Pete Doherty

LeazesMag

I think that Doherty could have been a tremendous artist. He had so much potential and to see someone fritter it away is frankly sickening. If I had an ounce of his talent I wouldn't squander it by sucking half of columbia up my nose.

I've got nothing against recreational drug taking, but there is a difference between that and what Pete gets up to. He is no different to the junkies and detritus that you would demand off the streets and into some sort of facility.

the ONLY reason people support him is because they're swayed by his talent. He is not a "really friendly guy" he's not an alright bloke. He's a drug fiend who has lost control of his habit and is on the slippery slope to no-where and I don't read the Sun, the Mirror or the Star.

He suffered the curse of the NME, hyping him up to rediculous levels, add to that a frightening drug problem and believing his own hype.. and this is what you get. A joke.

I've seen him perform once live and two or three times live to tv and each and every time I was massivley underwhelmed and frankly insulted by the clip of the lad when he came on stage.

Half of the songs were out of time, out of tune and only received praise from the clones at the front of the gig blinded by his infamy.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Doherty could have been a tremendous artist. He had so much potential and to see someone fritter it away is frankly sickening. If I had an ounce of his talent I wouldn't squander it by sucking half of columbia up my nose.

I've got nothing against recreational drug taking, but there is a difference between that and what Pete gets up to. He is no different to the junkies and detritus that you would demand off the streets and into some sort of facility.

the ONLY reason people support him is because they're swayed by his talent. He is not a "really friendly guy" he's not an alright bloke. He's a drug fiend who has lost control of his habit and is on the slippery slope to no-where and I don't read the Sun, the Mirror or the Star.

He suffered the curse of the NME, hyping him up to rediculous levels, add to that a frightening drug problem and believing his own hype.. and this is what you get. A joke.

I've seen him perform once live and two or three times live to tv and each and every time I was massivley underwhelmed and frankly insulted by the clip of the lad when he came on stage.

Half of the songs were out of time, out of tune and only received praise from the clones at the front of the gig blinded by his infamy.

129994[/snapback]

i get the impression that you dont like him.

i'm struggling to reconcile the fact that i love the music of alice in chains who singer was addicted to heroin for many. many years before it killed him against dohertys abuse and wasting whatever talent he has.

why is one considered a tragic hero of immense talent and the other talentless junkie scum?

why is one considered a tragic hero of immense talent and the other talentless junkie scum?

130005[/snapback]

Because one is a tragic hero of immense talent and the other is talentless junkie scum?

My mate Charlie was hanging round with him in the Newcastle the other week and she said he was proper canny. Really friendly guy.

129937[/snapback]

She sounds like a fucking wannabe, silly girl.

I would never get sick of jumping up and down on the dirtys smack rats head, simple as.

Hang him!

I wish he wouldn't keep being brought to my attention because nothing would please me more than to have his throat in one hand and my fist buried in his face. Just reminds me my chance of this happening is indredibly slim. ;)

129994[/snapback]

i get the impression that you dont like him.

i'm struggling to reconcile the fact that i love the music of alice in chains who singer was addicted to heroin for many. many years before it killed him against dohertys abuse and wasting whatever talent he has.

130005[/snapback]

Well I was always a fan of Free, still am, Free Live is my favourite ever album, and when Paul Kossoff died it was tragic, and when he fell over, broke his arm and the gig at the Mayfair was cancelled I was pissed off. I wasn't to know at the time I wouldn't get another chance to see the band. So I never got to see them at all.

He was a junkie, and died of heroin overdose and perpetual drug abuse.

This is a different kettle of fish to this twat Doherty. Koss harmed himself, he didn't abuse other peoples bodies, nor did he behave like a complete arsehole yob and wanker in public with other people.

Edited by LeazesMag

Well I was always a fan of Free, still am, Free Live is my favourite ever album, and when Paul Kossoff died it was tragic, and when he fell over, broke his arm and the gig at the Mayfair was cancelled I was pissed off. I wasn't to know at the time I wouldn't get another chance to see the band. So I never got to see them at all.

This is a different kettle of fish to this twat Doherty. Koss harmed himself, he didn't abuse other peoples bodies, nor did he behave like a complete arsehole yob and wanker in public with other people.

