Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

6 hours ago, trooper said:

1st June 3,304 new infections. Todays figure is 6,238 its almost doubled in 3 days. This is starting to look worrying 

Have you had both vaccines, troops? I don’t think you should be worried in the way we all were at the start of the year. At least, not yet.

A rise in cases is a concern but also inevitable as we unlock. But as long as it’s spreading among the young and the vaccine continues to protect the elderly/vulnerable it shouldn’t lead to a spike in hospitalisations.

We might even achieve herd immunity this year if we continue to rollout the vaccine at this rate. 

This optimism is bound to come back and bite me on the arse, isn’t it :lol:

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Have you had both vaccines, troops? I don’t think you should be worried in the way we all were at the start of the year. At least, not yet.

A rise in cases is a concern but also inevitable as we unlock. But as long as it’s spreading among the young and the vaccine continues to protect the elderly/vulnerable it shouldn’t lead to a spike in hospitalisations.

We might even achieve herd immunity this year if we continue to rollout the vaccine. 

This optimism is bound to come back and bite me on the arse, isn’t it :lol:

Second dose been brought forward to June 13th from July 1st. I'd put it off a couple of times but finally decided I better have it

2 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Great keep the immunity up by letting it spread around the low-risks. Long covid is a myth

Great news, I’ll tell me mate whose son was a very promising cross country runner but got fucked by long COVID that it’s just a myth and he’s fine really’ he’ll be thrilled.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Great keep the immunity up by letting it spread around the low-risks. Long covid is a myth

On the day its been announced there are a million people living with long covid. Why the wummery recently,  why do you want to be a pointless irritant?  Cos you've been a decent, funny poster not long ago. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 3

I think troopers assessment is OTT. But there is the potential for covid incidence to get back to January levels, in fact as things stand it's inevitable. What are the consequences of this for society, the NHS? It's not influenza, the consequences of this disease are much worse, even in a vaccinated population. Just feels like there is no end to this nightmare. I'm often accused of being a pessimist, but actually this is beyond anything I imagined possible now. 

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

On the day its been announced there are a million people living with long covid. Why the wummery recently,  why do you want to be a pointless irritant?  Cos you've been a decent, funny poster not long ago. 

I must have logged off that day 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think troopers assessment is OTT. But there is the potential for covid incidence to get back to January levels, in fact as things stand it's inevitable. What are the consequences of this for society, the NHS? It's not influenza, the consequences of this disease are much worse, even in a vaccinated population. Just feels like there is no end to this nightmare. I'm often accused of being a pessimist, but actually this is beyond anything I imagined possible now. 

Wait, what?

In January we had over 50k new cases and 10k deaths a day at the peak. You think we’re going to see those numbers again even as we move towards a fully-vaccinated population?

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Great news, I’ll tell me mate whose son was a very promising cross country runner but got fucked by long COVID that it’s just a myth and he’s fine really’ he’ll be thrilled.

Give him a couple of shots of man-up juice and he'll be back on rough terrain in no time!

1 minute ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Give him a couple of shots of man-up juice and he'll be back on rough terrain in no time!

Kids got low t levels by the sounds of it 

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Wait, what?

In January we had over 50k new cases and 10k deaths a day at the peak. You think we’re going to see those numbers again even as we move towards a fully-vaccinated population?

I don't think we ever had 10k deaths a day

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think being in the twitter sin bin is contributing 

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Wait, what?

It's exponential growth Gloom. It will keep increasing every day the R is over 1, which it is. It won't stop, it will keep on rising constantly. Of course Hospitalisations and deaths won't reach those levels, unless vaccine escape happens. But let's imagine it's 5% of the peak, which is still 50 people dying every fucking day of this, and its massively contagious of course, unlike other causes of death. What does the NHS do then, accept It? What precautions against spread in a hospital can they do? Let's face it, life just can't get back to normal. 

The two big problems we have is high prevalence means worse mutations are pretty much guaranteed. I never factored this in originally, but it appears coronavirus is an utter cunt. Delta is possibly twice as transmissible as alpha, which was possibly twice as transmissible as the original strain. That is frightening. Then there is the made up man up long covid. 

We need to get everyone vaccinated ASAP and close the borders indefinitely until most the world is vaccinated. When if ever will that happen? 

Come on Renton, I'm sure this spike infections was priced in to easing restrictions. 

What I don't understand though is how we're not already herd immune? Vaccines + previous infections is surely well over 60% of population by now

5 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Come on Renton, I'm sure this spike infections was priced in to easing restrictions. 

What I don't understand though is how we're not already herd immune? Vaccines + previous infections is surely well over 60% of population by now

Antibodies from previous infections don’t last long, most people have only had one dose, a sizeable amount haven’t had a dose yet. Lots of the latter category (the majority in fact) won’t have any antibodies at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Antibodies from previous infections don’t last long, most people have only had one dose, a sizeable amount haven’t had a dose yet. Lots of the latter category (the majority in fact) won’t have any antibodies at all. 

Also as I said before the latest variants are much more transmissible than the original, maybe 3 times as much. The more infectious this is, the higher the bar for herd immunity. Measles is probably the most infectious disease, you need to get 95% of the population vaccinated or have had it to achieve herd immunity.  But measles is a stable virus, it will never escape the vaccine. Not so with coronavirus. 

• Like 1

The fucking bint next door told me the other day her daughter was supposed to be isolating but said bint “can’t live her life like this anymore”. I.e. the weather’s nice, so it’s a bit inconvenient as it’s half-term. She had a garden full of kids the other day too. Did I mention she’s a bint?