Ugly Scenes in the Tunnel

Gemmill

This was the average positions over the last 7 years up until 2005, since the 1998 Cup Final. It needs updating but as we finished a lot higher than Villa last season we are now clear of them. If you take the 2 previous years, we are also higher than them.

Team total lge position / average lge position

1. Arsenal 12 / 1.7

2. Man U 13 / 1.8

3. Chelsea 27 / 3.8

4. Liverpool 30 / 4.4

5. Villa 62 / 8.7

Newcastle 61 / 8.7

7. Leeds 70 / 10.0

8. Spurs 75 / 10.7

9. Smoggies 76 / 10.8

10.Everton 87 / 12.4

Nice to see you respond to my point about Beardsley waving to the Kop as a Newcastle player .......

I also think that it is fairly obvious that only the top 4 clubs have qualified for europe more than us during this time. Spurs for instance have only just qualified for the first time for years.

And yes, I agree PB and CB are/were both great players for the club, that is all I have ever said about Bellamy because it is all that matters to me.

Sorry, but that has us joint 5th with Villa discounting last season, doesn't it? Is that the same Villa whose chairman you would point to last season and say "Things could be worse. We could have Doug Ellis!" Oh dear! :good:

The same Doug Ellis that the Villa fans are fucking ECSTATIC to have finally got rid of? Do you see now how your stupid way of calculating things is shite? It puts us on a par with Aston Villa ffs. A club that NO ONE would describe as successful in recent years.

Your argument is in tatters. :D

Oi Leazes, a response to this please. Seems to me that your ENTIRE argument about how good Shepherd is has come crashing down on you. :no

I thought you did figures ?

Do those figures show only 4 clubs are above us in the last decade or not :D

The other FACT is that pre-1992 there were anywhere 12 - 20 clubs above us, and we have qualified for europe more in the past decade than in the previous 30 years. No tatters, there Gem mate...just your accountancy qualifications and reading ability ... :icon_lol:

Respond to the point I made re Aston Villa and your constant references to Doug Ellis as an example of how bad things could be. Turns out that's how bad things HAVE been all along.

Come on, you can do it. Actually respond to something that someone has put to you.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the article, but I remember that there were a lot of people who agreed with Souness when he said that Bellamy was not good enough as a striker, which is ridiculous IMO. Shit person, yes - but a very, very good striker nevertheless. I still think the amount of people who fell for Souness' and the club's propaganda was embarrassing. Having said that, this debate has been going on for way too long already and surely it's time to move on now.

51 goals in the top flight by the age of 27 is evidence that he is a top striker ? Good player but he hasnt averaged 10 a season in the premiership yet. Watching him for newcastle confirmed he isnt a natural striker in the goalscoring sense. He has had one decent season in front of goal and that was it. Good player but not to be rated in the pantheon of strikers with that rate.

Falling for the clubs propaganda is one thing. Condoning what the little prick did is quite another. Personally i still cant understand anyone backing him. Plenty of mugs do though.

I would happily tolerate that shite from Keane or Shearer or Beardsley or Gazza cos they are leagues better as players. Letting a good but far from great player get away with that sells us short in my view.

i rate our club higher than having to permit his nonsense. Yes we would be better with him in the team but there is so much more to it thatn that.

It was a good article by the way.

How many games in the top flight ?

How many games when he was fit ?

You are aware he played over 50 games for Newcastle between being injured at the SOS Feb 2002 until August 2004 with a knee which caused him pain and any knock on it oould have finished his career ? How many players do you think would do that ?

And STILL be the clubs most effective forward, prolonging Shearers career by a few years ?

Gazza he is not, but there are also not too many Gazzas knocking around .....

You seriously understimate his worth to Newcastle mate, proven by the money we have spent attempting to replace him, which we still have not done.

So by the age of 27 50 goals in the big league is acceptable? As long as your injured?

for a bloke who is apparently a great striker

We could say he isnt a player who is a striker but the total is paltry.

