Hitzfeld for Newcastle

Emre

Oh I agree, we have to try....

In the same respect though that we 'tried' to sign Rooney. The one think that would worry me about Hitzfeld (and I'm not the only one to voice this) is that Sir Alex will be retiring pretty soon and I'm sure the Man Utd job would be a strong appeal to him...

90706[/snapback]

Well, that's the same what NJS said a couple of times. IMHO the reasons of getting Hitzfeld are much better when we tried to sign Rooney, because of the lack of competition. That's unless by moving for Hitzfeld we force Ferguson to rethink his retirement plans or Arsenal parting company with Wenger etc.

But as I said to NJS a couple of times, not moving for a top class manager because is an absolutely absurd idea. Basically would always have to settle for second best because of fear that a manager or player could get attracted by a 'bigger' club. And Hitzfeld has no track record of breaking contracts or sticking to his word. Far from it.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the same respect though that we 'tried' to sign Rooney. The one think that would worry me about Hitzfeld (and I'm not the only one to voice this) is that Sir Alex will be retiring pretty soon and I'm sure the Man Utd job would be a strong appeal to him...

90706[/snapback]

Well, that's the same what NJS said a couple of times. IMHO the reasons of getting Hitzfeld are much better when we tried to sign Rooney, because of the lack of competition. That's unless by moving for Hitzfeld we force Ferguson to rethink his retirement plans or Arsenal parting company with Wenger etc.

But as I said to NJS a couple of times, not moving for a top class manager because is an absolutely absurd idea. Basically would always have to settle for second best because of fear that a manager or player could get attracted by a 'bigger' club. And Hitzfeld has no track record of breaking contracts or sticking to his word. Far from it.

90717[/snapback]

What do you thinkis the likelihood he would come Isegrim, assuming Shepherd contacted him of course, and the finances were favourable?

90706[/snapback]

90717[/snapback]

What do you thinkis the likelihood he would come Isegrim, assuming Shepherd contacted him of course, and the finances were favourable?

90718[/snapback]

Let's say it wouldn't be forlorn hope, but as I said it basically depends on his range of attractive options. Newcastle would be very similar to his task with Dortmund, only that he already has better players to his disposal. And he wants to manage abroad and especially in England. We'll just have to wait and see what comes out of it.

Fingers crossed then. For some reason I am more optimistic than last time that Shepherd will get the appointment right this time. That's probably misfounded though.

90726[/snapback]

I think there's a fair chance he'll get it more right than he did last time :lol:

You realise that asking Isegrim whether Hitzfeld would come because they're both German, makes about as much sense as asking me whether Allardyce would come. :lol:

90728[/snapback]

Isegrim's quite knowledgeable, so that's one difference straight away :razz:

You realise that asking Isegrim whether Hitzfeld would come because they're both German, makes about as much sense as asking me whether Allardyce would come. :lol:

90728[/snapback]

Too bad that in the past I stated that I prefer Hiddink... :razz:

Fair play to them for trying something, he's someone I think most fans would take. You can't please 100% of fans 100% of the time. If we don't approach Hitzfeld and get someone else in, say O'Neil, I hope the N-O lot give him full backing. They've really got into the campaign to bring him here, and I just hope they don't have an agenda agaisnt whoever does get the job on the basis that they're not Hitzfeld.

90728[/snapback]

90730[/snapback]

You've been blinded by the fact he has "Dr." before his name. :razz:

90728[/snapback]

90730[/snapback]

:razz:

Very true.

I think we've got a real chance. We're obvioulsy the best English job available or likely to be availabe for next season. Hats off to the NO lads, they're certainly getting the message across though if I was Ottmar and I read that thread I'd be thinking who's this jumped up little.. who thinks he knows me. The worrying thing for me is that as he's not mentioned much in the British media not many people really know who he is. I caught a bit of the 3 legends last night to hear Macdonald saying he'd looked at Hitzfelds CV and it was really impressive. Ermm shouldnt he already know of his achievemnets? He's one of the highest regarded managers in the world and it took a call one of the NO lads for a so called football expert/insider to find out what Hitzfeld has achieved. You cant compare O'Neills record to Hitzfelds but in most peoples eyes he's still the first choice, purely because of media exposure.

Hey, Dotbum, as an Irishman, can you tell me what chance we have of getting O'Neill?  I realise he's from the North, but you're in a better position than most of us to comment.

:lol:

90737[/snapback]

I can only advise you on the best form of weaponry to deploy against him tbh. :razz:

I think we've got a real chance.  We're obvioulsy the best English job available or likely to be availabe for next season. Hats off to the NO lads, they're certainly getting the message across though if I was Ottmar and I read that thread I'd be thinking who's this jumped up little.. who thinks he knows me. The worrying thing for me is that as he's not mentioned much in the British media not many people really know who he is. I caught a bit of the 3 legends last night to hear Macdonald saying he'd looked at Hitzfelds CV and it was really impressive. Ermm shouldnt he already know of his achievemnets? He's one of the highest regarded managers in the world and it took a call one of the NO lads for a so called football expert/insider to find out what Hitzfeld has achieved. You cant compare O'Neills record to Hitzfelds but in most peoples eyes he's still the first choice, purely because of media exposure.

90736[/snapback]

I still think O'Neill is a more realistic proposition tbh. Mind, I'd be delighted with either.

Fair play to the N-O lads, but as you say, if I was Hitzfeld I'd feel very uncomfortable by their campaign. At the end of the day, fans don't appoint managers and they certainly can't force people to join the club. I think he might be bemused and offput by the attention tbh.

Personally, I'd love it if we got Ottmar. Would he really want to come tho? with his record he could go to just about any club he wants to.

90626[/snapback]

Precisely why there is little chance of him coming here...

90654[/snapback]

Oh, I thinkt the chances are not as bad as some people make out. It all depends on which jobs are available at the time he makes the decision. At the moment there are only few, like the Real Madrid one or the English one. By finally sacking Souness Newcastle put them at the front of the queue.

90714[/snapback]

Actually, screw Newcastle, I would love to see the FA try and appoint a German to the England role. :lol:

Personally, I'd love it if we got Ottmar. Would he really want to come tho? with his record he could go to just about any club he wants to.

90626[/snapback]

:yes

Precisely why there is little chance of him coming here...

90654[/snapback]

Oh, I thinkt the chances are not as bad as some people make out. It all depends on which jobs are available at the time he makes the decision. At the moment there are only few, like the Real Madrid one or the English one. By finally sacking Souness Newcastle put them at the front of the queue.

90714[/snapback]

Actually, screw Newcastle, I would love to see the FA try and appoint a German to the England role. :lol:

90742[/snapback]

We were discussing this at Monday night after playing football. Though, the Irish lads and I think that Souness would be a better choice, because with Hitzfeld there would still be the chance that he was winning the fans and media over with success.

Maybe I should set up the website www.sounessforingerland.com. :razz:

90706[/snapback]

90717[/snapback]

Totally agree hence that I said we do have to try for him - I think what pissed people off last time was that we simply didn't appear to bother.

I'm just concerned (not really the right word) that many people are absolutely convinced that if we approach him, he'll rip our hands off...

Just read some of N-O threads and it just makes me worry that it's now all set up for us to appoint him and for him to fall flat on his arse!

90782[/snapback]

Rentonesque pessimism tbh let's appoint him or whoever first eh? :lol:

Just read some of N-O threads and it just makes me worry that it's now all set up for us to appoint him and for him to fall flat on his arse!

90782[/snapback]

90784[/snapback]

Oy Alex, my pessimism was well founded!

I'm perfectly willing to wait and see who we appoint before I predict he's going to be a failure. :razz:

90782[/snapback]

90784[/snapback]

Oy Alex, my pessimism was well founded!

I'm perfectly willing to wait and see who we appoint before I predict he's going to be a failure. :razz:

90790[/snapback]

Unless it's Sven, obviously :razz: