2023/24 squad list

Kid Dynamite

So let's try and figure out who in the current squad is making the squad list next season.

PL rules are:

Squad of 25

17 x non-home grown players

8 x home grown players

u21 players don't count towards the 25

What is a Home-Grown Player?

A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

Rules on U21 players

Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2023/24 campaign, Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2002

GKs

Pope 1

Karius 2

Dubravka 3

Darlow

Gillespie 

DFs

Krafth 4

Lewis 

Manquillo

Trippier 5 

Schar 6

Lascelles 7

Botman 8

Dummett 9 (HG)

Targett 10

Burn 11

Ashby 

Watts (HG)

MFs

Almiron 12

Hayden 

ASM 13

Gordon 14

Ritchie 15

Anderson (HG/U21)

Miley (HG/U21)

Willock 16

Tonali 17

Bruno 18 

Joelinton 19

Fraser 

Longstaff 20 (HG)

Hendrick 

Murphy 21 

? Barnes 22

CFs

Wilson 23

Isak 24

Edited by Kid Dynamite

With the contract news yesterday, I think this will be the 23 man squad, with no incoming transfers. What happens after that I have no idea.

GKS

Pope

Karius

Gillespie

DFs

Trippier

Schar

Lascelles

Botman

Dummett

Targett

Burn

Ashby

MFs

Almiron

ASM

Gordon

Ritchie

Anderson

Willock

Bruno

Joelinton 

Longstaff

Murphy

CFs

Wilson

Isak

i'm surprised ritchie's contract has been extended. he must provide some superb dressing room bants because i don't see him getting many minutes on the pitch  

Edited by Dr Gloom

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm suorises ritchie's contract has been extended. he must provide some superb dressing room bants because i don't see him getting many minutes on the pitch  

I’m willing to bet he moves on to the coaching team when it’s finished.

• Like 2

Agree re the coaching role as Howe obviously likes having him around. Might be an experienced pro to bolster the reserve team too, or whatever it’s called now. I think they finished near the bottom of the second tier last season. You’d think it would be much more beneficial for any young talent coming through to play against what the likes of Man City and Liverpool have in the future. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

We'll have no problem meeting the national home grown requirement for the CL, we only need eight players in the squad to have been developed in England. The issue we'll have is that four of those players need to have been trained by the club as kids and at the moment we only have two.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I'm happy to see his contract extended.  You can see he is integral in the squad.  Like @ewerksuggested too, it maybe part of the HG coefficient for the CL too.

ritchie? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strawb said:

With the contract news yesterday, I think this will be the 23 man squad, with no incoming transfers. What happens after that I have no idea.

GKS

Pope

Karius

Gillespie

DFs

Trippier

Schar

Lascelles

Botman

Dummett

Targett

Burn

Ashby

MFs

Almiron

ASM

Gordon

Ritchie

Anderson

Willock

Bruno

Joelinton 

Longstaff

Murphy

CFs

Wilson

Isak

So:

Dubravka

Darlow

Krafth

Manquillo

Lewis

Fraser

Hendrick

Hayden

all to move on. That's going to be a nightmare 

I think Gordon and Ashby are too old to count as U21s this season? Anderson counts towards it. Which leaves 3 spaces in the squad. If we are really after 5 new signings it makes the Ritchie contract an odd one 

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We'll have no problem meeting the national home grown requirement for the CL, we only need eight players in the squad to have been developed in England. The issue we'll have is that four of those players need to have been trained by the club as kids and at the moment we only have two.

Gillespie, Dummet, Longstaff, Watts, Anderson?

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Gillespie, Dummet, Longstaff, Watts, Anderson?

Gillespie left at 16 so didn't complete the two year period from 15 required. Anderson still counts as a U-21. Kell Watts is... well he's Kell Watts.

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So:

Dubravka

Darlow

Krafth

Manquillo

Lewis

Fraser

Hendrick

Hayden

I think Gordon and Ashby are too old to count as U21s this season? Anderson counts towards it. Which leaves 3 spaces in the squad. If we are really after 5 new signings it makes the Ritchie contract an odd one 

Add ASM too (LTA klaxon alert)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Gillespie left at 16 so didn't complete the two year period from 15 required. Anderson still counts as a U-21. Kell Watts is... well he's Kell Watts.