The most effective forward is the one who can score 200 goals in 10 years despite being injured for prolonged periods and us haing seen him for about 6 months in his prime. People like that are great players

Bellamy is a good player. No better and no worse. Miles away from the Beardsley standard never mind Gazza.

..and that is without calling us a 'circus' and showing his love by waving another teams badge in front of us.

Perhaps people were wrong when they suggested he loved the club. I certainly wouldnt have done it. Would you?

who said he is a goalscorer ? Not me. He's a support striker, and a class one.

If you are going to say "20 goals a season" tell me how many players score 20 goals a season, and how many teams have 2 players that do this.

He was Shearers partner. It's all about team play and pattern. This is what he is. He isn't Shearer or Owen, he's an out and out goalscorers partner. He has scored a rough average of one in about 3, which is quite good but you don't measure players of that type in terms of a goalscoring statistic.

Have we replaced him, or not ? And how much have we spent attempting to do it ?

I don't know what your problem is with a Liverpool player kissing the badge of the club he plays for, its a shame Beardsley didn't do that instead of effectively kissing the other teams badge.

And you still don't give him credit for giving everything for the club despite having an injury, and you ought to do, considering the amount of wastes of fooking space we have had over the years.

:good: It was kissing that badge uin front of out fans. Does that show love? If it had been the situation where Alan Shearer ran to the Blackburn fans at the Gallowgate celebrating then fair enough. It was very very different. For a start he wasnt the one who scored (unsurprisingly) and he didnt need to provoke them did he?

You think he showed his love for the team kissing their badge in front of our fans? Tell you what, wait until he comes back to SJP and see how many show their appreciation then. He will get worse than Andy Cole who did more for this club and in my view was a better player (and getting a roar when he scored against Villa to break the record from the crowd unlike anything I have heard until Shearer broke his record ).

Neither will be welcomed back. One won all sorts and carried on scoring - unfortunately he proved himself short of greatness when played alongside players like Keane and Giggs and Cantona who truly were great.

I measure ability relative to what that player is capable of. He gave it all but he temperament was nowhere near right. Freddie gave him his final warning before Souness so that gives you an indication. Fred, as you note, doesnt like getting involved in team affairs. He had to get on CB's case several times.

He appears to have learned a little from it but nowhere near enough. If he had then the incident he provoked at Anfield in front of the fans and Terry Mac wouldnt have occured. Both were his choice.

He wasnt and never will be in the PB class, he is different to MO and AS too in terms of where he plays but even in their position all 3 are a class above in ability terms and a league apart in how they handle themselves on and off the pitch.

If he had the ability of someone like Keane or Cantona (to draw parallels whith players who got away with things they shouldnt have) then I would be far more willing to forgive and forget. He is lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as all but one of the players I have mentioned.

I suspect he will be injured when Liverpool arrive. We havent replaced him but many saw through him well before he left. Freddie Shpeherd for one.

I agree with the article, but I remember that there were a lot of people who agreed with Souness when he said that Bellamy was not good enough as a striker, which is ridiculous IMO. Shit person, yes - but a very, very good striker nevertheless. I still think the amount of people who fell for Souness' and the club's propaganda was embarrassing. Having said that, this debate has been going on for way too long already and surely it's time to move on now.

51 goals in the top flight by the age of 27 is evidence that he is a top striker ? Good player but he hasnt averaged 10 a season in the premiership yet. Watching him for newcastle confirmed he isnt a natural striker in the goalscoring sense. He has had one decent season in front of goal and that was it. Good player but not to be rated in the pantheon of strikers with that rate.

Falling for the clubs propaganda is one thing. Condoning what the little prick did is quite another. Personally i still cant understand anyone backing him. Plenty of mugs do though.

I would happily tolerate that shite from Keane or Shearer or Beardsley or Gazza cos they are leagues better as players. Letting a good but far from great player get away with that sells us short in my view.

i rate our club higher than having to permit his nonsense. Yes we would be better with him in the team but there is so much more to it thatn that.

You are aware he played over 50 games for Newcastle between being injured at the SOS Feb 2002 until August 2004 with a knee which caused him pain and any knock on it oould have finished his career ? How many players do you think would do that ?

