Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

1 hour ago, trooper said:

UK reports over 6,000 more COVID cases and another 13 deaths today. The numbers are creeping up

there was one death yesterday

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

there was one death yesterday

Tuesday's usually the highest of the week as ones that weren't counted at the weekend are included. 

13 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

will the vaccine not put the brakes on the rate of growth though? a new vaccine-proof variant is clearly the main concern here, but assuming we don't see a mutation develop before we finish the vaccine rollout, isn't there reason to be cautiously optimistic? just the one death yesterday.  

image.png.b3c333feb8b662447c8d65a1bb919f20.png

It's complicated. We're definitely in a third wave, but deaths should be much lower this time. Decent thread here.

15 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Unlucky fucker, eh? 

I dunno, I mean they get to miss out on *gestures at everything going on*

9 hours ago, Renton said:

It's complicated. We're definitely in a third wave, but deaths should be much lower this time. Decent thread here.

he's brilliant, the best in the business at using data to explain what is happening. 

the july 21 reopening has to be in jeopardy but it would be a disaster if we end up having to tighten measures again. 

If it takes 3 weeks for the vaccine to be effective, I'm not really sure how big of an impact a 2 or even 4 week delay is gonna have. 

Having said that, I think I'd be pretty pissed off to be in the younger group that they're only just getting round to giving first doses to as the world is about to reopen. 

The parents of one of the kids at my little uns’ school thought it was ok to send their kid in with a cough even though the dad had been isolating after testing positive. With hilarious consequences 

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

The parents of one of the kids at my little uns’ school thought it was ok to send their kid in with a cough even though the dad had been isolating after testing positive. With hilarious consequences 

Happened to a colleague of my wife. Kid in child care with a few other kids. One kid with a dad who had symptoms.

Result: all other families caught the virus with further transmitting it to grandparents and others. The colleague who is still struggling with the effects a couple of months afterwards.

• Sad 1

My lass teaches part time now and shares a class with another teacher. They've just had a bunch of kids in the class sent home and the other teacher of the class has tested positive. 

I'm getting my second dose tonight before she brings it home. 

Fairly gutted with this latest set back as I was hoping to get into the office. Six weeks into a new job and I have not met anyone. I know a lad who is a year into his job and only met one colleague.

Some interesting things about the delta variant which the cunt Johnson welcomed in. Firstly, the symptoms it causes initially are completely different to the alpha variant,with the main ones being headache, running nose, and sore throat, exactly the same as the common cold (handy). Most people don't get chest symptoms or cough, and hardly anyone loses their sense of taste or smell. So the criteria to get tested now is completely out of date. Secondly, if you contract it you have at least twice the chance of ending up in hospital as with the alpha, but you will probably recover more quickly. And of course, it is much more contagious. As it is we are looking at more than 1000 hospitalisations per day in a few weeks, had we unlocked completely to plan it would have been nearer 5000, surpassing the other peaks. 

I just hope this bastard doesn't mutate and escape the vaccine, this Doomsday scenario actually seems quite plausible to me given the prevalence and mutation rate. On the other hand, I am confident the second generation of vaccinations can also incorporate other areas of the virus than the spike protein, areas that don't mutate. Hopefully these will stop it in its tracks. 

The symptoms of a common cold are exactly what my lass has had in the last few days when it's all been kicking off at her school. :lol:

We've got lateral flow tests at home, which she's done and it came back negative. Might get her to do another one later. 

Obviously I've shown none of these symptoms which once again underlines the fact that I'm basically one of the X Men. 

33 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fairly gutted with this latest set back as I was hoping to get into the office. Six weeks into a new job and I have not met anyone. I know a lad who is a year into his job and only met one colleague.

Some interesting things about the delta variant which the cunt Johnson welcomed in. Firstly, the symptoms it causes initially are completely different to the alpha variant,with the main ones being headache, running nose, and sore throat, exactly the same as the common cold (handy). Most people don't get chest symptoms or cough, and hardly anyone loses their sense of taste or smell. So the criteria to get tested now is completely out of date. Secondly, if you contract it you have at least twice the chance of ending up in hospital as with the alpha, but you will probably recover more quickly. And of course, it is much more contagious. As it is we are looking at more than 1000 hospitalisations per day in a few weeks, had we unlocked completely to plan it would have been nearer 5000, surpassing the other peaks. 

I just hope this bastard doesn't mutate and escape the vaccine, this Doomsday scenario actually seems quite plausible to me given the prevalence and mutation rate. On the other hand, I am confident the second generation of vaccinations can also incorporate other areas of the virus than the spike protein, areas that don't mutate. Hopefully these will stop it in its tracks. 

I've been working for Scottish ENterprise for a year and I have met none of my colleagues, I don't expect to for at least 6 months either.

Just now, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

My contract is only up until March so I might have moved on anyway.

:lol: Canny impressive to have done a job for over a year without meeting anyone.