Souness's first comments...

Craig

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has been sacked, with Glenn Roeder installed as caretaker manager and Alan Shearer given the role of his assistant.

The Magpies have won only one point in six Premiership matches and are just six points above the relegation zone.

Souness, 52, took charge of Newcastle in September 2004 after Sir Bobby Robson was sacked.

Souness expressed his disappointment at being forced out. "I'm saddened at the way things have worked out," he said.

"I have enjoyed living and working in Newcastle, and my family and I have been made to feel particularly welcome by the Geordies.

"I wish the club, the players and the supporters good fortune and success going forward," added the Scot who left St James' Park at 1420 GMT after spending the morning at the club.

Meanwhile, assistant boss Dean Saunders has been suspended on full pay ahead of a meeting with the club to iron out a settlement.

Souness' 16-month tenure at the Magpies helm was a rollercoaster ride.

With only 36 victories in his 83 matches, the pressure was almost always on him - and the 3-0 defeat by Manchester City on Wednesday proved the final straw.

Magpies fans protested at the match by displaying a 'Souness Out' banner during their side's woeful display at Eastlands.

Yet despite not having the backing of the fans and with his side languishing in 15th place in the Premiership, Souness vowed to stay on.

He insisted: "I am not a quitter and will not quit."

For much of his reign, Souness was hampered by injuries to key personnel - but he also spent over £47m on players.

The biggest arrival was that of England striker Michael Owen for £17m last summer, but he soon became another player on the club's treatment table.

It will now - at least in the immediate future - be up to Roeder, promoted from his position as Academy coach, to try and revive the struggling Tyneside giants.

He will be helped by Magpies' skipper Shearer, who is playing his last season before retiring.

Former England striker Shearer has made no secret of his desire to one day take over as Newcastle boss.

Also in the frame is Bolton manager Sam Allardyce, who turned down the job before it was offered to Souness but has continued to be linked with the post.

A spokesman for Bolton said: "We've got no comment to make. Sam has got a job to do here and is under contract."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/4673636.stm

36 victories in his 83 matches

That's more than I thought.

88120[/snapback]

I was surpised, then i remembered you have to factor in the intertotot, abysmal uefa cup teams and poor some weak fa cup opponents as well.

88127[/snapback]

Not to mention the 50 million sponds.......

His league record is pretty dreaful iirc.

88136[/snapback]

League wise it aint smart. If you take away the first nine games unbeaten run (sheer momentum created by the enthusiasm of a new broom?) and also consider the fact we were in the semi and quarters of two cups last season it must actually be dogshit.

Gullit and Dalgleish were much worse mind. Gullit much, MUCH worse.

All competitions P 83 W 36 D 18 L 29 F 107 A 99

Premiership P 56 W 16 D 17 L 23 F 58 A 76 Pts 65

FA Cup P 7 W 6 D 0 L 1 F 11 A 5

Carling Cup P 4 W 2 D 0 L 2 F 3 A 4

Europe P 16 W 12 D 1 L 3 F 35 A 14

88146[/snapback]

Jesus wept on a bike!

88146[/snapback]

Could have gotten us into Europe if he'd just been given a head-start.

88136[/snapback]

League wise it aint smart. If you take away the first nine games unbeaten run (sheer momentum created by the enthusiasm of a new broom?) and also consider the fact we were in the semi and quarters of two cups last season it must actually be dogshit.

88145[/snapback]

How much worse were they when you compare league games (which is the only fair way of doing it). Bearing in mind Souness finished in our lowest ever PL position last year and was doing worse this year? How can they have been worse, especially Dalglish who got us to 2nd, 13th, and was then sacked almost straight away?

88136[/snapback]

88145[/snapback]

How much worse were they when you compare league games (which is the only fair way of doing it). Bearing in mind Souness finished in our lowest ever PL position last year and was doing worse this year? How can they have been worse, especially Dalglish who got us to 2nd, 13th, and was then sacked almost straight away?

88155[/snapback]

No idea......just saw something on SSN briefly. Gullitt was right at the bottom of the stats generally like.....but it didnt make a distinction between league and cup...

88146[/snapback]

Could have gotten us into Europe if he'd just been given a head-start.

88150[/snapback]

100 points?