And STILL be the clubs most effective forward, prolonging Shearers career by a few years ?

You seriously understimate his worth to Newcastle mate, proven by the money we have spent attempting to replace him, which we still have not done.

So by the age of 27 50 goals in the big league is acceptable? As long as your injured?

The most effective forward is the one who can score 200 goals in 10 years despite being injured for prolonged periods and us haing seen him for about 6 months in his prime. People like that are great players

Bellamy is a good player. No better and no worse. Miles away from the Beardsley standard never mind Gazza.

..and that is without calling us a 'circus' and showing his love by waving another teams badge in front of us.

Perhaps people were wrong when they suggested he loved the club. I certainly wouldnt have done it. Would you?

If you are going to say "20 goals a season" tell me how many players score 20 goals a season, and how many teams have 2 players that do this.

He was Shearers partner. It's all about team play and pattern. This is what he is. He isn't Shearer or Owen, he's an out and out goalscorers partner. He has scored a rough average of one in about 3, which is quite good but you don't measure players of that type in terms of a goalscoring statistic.

I don't know what your problem is with a Liverpool player kissing the badge of the club he plays for, its a shame Beardsley didn't do that instead of effectively kissing the other teams badge.

And you still don't give him credit for giving everything for the club despite having an injury, and you ought to do, considering the amount of wastes of fooking space we have had over the years.

:good: It was kissing that badge uin front of out fans. Does that show love? If it had been the situation where Alan Shearer ran to the Blackburn fans at the Gallowgate celebrating then fair enough. It was very very different. For a start he wasnt the one who scored (unsurprisingly) and he didnt need to provoke them did he?

You think he showed his love for the team kissing their badge in front of our fans? Tell you what, wait until he comes back to SJP and see how many show their appreciation then. He will get worse than Andy Cole who did more for this club and in my view was a better player (and getting a roar when he scored against Villa to break the record from the crowd unlike anything I have heard until Shearer broke his record ).

Neither will be welcomed back. One won all sorts and carried on scoring - unfortunately he proved himself short of greatness when played alongside players like Keane and Giggs and Cantona who truly were great.

I measure ability relative to what that player is capable of. He gave it all but he temperament was nowhere near right. Freddie gave him his final warning before Souness so that gives you an indication. Fred, as you note, doesnt like getting involved in team affairs. He had to get on CB's case several times.

He appears to have learned a little from it but nowhere near enough. If he had then the incident he provoked at Anfield in front of the fans and Terry Mac wouldnt have occured. Both were his choice.

He wasnt and never will be in the PB class, he is different to MO and AS too in terms of where he plays but even in their position all 3 are a class above in ability terms and a league apart in how they handle themselves on and off the pitch.

If he had the ability of someone like Keane or Cantona (to draw parallels whith players who got away with things they shouldnt have) then I would be far more willing to forgive and forget. He is lucky to be mentioned in the same breath as all but one of the players I have mentioned.

I suspect he will be injured when Liverpool arrive. We havent replaced him but many saw through him well before he left. Freddie Shpeherd for one.

I still don't see what your problem is. He loved playing for Newcastle [even if he didn't its the PR thing to say and every player says it] but is now playing for the club he supported as a boy and the club he wanted to play for the most. What is wrong with that ?

I don't go with the idea that fans can bait players then complain when they have a go back, that is stupid and childish and shows up the fans for being morons. Fans should accept this, you shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it back.

And, I repeat, the notion that he wouldn't be forgiven if he ever came back is a no brainer. He would, it won't happen but this is an opinion based on the fact that Beardsley was, and a Newcastle player essentially lying to his own kind was forgiven.

Snubbing or mocking Newcastle fans playing for Liverpool --- or a geordie lad effectively snubbing and mocking Newcastle fans and the club, while playing for Newcastle ?

No contest.

Whether Bellamy, or Shepherd, are odious pricks doesn't matter. Bellamy did his stuff on the pitch, more than any other player at the club. Whether you like him or not - who cares ? There are always people you don't like in life. You would probably like Andreas Andersson, but who would you prefer to play for you ?

