Owen out for 5 months

Ted Maul

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 months sounds wildly optimistic for this kind of injury. i think 7-9 months, or even a year at the worst is proably closer to the mark

151572[/snapback]

I'd agree with that - I think we're looking at about January or February at best....

Sounds like the souness out brigade is going to be renamed to owen out brigade, bunch miserable old bastards on both forums.

Its not his fault he's injured; lets just hope he makes fast recovery and dosn't miss to much off the season, and before some one pops in with the sarcastic one liner "Yeah then get injured again, great" I really dont think Roeder would ever play him too early and risk injuring him again.

One think i'm wishing for know is that we sign a quality striker one to lift the morale of the fans, as we all keep the faith in the club instead of tearing up our application forms saying stupid gay comments like were going to loose be relagated and all other shit.

Come on people, we did allright this season with out him, we can do it again

Newcastle 4 Eva!!! (Needs to be shouted in chavvy accent)

Edited by AgentFox

"I'm not that worried about it. We don't want any more injuries on strikers but I'm not worried," added Eriksson.

151556[/snapback]

Nice of you to say so, Sven. I wonder what fee Ecuador would get from the other FAs for including a clogger in their starting XI with the sole task of crippling Rooney...

having a go at owen over his injuries is out of order.

he's suffered a nightmare injury. i think it's unfair to question his commitment. he's always put in 100% for us whenever i've seen him in black and white. the lad is just unlucky.

Bloke at work is saying he was out at lunch and listened to an interview with one of the England physios who was saying that:

- there is ligament and cartilage damage

- reconstructive surgery is required

- he won't be available even to train for 6 months

:lol:

From .COM:

Cruciate agony for Owen

Breaking news: Owen's scan results reveal a cruciate ligament injury that will keep him out for up to five months.

Comment:

Typical Newcastle United. The fixtures aren't even out yet and we're already reeling from a massive hole in our already-depleted squad for next season.

The Cologne PA system played a version of "Go West" at the end of Tuesday's game, but another Pet Shop Boys track might have been more appropriate for the stricken Magpies striker: "What have I done to Deserve This?"

Ten starts and one sub appearance since his move to Tyneside are the bare stats, as a career interrupted by injury now looks possibly threatened by it.

Pre-Germany fan talk of Owen had been of the "what if he has a great tournament" variety - amid speculation that we could be tested by bids for a resurgent striker with a raised international profile.

Well, that's no longer a problem is it?

A quick recap on our striking options:

Alan Shearer: retired

Michael Owen: injured

Shola Ameobi: expected to have an operation on his hip - instead having injections. Have we not been here before?

Albert Luque: a big, big ask on his form, attitude and fitness to date.

Michael Chopra: not good enough, gone.

Carl Finnigan: unproven

The pursuit of Fulham's Malbranque will doubtless become ever more desperate, with other clubs hovering.

But can we now afford to let Milner leave, given that he's at least theoretically able to play through the middle in a forward role?

He certainly has a better claim to do so than both Luque and Dyer.

However keeping the former Leeds man cuts off what looked our main potential source of incoming transfer funds, given the buttons we got for Bowyer and similar low expected return on Butt.

Other candidates will now doubtless emerge by the dozen, with the Defoes and Bents of this world being re-priced now our plight is all-too evident.

And inevitably the less-enticing prospect of picking up old lags like Hasselbaink will be advanced by agents and fixers - is Duncan Ferguson doing owt?

having a go at owen over his injuries is out of order.

he's suffered a nightmare injury. i think it's unfair to question his commitment. he's always put in 100% for us whenever i've seen him in black and white. the lad is just unlucky.

151583[/snapback]

You're right it's wrong to have a go at him personally for his injuries, something I have done and which I apologise for. However, you have to question the logic of signing a player who is injury prone with money we can't really afford. I know his previous set backs have been fairly minor, but the fact is he has a poor injury record overall and consequently has never scored 20 league goals in a season.

We put all our eggs in one basket and bought a trophy player, partly to appease the fans into renewing season tickets, although I agree we were desperate for a striker. Now we are paying the price.

Now, what happens if he never really recovers? Similar injuries have happened to Shearer and Van Horsehead, but they have more to their game than Owen and didn't rely on pace as much. Worst case scenario is we're kissing good bye to the thick end of £25M.

i think it's unfair to question his commitment. he's always put in 100% for us whenever i've seen him in black and white. the lad is just unlucky.

