Parents (or youngens) do you smack

bobbyshinton

What you can say is that somebody with no kids cannot categorically state they will never smack their kids until they have them for a few years and see exactly how they handle the situation, because they may end up doing somethign they thought they wouldn't.

You have got this the wrong way round as far as I am concerned. I always thought that smacking was OK until I smacked my own kid. As soon as I did it I realised that hitting someone that small is just plain wrong

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you can say is that somebody with no kids cannot categorically state they will never smack their kids until they have them for a few years and see exactly how they handle the situation, because they may end up doing somethign they thought they wouldn't.

You have got this the wrong way round as far as I am concerned. I always thought that smacking was OK until I smacked my own kid. As soon as I did it I realised that hitting someone that small is just plain wrong

It goes both ways, you think you won't and do, you think you will and don't. I only used the former as this was what Wacky and Bridget had been arguing that he's saying she can't categorically say she won't smack them until she's had them for a few years and proves it.

But even then, people are entitled to say they won't and mean it to be honest, just because they haven't yet proven it doesn't mean you can say they will change their minds.

Anyway its all irrellivent to me and always will be!

It goes both ways, you think you won't and do, you think you will and don't. I only used the former as this was what Wacky and Bridget had been arguing that he's saying she can't categorically say she won't smack them until she's had them for a few years and proves it.

But even then, people are entitled to say they won't and mean it to be honest, just because they haven't yet proven it doesn't mean you can say they will change their minds.

I think Bridget is well within her rights to say smacking is wrong. Wether she does it or not is irrelevant to the moral judgement

I think Bridget is well within her rights to say smacking is wrong. Wether she does it or not is irrelevant to the moral judgement

I don't know why you're arguing that with me, i said people who aren't parents are right to have views on whether you should/shouldn't smack kids, i was against people sayign you can't have a view until you have kids. I had my own view on it being right/wrong and stated that, so i wasn't likely to say other people couldn't!

True, the extension into the court room of the notion of only judging by experience could make for an interesting legal system. :good:

Mother has rattled me a few times as a kid, just on the leg like. Done the trick, but I don't think it was the best way to go about it. Some people just command respect and it's hard tp pin point what it is.

My Dad never hit me, but I always remember being absolutely shit scared, way more than my mother, if he found out about me stepping out of line, and would always be on best behaviour!

My mother used to do exactly what billy connolly talked about on one of his dvds - ie hitting the bairn in time with your speech.

Dont *whack* ever *slap* do *whack* that *smack* again *whack* :good:

I smacked my kids who are now 19 and 22, I only ever did it once, and yes I felt bad after I'd done it BUT I've never needed to do it again.

Mind you when I was a kid anyone could give you a smack, teachers and especially the polis - shame that all stopped, wouldn't be half the shite hanging around street corners now.

My parents never smacked me when I was a kid. If I did something wrong, I was punished - sent to my room, not allowed to watch a programme I wanted to watch on TV, no pocket money that week etc. I think I turned out OK. I never went off the rails or ran riot or anything. You don't HAVE to smack kids if they've done something wrong. Or at least, not all kids have to be smacked.

I'm not going to criticise people for smacking their kids, because I'm not a parent so I don't know. I'd like to think that, like my parents, I wouldn't have to smack my kids, if I have any, but maybe I'll find that way works best. I think as long as kids are only smacked when they've done something wrong - that the kids themselves know is wrong, that's OK. What I don't like is when you see charvers hitting their kids for nowt, or hitting really young kids for something they don't understand is wrong and scream and swear at them.