I still don't see what your problem is. He loved playing for Newcastle [even if he didn't its the PR thing to say and every player says it] but is now playing for the club he supported as a boy and the club he wanted to play for the most. What is wrong with that ?

I don't go with the idea that fans can bait players then complain when they have a go back, that is stupid and childish and shows up the fans for being morons. Fans should accept this, you shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it back.

And, I repeat, the notion that he wouldn't be forgiven if he ever came back is a no brainer. He would, it won't happen but this is an opinion based on the fact that Beardsley was, and a Newcastle player essentially lying to his own kind was forgiven.

Snubbing or mocking Newcastle fans playing for Liverpool --- or a geordie lad effectively snubbing and mocking Newcastle fans and the club, while playing for Newcastle ?

No contest.

Whether Bellamy, or Shepherd, are odious pricks doesn't matter. Bellamy did his stuff on the pitch, more than any other player at the club. Whether you like him or not - who cares ? There are always people you don't like in life. You would probably like Andreas Andersson, but who would you prefer to play for you ?

Peter Beardsley and Alan shearer if they were 15 years younger is the answer and ther eis as much chance of that happening as the liverpool badge kisser coming back.

Shearer still did more to get us into the champions league that Bellamy by the way.....goals dont score themselves. Bellamy did his bit but he certainly wasnt alone. Shearer hadnt had a good partner for years til he came. However he was still rattling in the goals when fit. Dont underestimate that.

Peter Beardsley will always be a significantly better player than that oik could ever be. Like comparing chalk and cheese.

One came back to a round of applause every time whatever shirt he wore. I was there. the other will never get that. there is a reason for that. I will be there.

:good: No answer to the Doug Ellis issue then Leazes. It won't go away if you ignore it you know? You've been talking shit and your argument is completely redundant. :D

I don't see where.

You've been talking shit for ages :no and don't answer my questions .....

Doug Ellis has been chairman of Villa since they won the European Cup, not THATs what I call going backwards ........

No contest.

Peter Beardsley and Alan shearer if they were 15 years younger is the answer and ther eis as much chance of that happening as the liverpool badge kisser coming back.

Shearer still did more to get us into the champions league that Bellamy by the way.....goals dont score themselves. Bellamy did his bit but he certainly wasnt alone. Shearer hadnt had a good partner for years til he came. However he was still rattling in the goals when fit. Dont underestimate that.

Peter Beardsley will always be a significantly better player than that oik could ever be. Like comparing chalk and cheese.

One came back to a round of applause every time whatever shirt he wore. I was there. the other will never get that. there is a reason for that. I will be there.

You are completely unable to accept that Beardsley did such a thing, this is why you fail to recognise the vast difference to what he did in comparison to Bellamy. Basically Bellamy responded to fans giving him the bird, while Beardsleys actions shamed Newcastle United and himself, as he was a Newcastle player and snubbed his own club and everything he stood for.

You also miss the point between Newcastle then and now, which is that Beardsley wanted to move because Newcastle were shit...and Shearer chose to stay because he at least thought he had a chance of winning a trophy or two, and qualifed regularly for europe to substantiate that hope into the bargain.

Beardsley's actions that day, were an absolute disgrace mate. You can't gloss over it, they were inexcusable.

Edited by LeazesMag

:good: No answer to the Doug Ellis issue then Leazes. It won't go away if you ignore it you know? You've been talking shit and your argument is completely redundant. :no

Don't worry Gemmill, you're not the only one that's noticed that the point you've been making is being completely ignored.

LM - responding with "well you ignore my questions" doesn't disprove the fact that your total argument about Ellis being far worse than Shepherd is complete rubbish! :D

You've been proven wrong - now be man enough to admit it! :D

No contest.

You are completely unable to accept that Beardsley did such a thing, this is why you fail to recognise the vast difference to what he did in comparison to Bellamy. Basically Bellamy responded to fans giving him the bird, while Beardsleys actions shamed Newcastle United and himself, as he was a Newcastle player and snubbed his own club and everything he stood for.

