Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

Worth bearing in mind the death rate for this amongst the working age population is very, very small.

2,494 from 40 million = 0.00006 %

That tiny risk needs weighing up against the missed cancer diagnosis, the rising unemployment, the companies going bust.

The chance of dying in a car crash is 0.00005%

Edited by Christmas Tree

8 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Worth bearing in mind the death rate for this amongst the working age population is very, very small.

That tiny risk needs weighing up against the missed cancer diagnosis, the rising unemployment, the companies going bust.

Can you explain to me how minimising the number of people with coronavirus causes cancer diagnoses to be missed? 

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Assuming your raw data is correct,  and I'm pretty sure it isn't, your percentage is out by a factor of 100. It's 0.0062%. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Can you explain to me how minimising the number of people with coronavirus causes cancer diagnoses to be missed? 

I guess he means because people who have symptoms of cancer have been deterred from seeking medical consultation. It is a fair point, the government should be sending the message out the NHS is still open much more clearly. 

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Because the whole country is paralysed with fear so much so that many people who are factually are more likely to die in a car crash than from corona are too scared to leave their home, visit the doctors.

Protect those who are at risk, give the NHS everything it needs and get the rest of the country back to some sort of normality.

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Assuming your raw data is correct,  and I'm pretty sure it isn't, your percentage is out by a factor of 100. It's 0.0062%. 

ONS data published this morning. (Taxi drivers and Chefs most at risk :lol:  )

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm curious as to whether or not CT is going to come back with an altered position based on this.

EDIT - I guess not.

Edited by Rayvin

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Because the whole country is paralysed with fear so much so that many people who are factually are more likely to die in a car crash than from corona are too scared to leave their home, visit the doctors.

Protect those who are at risk, give the NHS everything it needs and get the rest of the country back to some sort of normality.

You're spreading actual lies. The mortality data for this month is by far the highest on record, ever. This virus kills and debilitates adults of all ages.  Your approach would kill hundreds of thousands and destroy the NHS. Why the fuck am I surprised. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'm curious as to whether or not CT is going to come back with an altered position based on this.

EDIT - I guess not.

NEVER change your opinions based on new facts coming to light. It's the Brexit way.

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

I guess he means because people who have symptoms of cancer have been deterred from seeking medical consultation. It is a fair point, the government should be sending the message out the NHS is still open much more clearly. 

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

But you don't have to send people back to work prematurely and without the correct safety guidelines in order to achieve this. You do so by specifically addressing the messaging around the importance of continuing to go to hospital if you're unwell. 

The two are mutually exclusive if you manage them properly. You've decided that you can't have one without the other and, as usual, you're wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

ONS data published this morning. (Taxi drivers and Chefs most at risk :lol:  )

Link? I guess you did the percentage calculation yourself? Otherwise I have grave concerns about the ONS. 

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think your maths is wrong

I have a spreadsheet in front of me 

2494/40,000,000 is 0.0062%

Reminds me of the episode of  the Office when Gareth called the manufacturer of his calculator because it was giving the wrong answers.

His maths is right. And you don't know how to calculate percentages. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

You're spreading actual lies. The mortality data for this month is by far the highest on record, ever. This virus kills and debilitates adults of all ages.  Your approach would kill hundreds of thousands and destroy the NHS. Why the fuck am I surprised. :rolleyes:

FFB10E94-7B15-4B89-8626-CDD28BB6D41B.jpeg

:lol: You can 'think' that all you like but it isn't.

If you have eight slices of duck pizza and you eat four of them then what percentage do you have left? Here's a clue, it isn't 0.5%

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

But you don't have to send people back to work prematurely and without the correct safety guidelines in order to achieve this. You do so by specifically addressing the messaging around the importance of continuing to go to hospital if you're unwell. 

The two are mutually exclusive if you manage them properly. You've decided that you can't have one without the other and, as usual, you're wrong. 

The point I’ve tried to make is that the chances of this killing anyone aged 16-64 are tiny where as the damage the lockdown is doing to health, jobs etc are very real.

You are not going to stop driving because of a small risk you might crash and die.

Throw everything at protecting those in danger and everyone else get back to life.

Other than a vaccine, THIS is the only way out.

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

i think that is more or less the thing that has changed. despite the muddled messaging, nothing has really changed has it? we're still in lockdown, but sick people are being encouraged to go to hospital because the NHS hasn't been overwhelmed - the one positive out of all of this is we have capacity, for now. whether that stays the case when people sick with other things return to hospital remains to be seen