Newcastle in talks over possible takeover

Paul

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name me a rubbish team that produces big profits.

There's only one way to cash in on football- win.

181312[/snapback]

Exactly. It's not like this lot are going to turn up, double the ticket prices and just sit back and reap the rewards, because people will just stop going if there's no perceived improvement in the team.

I'm sceptical about it, and I will be until this lot show their true intentions. If they want to take us over, and put some money into the club - fine.

But waht I fear is that they're only in it to make money out of the club and the football and the fans will come second to that.

For all his faults, at least Shepherd's intentions are right. My feelings right now. Better the devil you know.

For all his faults, at least Shepherd's intentions are right.

181326[/snapback]

There is no way Shepherd thinks of NUFC before that big, fat dividend he takes out each year.

I've really lost the little faith i've had in Freddy recently and I certainly wouldn't be sad to see Belgravia come in. Like Matt said, the only way to make any profit in football is to win. A potential investor wouldn't come in and cripple the club, it wouldn't make sense financially.

Edited by Ted Maul

Aye, formal bid expected this week apparently. Interesting times ahead. I'd like to hear some sort of announcement from the group of their intentions like (not that they're going to confess if they've got dastardly plans!), but this could definitely be a good thing if they've got £50m or whatever set aside for players.

I don't see us getting back into the top 4 any time soon without that sort of cash injection.

Edited by Gemmill

I read somewhere over the weekend that our market valuation was £82m...

I thought we'd be worth more than only £20m more than Villa tbh.

181661[/snapback]

We would be if we didn't have so much debt. Don't think Villa are too badly off for debt.

LONDON (Reuters) - Investment firm Belgravia Group said on Monday it was considering buying Newcastle United Plc, sending shares in the football club up more than 11 percent.

The statement from the Belgravia Group, based in the island of Jersey, follows recent newspaper reports that Belgravia had approached the Tyneside club and initial discussions had already taken place.

Belgravia's interest comes a week after Newcastle's Premier League rivals Aston Villa agreed to a 62.6 million pound cash takeover by a group led by U.S. billionaire Randy Lerner.

"The Belgravia Group confirms that it is examining the potential opportunity of acquiring Newcastle United Plc, which may or may not lead to an offer for the company being made by Belgravia," it said in a statement.

Shares in Newcastle United jumped 11.5 percent to 69.6 pence a share, valuing the company at close to 96 million pounds.

Belgravia's businesses include an "affinity marketing" consultancy, which helps clients such as Everton, Arsenal, and Mastercard develop products such as football-club-branded credit cards.

Its other interests include telecommunications and media, construction and hospitality, and aviation.

A Belgravia spokesman said it was in "the very, very early stages of discussions". He said the group, chaired by Duncan Hickman, had about $2 billion (1.1 billion pounds) of assets, mainly in its Belgravia Asset Management division.

Newcastle United declined to comment.

So, the club is valued around 96 million and with it being in the early stages of discussion, it wont effect any transfer dealings.

181661[/snapback]

We would be if we didn't have so much debt. Don't think Villa are too badly off for debt.

181665[/snapback]

Even with the debt we're worth 8.2 Sunderlands :lol:

181661[/snapback]

181665[/snapback]

Does that count though?

One of the Chelsea fans I work with says CFC was sold for £80m but that Abramovich also took on the £200m+ debts that the club have.

When we talk about 'market value' do we simply mean the value of the business or how much in the black they are?

181661[/snapback]

181665[/snapback]

Does that count though?

One of the Chelsea fans I work with says CFC was sold for £80m but that Abramovich also took on the £200m+ debts that the club have.

When we talk about 'market value' do we simply mean the value of the business or how much in the black they are?

181948[/snapback]

I'm no expert but I assumed it was assets minus debts.

Edited by alex

Any Venture Capitalist is aiming to make a zillion in 3-5 years

Buying NUFC for £ 100 million means they want to sell it for £ 200 million

The return on investment of the divis - around £ 10 million a year - is peanuts to these guys - they can make that by lending the £££ to a bank

To resell a football club you have to improve its performance - Yurop, top 4 sort of thing so they HAVE to invest

It's not as simple as just assets minus debts, but yes, both are taken into account when valuing a business. Not sure what Abramovich did with Chelsea's debts, because he's so mentally loaded, but when valuing a company you have to take their debts into consideration.

Even better news if it's some rich geezer from Dubai.  As long as he doesn't try to pick the team or who we sign, I'd gladly take his money for players off his hands.

181975[/snapback]

He'll have a nightmare traveliing back and forth tbh. hope he's not a scruff.

He took them all on - they were within 2 weeks of going bust and he took it all on

181957[/snapback]

Tis totally true apparently...

They were all set to accept a £10m offer for John Terry as well if rumour is right :lol:

He took them all on - they were within 2 weeks of going bust and he took it all on

181957[/snapback]

Tis totally true apparently...

They were all set to accept a £10m offer for John Terry as well if rumour is right :lol:

181979[/snapback]

From us.