130037[/snapback]

I think the only difference is the media portrayal of the two. The Sun had little interest in Paul Kossoff. They do have in Pete Doherty. Is it because he's a better musician? Obviously not. It's because he shagged a famous model.

I have nothing more against Doherty than any other crackheed, more pity than hatred. Anyone who works at The Sun should be shot though.

130037[/snapback]

I think the only difference is the media portrayal of the two. The Sun had little interest in Paul Kossoff. They do have in Pete Doherty. Is it because he's a better musician? Obviously not. It's because he shagged a famous model.

I have nothing more against Doherty than any other crackheed, more pity than hatred. Anyone who works at The Sun should be shot though.

130039[/snapback]

Basically, the media didn't bother people like Kossoff and Janis Joplin, because they didn't attract attention by being fuckwits and yobs. Doherty attracts attention because he's a fuckwit and a yob, not just because he was shagging Kate Moss.

Load of celebs shag other celebs but don't attract that sort of publicity.

As for the Sun, I take the view that each to their own with newspapers. If someone wants to fight their way through huge sized pages to read something, fair enough its up to them. I couldn't be arsed. I know plenty of intelligent and worldy wise people who are quite happy watching the news on TV every evening, and don't bother reading a newspaper, if they want to read something, they pick up a good book instead. This is what I like to do. Because in all newspapers, once you get past the basic news in whatever format its presented, the rest is just articles, and I for one don't give a rats arse about the theatre, fashion, check the thousands of stocks and share listings, or a profile on the history of stamp collecting.

Basically, I don't feel the need to read the Guardian, or the Times, to portray myself as intelligent, as I said, just do what you want. Looking down on people for being themselves does you no favours, in fact, quite the reverse. It just makes you look like a right nob. A journalist is a journalist too, they are just doing their jobs. However, so far as football goes, I think some of the journalists who write for the Times and the Guardian, most definitely don't have a clue about the game or what they are talking about.

And if that photo of him injecting that girl turns out to be real and he gets 10 years, then that journalist from the Sun, "who should be shot" according to you, has done us all a favour IMO

Edited by LeazesMag

130037[/snapback]

130039[/snapback]

Basically, the media didn't bother people like Kossoff and Janis Joplin, because they didn't attract attention by being fuckwits and yobs. Doherty attracts attention because he's a fuckwit and a yob, not just because he was shagging Kate Moss.

As for the Sun, I take the view that each to their own with newspapers. If someone wants to fight their way through huge sized pages to read something, fair enough its up to them. I couldn't be arsed. I know plenty of intelligent and worldy wise people who are quite happy watching the news on TV every evening, and don't bother reading a newspaper, if they want to read something, they pick up a good book instead. This is what I like to do. Because in all newspapers, once you get past the basic news in whatever format its presented, the rest is just articles, and I for one don't give a rats arse about the theatre, fashion, check the thousands of stocks and share listings, or a profile on the history of stamp collecting.

Basically, I don't feel the need to read the Guardian, or the Times, to portray myself as intelligent, do what you want. Looking down on people for being themselves does you no favours, in fact, quite the reverse. It just makes you look like a right nob. A journalist is a journalist too, they are just doing their jobs. However, so far as football goes, I think some of the journalists who write for the Times and the Guardian, most definitely don't have a clue about the game or what they are talking about.

And if that photo of him injecting that girl turns out to be real and he gets 10 years, then that journalist from the Sun, "who should be shot" according to you, has done us all a favour IMO

130050[/snapback]

Woah, way to misconstrue.

I'm not saying Sun readers are thick. My Dad gets it for the racing page. Like you, I don't get a daily paper. I was using the Sun as an example as it's the most popular tabloid. I'll bet you famous people most definately were fuckwits in the past, but evidence of their fuckwitiness was harder to produce than it is now. The majority of the population have a camera on them 24 hours a day these days. Any indiscretion is likely to be captured.

The Sun could have done us the favour equally as well if they'd sent the photo on to the police and not said a dickybird in the paper. Would they go round taking photos of nondescript smack rats shooting up then paste it all over the paper? The media coverage fuels his fire tbh. Take away the oxygen of publicity and he'll burn out soon enough.

However, so far as football goes, I think some of the journalists who write for the Times and the Guardian, most definitely don't have a clue about the game or what they are talking about.

130050[/snapback]

...and with respect to that, take a look at this.

You might be right about the Guardian, but The Times is well recognised for it's sport coverage. Though Giles Smith is an absoloute plank.

130037[/snapback]

130039[/snapback]

Basically, I don't feel the need to read the Guardian, or the Times, to portray myself as intelligent, do what you want. Looking down on people for being themselves does you no favours, in fact, quite the reverse. It just makes you look like a right nob. A journalist is a journalist too, they are just doing their jobs. However, so far as football goes, I think some of the journalists who write for the Times and the Guardian, most definitely don't have a clue about the game or what they are talking about.

130050[/snapback]

Woah, way to misconstrue.

I'm not saying Sun readers are thick. My Dad gets it for the racing page. Like you, I don't get a daily paper. I was using the Sun as an example as it's the most popular tabloid. I'll bet you famous people most definately were fuckwits in the past, but evidence of their fuckwitiness was harder to produce than it is now. The majority of the population have a camera on them 24 hours a day these days. Any indiscretion is likely to be captured.

The Sun could have done us the favour equally as well if they'd sent the photo on to the police and not said a dickybird in the paper. Would they go round taking photos of nondescript smack rats shooting up then paste it all over the paper? The media coverage fuels his fire tbh. Take away the oxygen of publicity and he'll burn out soon enough.

130054[/snapback]

OK I apologise if I got the wrong end of the stick, but it was just a general comment anyway not specific to you. Point taken, they could have gave it to the police. But I think its, well - sort of canny that the rest of the country knows, if its true. Whatever.

Blokes like him deserve public scorn and the certainty of a few good hidings if he goes down, whereas no one would know if it weren't publicised.

However, so far as football goes, I think some of the journalists who write for the Times and the Guardian, most definitely don't have a clue about the game or what they are talking about.

130050[/snapback]

...and with respect to that, take a look at this.

You might be right about the Guardian, but The Times is well recognised for it's sport coverage. Though Giles Smith is an absoloute plank.

130059[/snapback]

Well, I think Martin Samuel is an absolute plank too, he used to write for the News of the Screws, he was a plank there and he's also a plank on Jimmy Hills Sunday morning programme. So is Henry Winter, wherever he is these days.

No accounting for taste.

As a broadcaster, I wouldn't disagree with Jeff Stelling, he is top notch.

Edited by LeazesMag

got to say I don't read the Guardian, Independent or Times to seem intelligent, I read them because I prefer their content.

I get as pissed off with people stereotyping the Broadsheet readers as poncy, pretentious knobheads, as you do with condemning Sun readers as neanderthals.

The thing with Doherty is that his "talent" has been massively over-hyped, yet his debauchery massively outweighs what-ever talent he may have had.

and in anycase, why should talent permit acts of total idiocy. We should forgive his utter lack of respect for himself and oithers, simply because he can hum a bar or two?

(not directed at LM)

got to say I don't read the Guardian, Independent or Times to seem intelligent, I read them because I prefer their content.

I get as pissed off with people stereotyping the Broadsheet readers as poncy, pretentious knobheads, as you do with condemning Sun readers as neanderthals.

The thing with Doherty is that his "talent" has been massively over-hyped, yet his debauchery massively outweighs what-ever talent he may have had.

and in anycase, why should talent permit acts of total idiocy. We should forgive his utter lack of respect for himself and oithers, simply because he can hum a bar or two?

(not directed at LM)

130074[/snapback]

I understand what you say mate, and I agree

Apart from Doherty's "talent" or otherwise, as I'm not aware I've heard anything by him other than in a pub or somewhere

• 1 year later...
Singer Doherty is sent to prison

Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty has been jailed for 14 weeks for violating his probation and for using drugs.

Judge Davinder Lachar handed the musician the sentence at a court hearing in west London.

Doherty had been given a suspended jail sentence for possession of drugs and driving illegally in October last year.

