The ChatGPT Thread

Gemmill

21 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

As a special bonus, Sunderland played there a mere 2 years ago, so there’ll be plenty special marras of the lads for you to wind up.

It’s a little known HISTORICAL FACT that The Posh were founded in 1633 by a travelling spoon salesman from sunderland called Peter Brough. 

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s a little known HISTORICAL FACT that The Posh were founded in 1633 by a travelling spoon salesman from sunderland called Peter Brough. 

Archaeological evidence actually suggests the original spelling of his name was Peyter Brewff 

• Haha 4

Ahh man Meenzer, sorry to hear about your potential work difficulties, but on the other hand maybe in this increasingly digitised remote world we work in there may be wider opportunities? In my own field, I didn't realise this until I bothered looking (not suggesting you haven't like). But Peterborough, really? You only get one life mate so make sure you are sure! Best of luck anyway, you too HMHM, in a parallel Universe I reckon you have got a top job as a satirical writer or something. Sure something good will turn up for you. 

• Like 2

Just "back read" this thread a way, shit for Meenzer and HMHM, hope all works out - it usually does tbh.

I do fear for NUFC though, we seem to perform much better when HMHM is detained at work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

But Peterborough, really? You only get one life mate so make sure you are sure!

I swear I'm getting more concern for this than when I came out of the closet. :lol:

But aye, it's fine. It's not like we intend to be there forever, but while we're at this age it makes sense to be close enough to London to be able to do 1-2 days a week hybrid if necessary (which might become advantageous depending on what happens to me work-wise) and the occasional theatre trip, dahling, while also being far enough away to free ourselves from landlord hell and actually have some money left over at the end of the month again.

Manchester was the other option we considered but we'd only have been able to afford to live in a decidedly less salubrious part of town, so we figured why not lean into that idea completely. :D

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I swear I'm getting more concern for this than when I came out of the closet. :lol:

But aye, it's fine. It's not like we intend to be there forever, but while we're at this age it makes sense to be close enough to London to be able to do 1-2 days a week hybrid if necessary (which might become advantageous depending on what happens to me work-wise) and the occasional theatre trip, dahling, while also being far enough away to free ourselves from landlord hell and actually have some money left over at the end of the month again.

Manchester was the other option we considered but we'd only have been able to afford to live in a decidedly less salubrious part of town, so we figured why not lean into that idea completely. :D

:lol:

Fair enough, I know you will have thought this through! I'm sure it is way better than Slough, for instance. And I had a look at the top 10 attractions, and at number 3 was this. Combining wildlife and model railways, what's not to like. :)

https://www.railworld.org.uk/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

we'd only have been able to afford to live in a decidedly less salubrious part of town, so we figured why not lean into that idea completely. :D

Before you take that leap, you should have a look around. 

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Because being gay isn't a bad thing, but being unemployable is, you fucking bigot.

I know you're set on Peterborough now, but I could have recommended Stockport which is definitely on the rise and shouldn't be a massive house price difference?

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I know you're set on Peterborough now, but I could have recommended Stockport which is definitely on the rise and shouldn't be a massive house price difference?

You appear to have confused me with someone who wanted your opinion

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

You appear to have confused me with someone who wanted your opinion

My opinion is like sunrise, it's coming whether you want it or not.

• 7 months later...
On 06/04/2023 at 20:04, Meenzer said:

Cheers fellas. They've promised no major changes "for the time being" (:lol:) and there might be opportunities for different roles within whatever it is they actually do (none of us is entirely sure yet), but I'm realistic enough to understand that my kind of work is absolutely the kind of thing decent AI is made for swallowing up - or at least the lower-hanging fruit is, anyway - so it's probably best not to be an ostrich about it. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Meanwhile, the translation industry is firmly up shit creek and my company's revenue is way down so the axe is a-swingin'. My whole team has been classified as "at risk" and I've just had my first consultation meeting but they're still not sure as to what extent the redundancies will take, just that some (at least) will be necessary. Not a massive surprise really.

Meenzer's next job could be in cyber (he just doesn't know it yet)

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Meanwhile, the translation industry is firmly up shit creek and my company's revenue is way down so the axe is a-swingin'. My whole team has been classified as "at risk" and I've just had my first consultation meeting but they're still not sure as to what extent the redundancies will take, just that some (at least) will be necessary. Not a massive surprise really.

View it as an opportunity. Me, you and Gemmill can go for a cheap pint* during the week on our giro day, not a care in the world. We could sit in a bay window on a dinner time flicking the V's at the passers by. 

*Non alcoholic versions available. Ask behind the bar about Pina coladas for Gemma. :good:

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

Ah man that's shit. 

You thought about any industries you might want to move into should the axe find it's mark?

Sorry to hear about the job situation, Meenzer. It must be horrible to have that uncertainty hanging over you. I hope your job isn't one of those on the line. 

I can recommend re-reading the first couple of pages of this thread if you need something to cheer you up.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Really sorry to hear that, mate 

Cheers all. :good: I've been there nearly 18 years so there'll be a decent wedge of statutory coming my way if it happens, so I can't really complain too much compared with some of the young 'uns whom it'll hit hard.

Obviously morale around the place is at rock bottom which doesn't make it an especially lovely place to work regardless of who survives and who doesn't, but you're not supposed to like work, are you? :dunno:  

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

You thought about any industries you might want to move into should the axe find it's mark?

Not really. I landed in translation by accident in the first place so I expect to end up doing something similarly random. Part-time running coach, part-time librarian, that kind of thing. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Cheers all. :good: I've been there nearly 18 years so there'll be a decent wedge of statutory coming my way if it happens, so I can't really complain too much compared with some of the young 'uns whom it'll hit hard.

Obviously morale around the place is at rock bottom which doesn't make it an especially lovely place to work regardless of who survives and who doesn't, but you're not supposed to like work, are you? :dunno:  

Not really. I landed in translation by accident in the first place so I expect to end up doing something similarly random. Part-time running coach, part-time librarian, that kind of thing. :lol:

I could see you running a small bookshop/coffeeshop. Called something unpretentious like "Martin's Books". 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

View it as an opportunity. Me, you and Gemmill can go for a cheap pint* during the week on our giro day, not a care in the world. We could sit in a bay window on a dinner time flicking the V's at the passers by. 

*Non alcoholic versions available. Ask behind the bar about Pina coladas for Gemma. :good:

The Victoria in W/Bay is ideal, but you need to start at 10am.

Sorry to hear that Meenzer, best of luck in either being the token human in the army of C3 PO's or finding something else ASAP. You're within reach of London which should help I guess. 

Been a few at mine, I'm now the oldest person in my office at 53, I think there are more than 40 still left. Like the traitors, ageism is clearly a thing at my work place. No luck finding anything else yet, times are tough in Newcastle at the moment. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I could see you running a small bookshop/coffeeshop. Called something unpretentious like "Martin's Books". 

A cafe called "Meenz' Beanz" maybe. Or yeah, maybe not. 

• Haha 3

Anyway, surely having "Administrator" status on here should you straight in the door of a FTSE 100 company as a CEO? 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

The Victoria in W/Bay is ideal, but you need to start at 10am.

Sorry to hear that Meenzer, best of luck in either being the token human in the army of C3 PO's or finding something else ASAP. You're within reach of London which should help I guess. 

Been a few at mine, I'm now the oldest person in my office at 53, I think there are more than 40 still left. Like the traitors, ageism is clearly a thing at my work place. No luck finding anything else yet, times are tough in Newcastle at the moment. 

The ageism thing has crossed my mind a couple of times I'll be honest.