Can the U21s not count towards the 4 though?

24 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

So:

Dubravka

Darlow

Krafth

Manquillo

Lewis

Fraser

Hendrick

Hayden

Yeah that’s what I would do, but it’s probably for the best for us that I’m not paid to make these decisions.

Not going to be easy reorganising an Ashley squad tbh

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Can the U21s not count towards the 4 though?

U-21s don't count towards the 25 man limit. It just means that as things stand we'd be limited to a 23 man CL squad and as many U-21 players as we like.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, strawb said:

Yeah that’s what I would do, but it’s probably for the best for us that I’m not paid to make these decisions.

Not going to be easy reorganising an Ashley squad tbh

Manquillo may get a place because of his versatility. Krafth was also playing well before his injury. But if we are looking at Tierney then we don't need 7-8 players that can play full back in the squad 

• Like 2

On 15/06/2023 at 08:10, Kid Dynamite said:

So let's try and figure out who in the current squad is making the squad list next season.

PL rules are:

Squad of 25

17 x non-home grown players

8 x home grown players

u21 players don't count towards the 25

What is a Home-Grown Player?

A "Home-Grown Player" means a player who, irrespective of nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21). Champions League rules state that 4 of those players, since his 15th birthday,must have played for the club for an uninterrupted period of two years, or a total of three consecutive years. He can have a maximum of one loan period to a club from the same association for a period not longer than one year.

Rules on U21 players

Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2023/24 campaign, Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2002

GKs

Pope 1

Karius 2

Dubravka 3

Darlow

Gillespie 

DFs

Krafth 4

Lewis 

Manquillo

Trippier 5 

Schar 6

Lascelles 7

Botman 8

Dummett 9 (HG CL)

Targett 10

Burn 11

Ashby 

Watts 12 (HG CL)

MFs

Almiron 13

Hayden 

ASM 14

Gordon 15

Ritchie 16

Anderson (HG CL/U21)

Miley (HG CL/U21)

Willock 17

Tonali 18

Bruno 19 

Joelinton 20

Fraser 

Longstaff 21 (HG CL)

Hendrick 

Murphy 22 

? Barnes 23

CFs

Wilson 24

Isak 25

I've updated the list with Tonali and the potential signing of Barnes. 

Longstaff, Anderson, Dummet, Watts and Miley count towards the 4 x academy taught players for CL rules. Miley coming into the squad may mean the end of Watts.

GK positions remain to be seen. If rumours are to be believed we've offered Karius a 1 year extension, possibly as Gillespie's replacement as 3rd choice? Darlow in talks with other clubs. Hopefully Dubravka stays as number 2.

Anderson and Miley are the only U21 players that don't count towards the 25 man squad limit.

Which leaves us 8 players over our limit if we sign Barnes. You would imagine that Darlow, Gillespie, Lewis, Ashby, Hendrick, Hayden, Fraser, Manquillo are surplus to requirements so will be sold or loaned out.

We need another CB and LB ideally which means 2 more players would need to make way. Watts likely the first? ASM the second? If we sign Livramento then he's another U21 player.

Still don't understand giving Ritchie an extension?

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 2

Ritchie is basically a coach at this point.

In our end of season videos he was called out as the "unsung hero" of the season by half the squad, apparently hes a big leader in training and really drives the standard.

Worth keeping around and I suppose if hes a coach he isnt actually /training/ with the players. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

You're right. Another squad place down, unless Dubravka or Karius move on 

If either move on I suspect between the two it’s more likely to be Dubravka if Howe is going to be consistent (Fraser).

On 15/06/2023 at 19:28, wykikitoon said:

I'm happy to see his contract extended.  You can see he is integral in the squad.  Like @ewerksuggested too, it maybe part of the HG coefficient for the CL too.

It's clearly due to this.

• Haha 4