General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Really? I don't think it's medieval at all. I think that someone who has murdered another human being and taken away their future should be given only the basic of human rights. What kind of "progress" are you thinking of? Letting him out one day a week to go and work at a local youth club under supervision so that eventually he'll come to understand the diversity of society?

it's obviously a cultural difference between Norway & Britain.

to be honest, i'm more in favour of rehabilitation than punishment; any concept of revenge seems as barbaric to me as the initial act.

obviously countries with medieval approaches to punishment (Saudi Arabia, Iran, the US) brook no dissension from the idea of vengeful punishment.

In Norway, right wing psychopaths like Breivik commit mass murder; in Britain they post on messageboards under the moniker CabayeAye

it's obviously a cultural difference between Norway & Britain.

to be honest, i'm more in favour of rehabilitation than punishment; any concept of revenge seems as barbaric to me as the initial act.

obviously countries with medieval approaches to punishment (Saudi Arabia, Iran, the US) brook no dissension from the idea of vengeful punishment.

In Norway, right wing psychopaths like Breivik commit mass murder; in Britain they post on messageboards under the moniker CabayeAye

Why would you want to rehabilitate a mass murderer. I can't understand the logic of why society needs to, or what it would get out of it. If one of your children was amongst the 77 dead, I'm pretty sure you'd look at that differently.

In the 60's someone was killed under the death penalty but later proven innocent, now I'm not saying blanket bring back the death penalty, but this man has been proven in a court of law that he murdered 77 kids, under free will, that's how much value for life he has, so surely his lack of value for life which is proven beyond doubt, then he should face a similar fate.

Rehabilitation can mean many things, including coming to terms with your crimes.

Noone is advocating rehabilitating Breivik they way you think McFaul.

It was argued on a general basis.

He enjoyed destroying families, he laughed when he did it, he enjoyed destroying many hundreds more lives than that of just the victims. There's a legacy from what he did, he's evil, evil people should be killed.

Yeah but Stevie, If we lock him away in a nice flowery cell then he is punished for his crime and might even see the error of his ways. That would be the real victory for justice.

Would it fuck. Do you think the parents of the kids would want him locked away and in comfort? He clearly can't live in society so should be removed from it. Then why the cost of this? Save the cash and give him one fatal needle.

If he is only to be locked away, then why not give him the same comfort he has given those kids that now lie in a coffin? One cell, nothing in it.

Rehabilitation can mean many things, including coming to terms with your crimes.

Noone is advocating rehabilitating Breivik

It was argued on a general basis.

of course it was; as a general rule of thumb, i believe in rehabilitation, not retribution.

also, the nature of society & the judicial system means that the responsibility for pursuing justice lies with the state apparatus, not the individual; which is exactly as it should be

Yeah but Stevie, If we lock him away in a nice flowery cell then he is punished for his crime and might even see the error of his ways. That would be the real victory for justice.

Would it fuck. Do you think the parents of the kids would want him locked away and in comfort? He clearly can't live in society so should be removed from it. Then why the cost of this? Save the cash and give him one fatal needle.

If he is only to be locked away, then why not give him the same comfort he has given those kids that now lie in a coffin? One cell, nothing in it.

perhaps Norwegian society is culturally different; perhaps the families of the victims don't want revenge.

fwiw I don't think capital punishment would provide anything the victims need. I'd advocate scientific and medical testing on him though, despite that being (realistically speaking) torture.

You dont punish Breivik by killing him. You are just punishing his family and relatives even further.

A surprising number of parents have actually stated they dont want him dead, just removed from society. Which is excactly what has been done.

What is critical is to adress the really important issue which is WHY this has happened, so that we can prevent it from happening again.

People like breivik needs to be met with an open dialogue and an exchange of facts ( much like our failed 50th crusade in the middle east).

Edited by Lake Bells tits

You dont punish Breivik by killing him. You are just punishing his family and relatives even further.

A surprising number of parents have actually stated they dont want him dead, just removed from society. Which is excactly what has been done.

What is critical is to adress the really important issue which is WHY this has happened, so that we can prevent it from happening again.

People like breivik needs to be met with an open dialogue and an exchange of facts ( much like our failed 50th crusade in the middle east).

There should be a thread for such questions.

of course it was; as a general rule of thumb, i believe in rehabilitation, not retribution.

also, the nature of society & the judicial system means that the responsibility for pursuing justice lies with the state apparatus, not the individual; which is exactly as it should be

Prison's meant to be about rehabilitation and punishment. Not just the former. That is exactly how it should be. The British justice system doesn't seem to be successful on either count but that is probably something for another debate.

Prison's meant to be about rehabilitation and punishment. Not just the former. That is exactly how it should be. The British justice system doesn't seem to be successful on either count but that is probably something for another debate.

Yes but the punishment lies in the incarceration itself. Shitty serving conditions just adds insult to injury and serves no purpose other than eye-for-an-eye arguements that does nothing but alienate the inmates and further reduce the chance of them ever becoming lawful citizens.

Seeing the error of their ways is no easier if you are being treated like shit instead of being assessed and helped. They just end up hating everyone ( including themselves)

Yes but the punishment lies in the incarceration itself. Shitty serving conditions just adds insult to injury and serves no purpose other than eye-for-an-eye arguements that does nothing but alienate the inmates and further reduce the chance of them ever becoming lawful citizens.

Seeing the error of their ways is no easier if you are being treated like shit instead of being assessed and helped.

I've never mentioned the bit in bold so I'm not sure why you've directed that at me.

perhaps Norwegian society is culturally different; perhaps the families of the victims don't want revenge.

You may well be right, but I bet no one has asked them.

If you live in Oslo or the area where it happened, 77 kids died. They probably all knew 100 people well. So that's maybe 7,700 people who are related to a victim, so it's not obscene to imagine everyone in this little pocket of Norway knows a friend or relative of the victim. That is the impact one man had. People on about rehabilitation, and flowery words about state legal systems. Fuck off. You're mentally ill. The bloke should be made to suffer a horrific existence, or killed. End of story, and I'm pretty sure 99% of the families wouldn't give a flying fuck about his "rehabilitation". Some people exist beyond reality on this forum, I can only presume it's anti-depressants.

Either in a case like this, or more generally, I don't really think you can base the sentence on the victims' / victims' families wishes. You can't rehabilitate a person like this either. The notion's ridiculous.

Either in a case like this, or more generally, I don't really think you can base the sentence on the victims' / victims' families wishes. You can't rehabilitate a person like this either. The notion's ridiculous.

If only there was a term for sentencing according to the family of the victims wishes..

Oh wait, there is. Its called Lynching.

Very popular in the middle east and africa :lol: