World Cup 2022

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I wish Wilson had of just went for it. The game is well over by then, just belt it. People saying well he maybe just wants ingratiate himself with Southgate, but if I was a manager I'd want my striker to be a bit more greedy given the context of the game at that point. Obviously I couldn't care less what England do at the world cup, but I still want to see Tripps and Wilson do well, and Pope of course in the unlikely event he gets a chance.Ā 

He played the percentages, laid it on a plate and the team scored. Canā€™t understand anyone who doesnā€™t think that was the correct thing in the circumstances

Edited by Alex
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I wish Wilson had of just went for it. The game is well over by then, just belt it. People saying well he maybe just wants ingratiate himself with Southgate, but if I was a manager I'd want my striker to be a bit more greedy given the context of the game at that point. Obviously I couldn't care less what England do at the world cup, but I still want to see Tripps and Wilson do well, and Pope of course in the unlikely event he gets a chance.Ā 

He contributed to a goal.Ā  What more can we ask for?Ā  He takes a shot at a tight angle and misses?Ā  His run was great, yeh would be great to see him score but to mark him down for not having a go is a bit harsh.

Just now, Alex said:

He played the percentages, laid it on a plate and the team scored. Canā€™t understand anyone who doesnā€™t think that was the correct thing in the circumstances

it was the right thing to do in that sense. But if thatā€™s me playing for England in a World Cup and weā€™re cruising at 5-1 up in the closing minutes, Iā€™m taking the shot.Ā 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

England 6-2 Iranā€¦.. Clive Tyldsley: ā€œitā€™s a Competitive groupā€Ā :glare:

You saying the Fifa rankings arenā€™t a proper indicator of how good the teams are? ;)Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

it was the right thing to do in that sense. But if thatā€™s me playing for England in a World Cup and weā€™re cruising at 5-1 up in the closing minutes, Iā€™m taking the shot.Ā 

Aye but this is professional football not make believe ;)Ā 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Ā 

You're 5-1 up and it's probably going to be your one and only World cup, of course you go for it. Even Lineker and Shearer were baffled given both their mentalities when it came to scoring goals. If you're playing better opposition later in the tournament, and it's a tight game, then yes I can see the case for playing the percentages.Ā Ā 

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

He contributed to a goal.Ā  What more can we ask for?Ā  He takes a shot at a tight angle and misses?Ā  His run was great, yeh would be great to see him score but to mark him down for not having a go is a bit harsh.

Ā 

I'm not having a go at him, I wanted him to score so he could have enjoyed that moment.Ā 

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Ā 

You're 5-1 up and it's probably going to be your one and only World cup, of course you go for it. Even Lineker and Shearer were baffled given both their mentalities when it came to scoring goals. If you're playing better opposition later in the tournament, and it's a tight game, then yes I can see the case for playing the percentages.Ā Ā 

Loop Trump GIF

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye but this is professional football not make believe ;)Ā 

Ā 

it was incredibly selfless of Wilson. He was perfectly entitled to have a shot from that position and I imagine a lot of strikers coming off the bench in their first world cup with the game won would have gone for goal. The fact that he set up an easy tap in for a teammate says everything - heā€™s a class act. Iā€™m notĀ 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā The gifs are out so you win the argument obviouslyĀ šŸ˜‚

Posted as a joke. Youā€™re arguing making a decision which directly resulted in a goal was an incorrect one. I take your point but the end result of the move literallyĀ  demonstrated it was the right one. Argue against that by all means. Hopefully Craig will come along and agree with me and youā€™ll be here all nightĀ 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ā 

it was incredibly selfless of Wilson. He was perfectly entitled to have a shot from that position and I imagine a lot of strikers coming off the bench in their first world cup with the game won would have gone for goal. The fact that he set up an easy tap in for a teammate says everything - heā€™s a class act. Iā€™m notĀ 

And in your fantasy you still end up blazing it wide.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ā 

Agee with all that šŸ‘šŸ» Especially the last bitĀ 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Posted as a joke. Youā€™re arguing making a decision which directly resulted in a goal was an incorrect one. I take your point but the end result of the move literallyĀ  demonstrated it was the right one. Argue against that by all means. Hopefully Craig will come along and agree with me and youā€™ll be here all nightĀ 

Ā 

And if Wilson doesn't score a goal for the rest of the tournament and never plays for England in a major tournament again, will it still be the right decision to pass to Grealish when they were 5-1 up near the end of the game. And my response in the last comment was meant as a joke as wellĀ šŸ‘

England looked decent Wales look shit so far. As for Iran being no.20 in the ranking system there must be some shit teams in the world. Fancy Wilson passing to Grealish for him to score! Oh sorry I forgot it is a team game. I wonder if he knew it was Miggieā€™s mate.šŸ˜‚

1 minute ago, Surreymag said:

England looked decent Wales look shit so far. As for Iran being no.20 in the ranking system there must be some shit teams in the world. Fancy Wilson passing to Grealish for him to score! Oh sorry I forgot it is a team game. I wonder if he knew it was Miggieā€™s mate.šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Iranians could be excused for being out of sorts given there's a civil war ongoing in their country where innocent civilians are being shot in the streets.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Surreymag said:

Yeah but what ifā€¦

4 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It's great to see Saka and Rashford score and put in decent performances too after the horrific shit that they had to deal with after the finalĀ 

Lawrence Fox will be seethingĀ 

• Like 2