His supervision order required him to make regular visits to court for progress reports, as well as take part in a drug rehabilitation programme.

The BBC's David Sillito said the singer had missed one appointment with his probation team and been late for another.

The punishment means Doherty has been forced to postpone a concert at the Royal Albert Hall in April.

The gig would have been his biggest solo show yet.

The show is due to be rescheduled and all tickets will be valid for the new date once it has been announced.

The star's record label said in a statement: "Peter was very much looking forward to the show and would like to offer his sincerest apologies to all his fans and to all those concerned."

Speaking to BBC 6 Music, Babyshambles drummer Adam Ficek said: "I feel gutted for him. Obviously he's going to find it really difficult in there but all I can say is that the band is going to stick with him as always."

He said they planned to continue writing and and making music with him and will get in touch with Doherty as soon they can.

"As far as I see it I hope we can really look positively on this and when he comes out he can learn from the mistakes he's made and we can persevere with the path that Babyshambles was treading before," added his bandmate.

Under current rules, the Doherty is likely to serve around a month of his sentence.

But if he spends the full 14 weeks in prison, he will miss a headlining slot on the Park stage at the Glastonbury Festival.

In the past the singer, who rose to fame after forming the Libertines in 1997, has admitted that staying off taking drugs was not easy.

Last November he admitted suffering a drug relapse and vowed to seek further to help him tackle his heroin addiction.

Doherty, who used to date model Kate Moss, has repeatedly appeared in court for various drug offences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7337212.stm

About fucking time.

Can someone tell me why Pete Doherty is hated so much?

Because he's a fucking prick ?

I was looking for a bit more than that, I dont really get into the whole tabolid celeb life thing. I know he takes drugs, makes music (which I actually really like) and gets arrested for stupid things but I havent heard of anything he has done which makes him stand out more than your regular "off the rails" musician but he seems to get soo much stick.

Was just wondering if I had missed something?

I was looking for a bit more than that, I dont really get into the whole tabolid celeb life thing. I know he takes drugs, makes music (which I actually really like) and gets arrested for stupid things but I havent heard of anything he has done which makes him stand out more than your regular "off the rails" musician but he seems to get soo much stick.

That's fine, your opinion of him is tainted by your affection for his music, my opinion of him is tainted by me finding him possibly the most repugnant little cretin I can think of.

I think I hate the beehive headed woman more like.

I think I hate the beehive headed woman more like.

No, No, No.

That's fine, your opinion of him is tainted by your affection for his music, my opinion of him is tainted by me finding him possibly the most repugnant little cretin I can think of.

But why do you think that? I admit I am more "on his side" because I like his music but then I know a lot of people who are much like him but dont have the media attention so don't get caught/get stuff made up doing what he apparently does. I know people who spend every weekend coked up out of their heads or are huge fans of certain rock stairs etc... famed for being in trouble all the time and hard drug use who absolutely slate Doherty and I wonder have I missed something? Or is it just the "media says boo" so everyone boo's pantomine?

It's the fact he looks an absolute cadaver. He staggers about producing half decent music, whilst being hailed as a hero and a genius etc. NME (among others) built a monster and now that monster is devouring kids with gay abandon. He's adored by the tabloids because idiots buy their papers to see which club he's fallen out of this time. If he couldn't write a tune he'd not have had these many chances. He's a drug addict and rather than get him clean the papers, the record label and his management are happy to ride his coat tails until he finally falls off the end of the world, at which point he'll be declared a messiah of music, his works will be resold and remarketed and we'll never be shot of the bedraggled pin cushion.

but mainly the cadaver bit.

Sorry but that post reads like the defence of Pete Doherty. You seem to be saying he is a lad who has fallen into drugs (not that uncommon with the money he makes and the company he keeps) and so has been lead by the media and even his own management to continue this road as it is better for them. Why hate Pete Doherty if this is the case? Surely he is the victim and its the media and his management who should be the subject of the vitirol that is normally directed at him?

Its not his fault he has been hailed a genius etc... and fair play to him if he has used this to further himself.

Edit: You can also blame the idiots that buy these tabloids and magazines then decide to believe everything they read about him :icon_lol:

Edited by Gejon