2024/25 - Generic NUFC Chat. Cunts ☑️

wykikitoon

ON THIS DAY 1969: Ujpest Dozsa 2 - 3 (2-6) Newcastle United - Toon Army win the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup

Which poster is old enough to see this match live ?

• Like 4

I've never seen that before. I've got a vague memory of the family huddled round the wireless in front of the coal fire listening, but not totally sure if I've  made it up or not

I definitely remember my father coming into my room( in retrospect obviously pissed) after the first leg and giving me the program and a blow by blow of the game. Much to my mother's annoyance as she had to get me up for school the next morning

• Like 2

I was born roughly 18 years after this - just in case some of you weren't feeling old enough.

• Haha 1

They were a good side by all accounts, not quite the crack players Hungary produced a decade earlier but still good enough to beat some top outfits including Don Revie's Leeds United side. (He didn't give us a chance). I was still four years away from gracing the planet with my existence when we won our last trophy,  🎵....and here's to Bobby Moncur, the fairs cup in his hand....🎶 :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wardi said:

Yes I still have this on VHS video tape.  I was 11 years old.

This explains A LOT about your contributions to the jokes thread. 

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I was born roughly 18 years after this - just in case some of you weren't feeling old enough.

:finger:

I went to a fairs cup thing a few years ago after a mate had a spare, was good crack actually, there was Frank (knew everyone's father) Clark, David Craig, (just turned 80) and John Gibson who was on form with his never ending glasses of wine, there was also a brief guest appearance from an even earlier player and character, Ron (Cassius) McGarry who was getting on a bit but still a bit of a joker. McGarry used to have a bookies round the corner from us in the 80's and would be standing outside asking passers by who'd obviously been to the match if it was a good game? He once asked my dad what the match was like after seeing me with a NUFC cap on or something walk past his shop so my dad gave him his opinion on the game. After we walked past my dad said he used to be Newcastle's striker but I just thought he was an old gadgie so wasn't sure whether to believe him! :D

• Haha 3

Just too early for me - first game I can remember being aware of and watching on TV was the 1970 FA cup final between Leeds and Chelsea. 

I don't remember watching the 1970 world cup which was after that though I have a feeling they didnt time the games for Europe then so they would have been on too late. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I've never seen that before. I've got a vague memory of the family huddled round the wireless in front of the coal fire listening, but not totally sure if I've  made it up or not

I definitely remember my father coming into my room( in retrospect obviously pissed) after the first leg and giving me the program and a blow by blow of the game. Much to my mother's annoyance as she had to get me up for school the next morning

My uncle has a dvd. But it was one my cousin did from footage on vhs I think as a birthday present for his dad. I’ve watched it before but I think it was just highlights of both legs 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

:finger:

I went to a fairs cup thing a few years ago after a mate had a spare, was good crack actually, there was Frank (knew everyone's father) Clark, David Craig, (just turned 80) and John Gibson who was on form with his never ending glasses of wine, there was also a brief guest appearance from an even earlier player and character, Ron (Cassius) McGarry who was getting on a bit but still a bit of a joker. McGarry used to have a bookies round the corner from us in the 80's and would be standing outside asking passers by who'd obviously been to the match if it was a good game? He once asked my dad what the match was like after seeing me with a NUFC cap on or something walk past his shop so my dad gave him his opinion on the game. After we walked past my dad said he used to be Newcastle's striker but I just thought he was an old gadgie so wasn't sure whether to believe him! :D

Peter Withe in attendance? 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

There is absolutely no way youre only two years older than me.

No offense. 

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

There is absolutely no way youre only two years older than me.

No offense. 

You realise that’s David Dickinson in my display picture, aye? :lol:

Tbf he looks his age, and I also look his age.

Also, some offence taken.

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Toonpack, Spongebob, RobinRobin, Alex. 

On the radio as it happens, wasn’t televised iirc 👍

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

The outrage on that thread posted by folks typing on their phones (made in sweatshops) wearing shirts/t shirts/jeans shorts/trousers/trainers/ undercrackers(made in sweatshops) is mad.

• Like 2

New PSR avoidance strategy, sign dodgy PIF owned Saudi/Middle Eastern sponsors and build in hefty cancellation fee for reputational risk.

"Worker mistreatment? That'll be 10M, now bugger off. Next."

"Lashed your lass in public? That'll be 15M. Next."

"Fetish for farting on your camels' nose? Animal cruelty. 10M. Next."

arab GIF

Edited by aimaad22
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Toonpack said:

The outrage on that thread posted by folks typing on their phones (made in sweatshops) wearing shirts/t shirts/jeans shorts/trousers/trainers/ undercrackers(made in sweatshops) is mad.

That’s why I always tweet and post naked. 

34 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

That’s why I always tweet and post naked. 

No wonder you are banned from Tesco's.

• Haha 2

• Monkeys Fist changed the title to 2024/25 - Generic NUFC Chat. Cunts ☑️