Player ratings vs West Ham

Isegrim

Given - 7: Normal standard, wasn't really caught into action. His distribution from kicks is still shit. Really unlucky to get injured in an incident that should never have happed due Harewood being offside. My diagnosis is some broken ribs with maybe further injuries.

Carr - 7: Good game. As well at the back as going forward. Could have done better in two occasions when he popped up in the box.

Babayaro - 6: In fairness, he is at least a real left back. Some shaky moments when he lost the ball easiliy

Moore - 7: Decent performance. I like it that he more or less never hoofs the ball. Some dodgy fouls in stupid positions. At least talks to his team mates and tries to organise the back four.

Ramage - 7: Solid performance you expect from your centre half. Much more comfortable than at left back.

Milner- 7: Lively, causing West Ham some problems down the wing.

Duff - 8: Same as Milner, just that he scored.

Emre - 7: Hard working, getting stuck in a lot, also trying to get the strikers into position. Unlucky with some efforts.

Parker - 6: His worst game for some time. Hard working, giving the defence the protection. Lucky not to get sent off. Three bookable offences, he only got a yellow card for the least bookable one.

Ameobi - 6: Battled hard. Not really a thread except of few occasions, but giving defenders some work,

Martins - 9:My man of the match. Looking good throughout the whole game. Keeping the possesion to set up Martin by showing strength and keeping track of the game. The well taken goal was the icing on the cake. Probably profiting by not getting marked as tight as by Mellberg and Knight. I am really pleased today. More of it!!!

Subs: Sibierski - 5: Nothing to do, but was at least winding up West Ham.

Harper - 6: Called into action late and being reliable.

Butt - 5: Too late to say anything.

Others:

Bramble - 10: Perfect distibution by absense. No heart-shocking moments in defence because of the lack of concentration. Far less aimless long balls. More of it, please.

Edited by Isegrim

Others:

Bramble - 10: Perfect distibution by absense. No heart-shocking moments in defence because of the lack of concentration. Far less aimless long balls. More of it, please.

TBH Rambo belted a few aimless balls in the first half.

Anyhoo, i thought Emre was excellent today.

Isegrim, you were one of Moore's biggest critics when he played in Germany. Just wondering what's changed? I think he probably is our best centre half, one of Souness' best signings IMO.

I've no problems in saying that he more than pleasently surprised me and that I was wrong. In Germany he started actually quite well with a couple of decent performances, but then got worse with every game. Here (i.e. there as I am still in England) he got soon found out and was struggling against pacey and skillful strikers against which he looked helpless and could just resort to kicking after them. For Newcastle he looked far more than a proper football player and I actually do like how he tries to talk to his fellow defenders and tries to put them into place (especially Carr). Looking at the money he really looks a good buy, although I still think there are far better central defenders out in the world of football (but not at the club).

Guest Patrokles

Great to see Martins getting a goal!

Amazed to read Bramble played well though :lol:

An unexpected win surely?

Some of us knew that it'd all click some time soon. :D

Given - 7 Some shocking kicks but some good throws

Baba - 8 Was great in the air and at covering the CB's when they were pulled right to cover Carr. Handled Tevez well.

Carr - 7 Some good interceptions, couple of good runs, was helped by the fact that Etherington was shite. Not so great with the ball though.

Moore - 8 Good positionally, had to foul when he had to foul.

Ramage - 7 Pleasantly surprised, made good decisions mostly, again helped by questionable West Ham forward play.

Milner - 7 Worked so hard, always trying to produce, some great covering for Carr, more end product and he'll be good.

Duff - 7 Scored but otherwise wasn't so threatening, didn't fancy taking Mears on that often, intellingent play though and helped out Baba.

Parker - 8 Covered a lot of ground, closed everyone down, tried to be always available for a pass, always looking to nick the ball.

Emre - 9 Worked incredibly hard and passed the ball well. Made a good partnership with Parker, always close by each other to help out with tackling or receive a pass.

Ameobi - 6 Tried to win some balls in the air otherwise wasn't much of a threat.