151583[/snapback]

Why then was he fit to come on against Brum then not be seen again for the rest of the season when he felt a dull pain he was told was normal? Why didn't he play against Chelsea when Sven said he was fit to do so? To say he shows as much commitment to Newcastle as he does England is laughable.

i think it's unfair to question his commitment. he's always put in 100% for us whenever i've seen him in black and white. the lad is just unlucky.

151583[/snapback]

Why then was he fit to come on against Brum then not be seen again for the rest of the season when he felt a dull pain he was told was normal? Why didn't he play against Chelsea when Sven said he was fit to do so? To say he shows as much commitment to Newcastle as he does England is laughable.

151617[/snapback]

Erm, perhaps because Roeder decided not to pick him? :lol:

Fuck's sake, Rooney was available and wanted to play against Paraguay by all accounts but Sven didn't pick him - should we question his commitment as well? :D

Why would Roeder not pick him? He was fit to play but didn't even make the bench. When faced with putting out a front pairing of Chopra and Ameobi against the league's meanest defence do you honestly believe it was Roeder's decision not to play him?

Owen's primary concerns have always been about England. I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's speculation, but I think he avoided playing for us at the end of the season in an attempt to avoid injury. It's that attitude I'm less than impressed with.

151583[/snapback]

151617[/snapback]

that's pure speculation. you have no idea who said what and how owen reacted as you weren't there.

all this club v country shite is generated on message boards. no one knows for sure how owen feels about playing for us.

i'd rather base my judgement of owen's commitment to nufc on his performances on the pitch. he's had dreadful luck with injuries but i've never seen him put less than 100% for us on the pitch - that's what matters, not idle web gossip.

whenever he's played for us, he's looked the part. it's just a shme we've seen so little of him in a black and white shirt.

he's just suffered a massive - and possibly career threatening - injury. i don't see how this is the time to question his commitment to nufc. i'm sure owen would rather be fit and playing for us next season than sat on the sidelines for the best part of a year.

Why would Roeder not pick him? He was fit to play but didn't even make the bench. When faced with putting out a front pairing of Chopra and Ameobi against the league's meanest defence do you honestly believe it was Roeder's decision not to play him?

151623[/snapback]

As Roeder was the manager it was his decision not to play him. And if he'd come off against Brum feeling fine then you'd perhaps have a point.

Getting a bit fucked off with hearing people questioning Owen's commitment to NUFC. He's suffered two horrific injuries during his time with us and when he has been available and 100% fit, he's given his all to the cause.

151583[/snapback]

151617[/snapback]

that's pure speculation. you have no idea who said what and how owen reacted as you weren't there.

151633[/snapback]

Its not speculation, Owen has said the pain was normal and there were no other problems and Sven has said that Owen was fit to play against Chelsea, those are the facts.

Owen's primary concerns have always been about England. I don't see how anyone can deny that. It's speculation, but I think he avoided playing for us at the end of the season in an attempt to avoid injury. It's that attitude I'm less than impressed with.

151626[/snapback]

you're right. that is 100% speculation. you're putting two and two together with no evidence to back up your views

If it's his anterior cruciate then he'll probably need reconstructive surgery and full recovery at Premiership level would probably be 9 months to a year, but full and absolute recovery is rare in those cased. A better (!) scenario is if he's torn some meniscus or something but we won't know til the scan results are revealed.

151626[/snapback]

you're right. that is 100% speculation. you're putting two and two together with no evidence to back up your views

151638[/snapback]

Ok then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...and/4962212.stm

But the club medics have played it down and he told the Times: "It is a relief. I've been told it's normal to feel pain."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...and/4752845.stm

"Michael could have played on Sunday,"

"Knowing Michael Owen, he will be thinking about the World Cup and wanting to take part in it."

151583[/snapback]

151617[/snapback]

151633[/snapback]

Its not speculation, Owen has said the pain was normal and there were no other problems and Sven has said that Owen was fit to play against Chelsea, those are the facts.

151637[/snapback]

owen said he was fit to play against chelsea and refused? i must have missed that one like. can you provide a link?

owen said he was fit to play against chelsea and refused? i must have missed that one like. can you provide a link?

151651[/snapback]

Look at my above post, Eriksson said he was fit to play but whatever reason he didn't even make the bench.

All the evidence suggests that an injured Michael Owen is less likely to play for the Toon than he is to play for England. And you can make of that what you will. When he has played for the Toon though his committment on the pitch has always been total.