, yeh, mainly I love it because Dr Cox and the Janitor are FUNNY. :icon_lol:

Filmwise.. watched a bit of The Joy Luck Club today.... it's the stories of lots of different Chinese women, both old and young..... we just watched the bit where one of the ladies wanted to hurt her husband (who was cheating on her.... in their flat, while she was there...) and so she killed their baby, because it was the only way she could get back at him. Ouch.

I reckon Scrubs is great!  I find it consistently funny - the characters are great... well, Dr Cox and the Janitor especially.

But I like that it gets a serious/sentimental edge.  I mean, yeh, we watch comedy to laugh.... but I like it when it suddenly breaks out of the jokes for a second to provide a moment of clarity on something.  It's based in a hospital, people are very sick and die in hospitals (woah, newsflash! i didn't mean that to come across in such a 'you are dim and therefore won't know that way' at all!).. but therefore, I reckon the show needs to take that into consideration.

And I like that it's different and experiments with stuff..... like the Janitor being a figment of JD's imagination for the first series.... or the epsiode where Dr Cox's best friend dies but you don't realise.... or how it plays around with it's own fundamental characteristics by switching whose narrative we get in an episode.

But, yeh, mainly I love it because Dr Cox and the Janitor are FUNNY. :icon_lol:

Filmwise.. watched a bit of The Joy Luck Club today.... it's the stories of lots of different Chinese women, both old and young..... we just watched the bit where one of the ladies wanted to hurt her husband (who was cheating on her.... in their flat, while she was there...) and so she killed their baby, because it was the only way she could get back at him.  Ouch.

31883[/snapback]

:icon_lol::angry::angry:

Went to see Green Street last night.

Bit far fetched at times but the fight scenes were quite entertaining. Not as good as Football Factory but still a good watch.

31893[/snapback]

That means Green Street must be fucking terrible then.

Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children.

The film looks good, has all of the original characters in etc, but doesn't really have much of a plot. I thought I would have liked it seen as I loved FFVII but the only good thung about it was seeing all of the characters in the film.