Martins - 7 Got better after we scored, as the game wore on and it opened up a bit he got more space and looked more dangerous. Truly an amazing leap on that little guy!

Sibierski - 5

Harper - Don't know

Butt - Too late for impact.

In the 1st half WH strikers used the channels well and i could see we just didn't do that which is odd. Both Martins and Shola should work the channels well with their abilities and both Duff and Milner should be able to cut in and fill in the striker roles.

We won this game because Parker and especially Emre ran the midfield making Reo-Coker anonymous and making Machereno look a shadow of his FM2006 namesake :lol:

Given - 5 - didn't have much to do, his distribution was really poor though.

Baba - 5- Didn't overlap, again his distribution was all over the place. Wasn't really tested by their wide players.

Ramage - 7 - First time he's actually impressed me, probably not a coincidence that it was in his favoured position. Some very good interceptions in the first half, and tried to lead the line as well.

Moore - 7- Solid and didn't do much wrong apart from a couple of aim-less long balls.

Carr - 6 - Looks slow and unfit, but an excellent clearance when he had to come across to the middle to cover.

Milner & Duff - 7 - Both worked hard, although Duff was a bit too quiet at times. I'd have put N'Zogbia on with 20 to go. Neither seemed to be able to beat their man though. A lot of going down the wing, checking back and crossing from a deep position.

Parker - 7 - a bit too aggresive, lucky to stay on the pitch, but apart from that his contribution defensively was excellent.

Emre - 6 - important in the second goal build up, but drifted out of the game for periods, especially in the first half, where I thought he was poor. Picked up in the second half though - as did the whole team really.

Ameobi - 6 - worked hard, but don't see evidence of a good partnership with Martins.

Martins - 7 - Some decent link-play, especially in the second half where he came to life quite a bit. Should have scored in the first half, the angle didn't seem half as bad on the telly as it did at the time. Failed to get into the box a couple of times when we were breaking quickly in the first half.

Am happy to read the players scoring as I did not see the match but can anyone tell me what martins goal was like ???

Bowyer bundles into Gabbidon with the ball about 25 yards from their goal, Martins picks up the loose ball, takes it forward about 10 yards and puts it into the bottom left corner while one-on-one with the keeper. And then runs to celebrate infront of the West Ham fans. :lol:

Am happy to read the players scoring as I did not see the match but can anyone tell me what martins goal was like ???

Bowyer bundles into Gabbidon with the ball about 25 yards from their goal, Martins picks up the loose ball, takes it forward about 10 yards and puts it into the bottom left corner while one-on-one with the keeper. And then runs to celebrate infront of the West Ham fans. :D

:lol: thanks...

Thought Shola had a good game yesterday. He's outmuscling defenders and staying on his feet in a way that we haven't really seen from him much before this season. I think it's really made a difference to him being the big man up front since Shearer's gone.

The bloke on the radio was saying that he looks like he's been in the gym all summer bulking up because he's much bigger than he looked last season. Good on him.

moore makes up for his lack of pace with his positional sense. i like the way he looks calm in possesion and looks to play it simple to feet rather than hoofing it 50 yards up the pitch.

i wasn't convinced when we signed him but fair play to souness. at least he signed one half decent defender.

Thought Shola had a good game yesterday. He's outmuscling defenders and staying on his feet in a way that we haven't really seen from him much before this season. I think it's really made a difference to him being the big man up front since Shearer's gone.

The bloke on the radio was saying that he looks like he's been in the gym all summer bulking up because he's much bigger than he looked last season. Good on him.

Aye, I was saying to the girlfriend during the match how big his shoulders looked.

"OOOooo, girlfriend doesn't he have manly shoulders!" :lol:

Bowyer bundles into Gabbidon with the ball about 25 yards from their goal, Martins picks up the loose ball, takes it forward about 10 yards and puts it into the bottom left corner while one-on-one with the keeper. And then runs to celebrate infront of the West Ham fans. :lol:

Nice assist by Bowyer :lol:

Did Oba do his special celebration yesterday?

West Ham vs Newcastle Goals

Edited by janu