Why was the flag at half mast today?

Renton

Just wondered if anyone knows why?

Something to do with Jinky Johnson? Seems unlikely as there was no real Newcastle connection. :o

In anticipation of the poor result and worse performance? Seems unlikely as the club do not have any foresight. ;)

In memory or the great team Souness has utterly destroyed, nearly bankrupting us in the process? Again, seems unlikely given the boards complicity in this event. ;)

Or perhaps they just forgot to put it up to full mast after the last match? Seems the most likely explanation given the club's incompetence. ;)

Any ideas?

Edited by Renton

Win/win for you today Renton.  Newcastle lost, but your second love - Liverpool and its lovely band of inhabitants won. :o

108110[/snapback]

Not at all. I don't mind Liverpool as a club, but was pretty depressed to see that we really now are a very mediocre team. It will take one hell of a manager and a lot of money for us to catch up with the likes of Liverpool now.

Anyway, did you notice the flag at half mast?

Win/win for you today Renton.  Newcastle lost, but your second love - Liverpool and its lovely band of inhabitants won. :o

108110[/snapback]

Not at all. I don't mind Liverpool as a club, but was pretty depressed to see that we really now are a very mediocre team. It will take one hell of a manager and a lot of money for us to catch up with the likes of Liverpool now.

108116[/snapback]

Aye, I wondered the same thing. It was at half-mast a couple of week ago and it wouldn't surprise me if they've just forgot to raise it again.

I hope Liverpool never win the CL again too btw. Will they ever fuck off with that we won it five times song. Knobbers.

Edited by Gemmill

108110[/snapback]

108116[/snapback]

Aye, I wondered the same thing. It was at half-mast a couple of week ago and it wouldn't surprise me if they've just forgot to raise it again.

I hope Liverpool never win the CL again too btw. Will they ever fuck off with that we won it five times song. Knobbers.

108120[/snapback]

Seriously though, I heard other people mention this, but would we not be even worse? From a personal point of view, I would, in the incredibly unlikely event we won won it.

The flag was at half-mast for some geordie comedian according to the PA man.

108157[/snapback]

Boumsong? Perhaps his performance was in tribute.

Edited by Gemmill

Didn't realise, used to serve him all the time when I worked in Fitzgeralds. 

RIP Spike

108309[/snapback]

We used to go to Fitzy's for a pint after 5-a-side on a Thursday and he was always propping up the bar.

Didn't realise, used to serve him all the time when I worked in Fitzgeralds. 

RIP Spike

108309[/snapback]

We used to go to Fitzy's for a pint after 5-a-side on a Thursday and he was always propping up the bar.

108312[/snapback]

Was never out of the place, with his band of merry men. I don't think I worked a shift, other than match day lunch time, that I didn't have the pleasure of his company for at least a quick one.

Without wanting to sound disrespectful, is flying the flag half-mast for the death of a local comedian not many of us have heard of really appropriate? Surely such a gesture should only be made when a significant ex-player or manager dies, or there is a national or international catastrophe? Just a thought.

Without wanting to sound disrespectful, is flying the flag half-mast for the death of a local comedian not many of us have heard of really appropriate? Surely such a gesture should only be made when a significant ex-player or manager dies, or there is a national or international catastrophe? Just a thought.

108321[/snapback]

He worked at the club too like so maybe that was why.

[half joking, half serious]Should have got a minute's silence too, more worthy than some I could mention (Ken Bigley, Princess Margaret etc.) [/half joking, half serious]

108321[/snapback]

[half joking, half serious]Should have got a minute's silence too, more worthy than some I could mention (Ken Bigley, Princess Margaret etc.) [/half joking, half serious]

108325[/snapback]

Fully serious, no balls? :lol:

108321[/snapback]

108325[/snapback]

Fully serious, no balls? :lol:

108328[/snapback]

:lol:

To clarify, he shouldn't have got a minute's silence but he's more worthy of one than the other two.

:lol:

To clarify, he shouldn't have got a minute's silence but he's more worthy of one than the other two.

108331[/snapback]

I'd say I'd probably agree with you if I could be arsed to have an opinion today, I was half joking, half serious tbh. :lol: