General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

23 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I sometimes wonder where I’d be now career-wise if I’d taken my 20s and early 30s more seriously and spent less time partying. But do I regret those years? Do I bollocks. Best years of my life, which I’m pretty sure I’ll look back on and treasure. I still do now to the extent that I’m having a mid life crisis and still venturing out to the occasional night that I’m obviously too old for now. Remember when you were a out partying in late teenage/early 20s years and you’d clock some old cunts and think, what the fuck are they doing here? Yup.

I think the main thing people look back on from their death bed with regret, is working too hard so you don’t see enough of your kids growing up, which I’m certainly not guilty of, and not shagging enough different lasses. I’d say the latter is probably my biggest regret! 

I hear you, I am 39 now, I decided that at age 33 I wouldn't partake in such activities again, drugs and techno that is. Some of the raves I went to when I was young were ferral. But there were many more class festivals after that drug free. I got invited to an outing last month, to see Ferry Corsten and Markus Schulz, by a lass. There was serious trepidation. Too old. Some there would be half my age. But the promise of a tab and a bag of Columbian Marching Powder eased my anxiety. Great night. No regrets.

I never wanted to be one of the fossils in a club / at a rave but (although I can't be arsed anyway any more) I think it's a bit different since we grew up with that music but there was something a bit tragic about the old farts back then trying E and stuff for the first time in their 40s. Mind, loads of them were charvas so they could well have been in their late 20s

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

I never wanted to be one of the fossils in a club / at a rave but (although I can't be arsed anyway any more) I think it's a bit different since we grew up with that music but there was something a bit tragic about the old farts back then trying E and stuff for the first time in their 40s. Mind, loads of them were charvas so they could well have been in their late 20s

Techno/Electronica is mainstream these days. Back way when it was underground. That is the main difference.

Just now, Ken said:

Techno/Electronica is mainstream these days. Back way when it was underground. That is the main difference.

The mainstream 'EDM' is absolutely fucking shit though on the whole. The underground still exists, it's just splintered into a million pieces

Just now, Alex said:

The mainstream 'EDM' is absolutely fucking shit though on the whole. The underground still exists, it's just splintered into a million pieces

Yeah, agree. Those that were underground like Van Buuren, well, listen to his stuff now.

6 minutes ago, Ken said:

Yeah, agree. Those that were underground like Van Buuren, well, listen to his stuff now.

I was never really into that progressive house/trance stuff like Armin Van Buuren did. The original progressive house sound was class, Leftfield - Not Forgotten, Djum Djum - Difference , that sort of thing. His sound was a follow on from that though. Lots of the Dutch and German producers that took that progressive sound and made it into something else started off as gabber / nosebleed techno producers and DJs. The Dutch loved all that shit. I preferred the more techno-like end of the trance spectrum. Without wishing to get too hung up on labels but Robert Leiner, CJ Bolland and that type of thing. Probably listen to more house than anything else now but it's the proper shit. Most of what supposedly passes for deep house and the like now is practically fucking Euro pop. Kids today, eh? :lol:

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was never really into that progressive house/trance stuff like Armin Van Buuren did. The original progressive house sound was class, Leftfield - Not Forgotten, Djum Djum - Difference , that sort of thing. His sound was a follow on from that though. Lots of the Dutch and German producers that took that progressive sound and made it into something else started off as gabber / nosebleed techno producers and DJs. The Dutch loved all that shit. I preferred the more techno-like end of the trance spectrum. Without wishing to get too hung up on labels but Robert Leiner, CJ Bolland and that type of thing. Probably listen to more house than anything else now but it's the proper shit. Most of what supposedly passes for deep house and the like now is practically fucking Euro pop. Kids today, eh? :lol:

You are older than me obviously. Leftfield and Bolland I am familiar with, they are class, the others I don't have a clue. I will look them up though.

1 minute ago, Ken said:

You are older than me obviously. Leftfield and Bolland I am familiar with, they are class, the others I don't have a clue. I will look them up though.

I think we're about the same age but you have the disdavantage of your country taking about 15 years longer to cotton on to dance music ;)

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I had a boss called Chris Bolland once.  What a cunt. 

Bolland is Belgian but he was born in Stockton-on-Tees as it happens

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think we're about the same age but you have the disdavantage of your country taking about 15 years longer to cotton on to dance music ;)

:lol: I think you are slightly older, sly prick.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

When I saw Orbital about 5 years back I was one of the youngest ones there :lol:

i went to a Carter USM reunion gig (forgive me, i'm sentimental) a few years back at the brixton academy and it was the same. talk about regrets, there were some sorry looking people in there that night. class gig though 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i went to a Carter USM reunion gig (forgive me, i'm sentimental) a few years back at the brixton academy and it was the same. talk about regrets, there were some sorry looking people in there that night. class gig though 

Worst sights I've ever seen at a gig was Hawkwind at the Empire in Boro in '05. Fuck me gently :lol: My mate's into Hawkwind I might add.