You also miss the point between Newcastle then and now, which is that Beardsley wanted to move because Newcastle were shit...and Shearer chose to stay because he at least thought he had a chance of winning a trophy or two, and qualifed regularly for europe to substantiate that hope into the bargain.

Beardsley's actions that day, were an absolute disgrace mate. You can't gloss over it, they were inexcusable.

Beardsley was a street ahead of Bellamy in every conceivable way.

We all know where Beardsleys heart is though. We know where Bellamy is too - himself.

You compared Bellamy to Beardsley and to be quite honest Bellamy couldnt kick his arse. If he tried to he would miss.

Bellamy will rightly never go down as a great NUFC player simply becasuse he isnt good enough to. Cole wasnt either but he was better than Bellamy. Beardsley is.

Answer this. Who would you have? Bellamy or Beardsley in their prime?

:good: No answer to the Doug Ellis issue then Leazes. It won't go away if you ignore it you know? You've been talking shit and your argument is completely redundant. :no

Don't worry Gemmill, you're not the only one that's noticed that the point you've been making is being completely ignored.

LM - responding with "well you ignore my questions" doesn't disprove the fact that your total argument about Ellis being far worse than Shepherd is complete rubbish! :D

Craig, firstly I will say I really don't give a flying fuck about Aston Villa.

Then I will say that Doug Ellis has been in charge of Villa for 26 years, since they won the European Cup, and the League Title the year before that.

If Shepherd and the current board had such a span and "went backwards" to the same degree then of course you could say they had had their time and failed.

1. Now - as you avoided my earlier question. Are we or are we not better off without Craig Bellamy in the team ,

2. And - do you still maintain that we were right to throw 50m quid at the scottish fuckpig to "build his own team then judge him" ?

Those questions are for BOTH you and Gemmill, as you have both said those things at the time.

And you BOTH avoided it earlier...

Edited by LeazesMag

No contest.

Beardsley was a street ahead of Bellamy in every conceivable way.

We all know where Beardsleys heart is though. We know where Bellamy is too - himself.

You compared Bellamy to Beardsley and to be quite honest Bellamy couldnt kick his arse. If he tried to he would miss.

Bellamy will rightly never go down as a great NUFC player simply becasuse he isnt good enough to. Cole wasnt either but he was better than Bellamy. Beardsley is.

Answer this. Who would you have? Bellamy or Beardsley in their prime?

I think that Beardsleys heart was very much in Liverpool that day too mate, and unlike Bellamy, he was actually a geordie lad wearing a Newcastle shirt.

I understand he may have a "hero" status in your eyes, but this happened and its a fact.

A :Liverpool player taking the piss out of Newcastle fans for being baited, or a geordie born Newcastle player taking the piss out of Newcastle fans for chanting his name ????

And you are disputing it !!!!!!!!!

Edited by LeazesMag

Anyone else remember recently when Gemmill made fun of someone (Renton I think) for being so stupid as to argue with Leazes? :good:

you have nothing to add either I take it ?

Or are you also going to say that a geordie born Newcastle player waving to Liverpool fans knowing he was about to move there, while wearing a newcastle shirt, is alright ?

I also take it the reason why this geordie born Newcastle player wanted to leave the club, is lost on you as well .... :D

Anyone: 'Newcastle's board is shit'

Leazes: '5th best etc, would you rather have Doug Ellis? Look how bad things could be!'

Some time later...

Anyone: 'Newcastle's board is shit'

Leazes: '5th best etc, would you rather have Doug Ellis? Look how bad things could be!'

Anyone: 'But Doug Ellis has got Villa to the same 'average finish' as Shepherd has got us!'

Leazes: 'Craig Bellamy, ya ya ya'

:good:

Classic stuff.

What would you do if you found the missus in bed with Shepherd, Leazes? Let him off; at least she isn't pregnant?

Then I will say that Doug Ellis has been in charge of Villa for 26 years, since they won the European Cup, and the League Title the year before that.

If Shepherd and the current board had such a span and "went backwards" to the same degree then of course you could say they had had their time and failed.

1. Now - as you avoided my earlier question. Are we or are we not better off without Craig Bellamy in the team ,

2. And - do you still maintain that we were right to throw 50m quid at the scottish fuckpig to "build his own team then judge him" ?

Those questions are for BOTH you and Gemmill, as you have both said those things at the time.

"Fuck! They're right. I look like a complete tit and my argument is ruined. Quick! Think! What should I do! I know, I'll throw a couple of questions at them - er Craig Bellamy...blah blah blah....50m quid...blah blah."

By the way Leazes, I don't know how you DARE have a go at Aston Villa. They are the 5th best club in the country over the last 10 years and there are 87 other clubs who worse off than them. I love the way you've now had to modify your argument to "Errrrr...but Villa won the European Cup and now they haven't won it since. That means they've gone backwards". What an idiot.

I'll answer your stupid diversionary questions when you concede that Doug Ellis is as good a chairman as Freddy Shepherd because Villa were 5th best on average for the last decade, and there were 87 clubs worse off than them. :icon_lol:

LM - responding with "well you ignore my questions" doesn't disprove the fact that your total argument about Ellis being far worse than Shepherd is complete rubbish! :icon_lol:

I think you'll find that I've answered point no. 1 many, many times - still, don't let that little detail destroy your argument which has no substance, will you? :D

As for the second point, when have I ever said we were right to give Souness £50m? We had to give him money otherwise we'd have been stuck in another Ardiles situation whereby the manager is powerless to have any significant influence on the progression (whether it be positive or negative) of the team. In short, had we not given him the cash, you wouldn't have as much reason to criticise him.

But the figure of £50m? Sorry, but you can't blame either Gemmill or me for that one. Neither of us are in control of the SJP purse strings. For that little gem you can blame only one person......

Fat Frederick Shepherd! :no

:good: No answer to the Doug Ellis issue then Leazes. It won't go away if you ignore it you know? You've been talking shit and your argument is completely redundant. :D

LM - responding with "well you ignore my questions" doesn't disprove the fact that your total argument about Ellis being far worse than Shepherd is complete rubbish! :icon_lol:

You've been proven wrong - now be man enough to admit it! :no

"Fuck! They're right. I look like a complete tit and my argument is ruined. Quick! Think! What should I do! I know, I'll throw a couple of questions at them - er Craig Bellamy...blah blah blah....50m quid...blah blah."

By the way Leazes, I don't know how you DARE have a go at Aston Villa. They are the 5th best club in the country over the last 10 years and there are 87 other clubs who worse off than them. I love the way you've now had to modify your argument to "Errrrr...but Villa won the European Cup and now they haven't won it since. That means they've gone backwards". What an idiot.

I'll answer your stupid diversionary questions when you concede that Doug Ellis is as good a chairman as Freddy Shepherd because Villa were 5th best on average for the last decade, and there were 87 clubs worse off than them. :no

Cracking argument, isn't it? Because Villa achieved more than we have, then they're now worse off than us! Fuck me, forget Alistair Campbell (the tit who worked with Blair, NOT Ally who posts on here), we have our very own spin doctor right here! :D

:D No answer to the Doug Ellis issue then Leazes. It won't go away if you ignore it you know? You've been talking shit and your argument is completely redundant. :D

You've been proven wrong - now be man enough to admit it! :no

I'll answer your stupid diversionary questions when you concede that Doug Ellis is as good a chairman as Freddy Shepherd because Villa were 5th best on average for the last decade, and there were 87 clubs worse off than them. :no

Bump.

Just for Leazes when he recovers from the nervous breakdown he's suffered after realising that the entire premise for his pro-Shepherd argument has been dismantled. :good:

Erm....shit.........right.......I know.......are we or are we not better off without Craig Bellamy at the club? Ha! That'll fox them. They'll forget all about the fact that I've been talking out of my crevice for the best part of two or three years!

:good: