FAO Leazes Mag

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Well....crowds in the top flight were generally lower before sky gave football its lick of glossy paint , rebranded the package etc etc.....but it doesn't explain how Newcastle United were one of the top 6 supported clubs in the country - when we were in the top league :icon_lol: - yet spent years in the 2nd division, selling our best players, had a record transfer fee lower than clubs such as West Brom and West Ham [to name 2 off the top of my head without even thinking ] -- surely that tells you how much better the club is run these days ?

Why didn't the club build from a position of strength when we had a bigger crowd again and why didn't they build on finishing 5th in the 1st division in 1976, winning the Fairs Cup, and winning promotion in 1984 with 3 locally born England Players coming through the ranks ?

If you disagree, why do you think we sold our best players and spent all those years fighting relegation, in the 2nd division and selling our best players ?

How do you not recall the pre-1992 years anyway, serious question ?

I do recall the pre 92 years (although as I've said before I have the worlds worst football memory and cat remember a game I attended 2 weeks ago wooohooooo!!!!!) however I dont see them as being the thing, I agree with you anyone would appear better than McKeag and co but thats not the issue. You use 1992 as your argument, regardless of whatever role Fred had in those days he wasnt the chairman. The glory years we had at that time were not in his reign.

Going back to the "old days" football was a totally different kettle of chickens back then, it wasnt the big business it is now, as you yourself said it was the introduction of SKY that did it.

As for the attendances you seem to have missed the point I was making which was that, yes when we were in the 2nd division we had lower attendances but I bet they were higher than most if not all the other teams in that league and thats my point. Newcastle will have higher attendances than most clubs regardless of what happens, with or without Fred. He did not come along in 96 and suddenly have extra fans baying on the door as a consequence. If we had a 50k seater back in 92 then we would have filled it with or without Shepherd.

Which brings me back to Wigan, they didnt have the huge fanbase we had when Whelan took over and never will but he has built that club up, got the fans in there and took them forward and he alone, can take the credit for that. As for the others mentioned such as Madjeski I believe he also has proven himself as a chairman way more than Shepherd has for what he has done for Reading.

I am not disagreeing that Madejski and Whelan have done well for their clubs, they have both done brilliantly. But what they have done is appoint good managers ie Pardew at Reading, and Jewell at Wigan. Whelan is an ex player so will obviously have a football knowledge, but that is all they have done, they have appointed good managers. We did well when we appointed Bobby Robson. They have not had demands to buy big players, or build or maintain a bigger financial structure, and keep a far bigger support happy, like they would at Newcastle. These big jobs like ours stretches people to their limit, its the ultimate test and totally different. We probably will never find out though will we ?

As for Madejski, he likes being in the papers with Cilla Black - does that constitute a PR gaffe and an embarrassment ..... :o

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honestly unable to see the relation to the present in your last post, LM

eeerrr...sorry mate, if you look you will see that I was responding to PP bringing it up. And I think it is pretty clear.

And I have explained it before. If you don't understand the concept of showing how easily replacing the current board could backfire badly and NUFC are not immune to it then you need a reality check too, unfortunately. Just who exactly is these mystery backers who will have the good of the club at heart and guarantee to win the trophies we have a right to, will always appoint the "right" manager, always have a "plan" [we won't mention Bobby Robson staying 5 years, the youth scheme started by Dalglish which has hardly been a success and the revamped stadium and new training complex will we ?] and guarantee permanent european football to boot ?

Do you think the club should stick with Roeder to show they have a "plan" ? Or should they have stuck with Souness and the "plan" ? Serious question.

Wouldn't have had to hire either in the first place if they had a 'plan'.

what sort of "plan" are you talking about ? Is a 3 or 4 year contract not a "plan" ? What you are talking about is making a poor appointment, then having to sack him. This happens at all clubs. All managers are judged on results. They are all appointed with a hope they will do 5 years or more or whatever, but the vast majority don't. Bobby Robson did 5 years. So did Keegan. These weren't "plans", they were managers who got good results. If Shearer is really being earmarked as a manager in a year or two or earlier, is this a "plan" ? Yes or no ? And if he fucks up in his first 6 months and doesn't look like he is up to it, will you then say the club should stick to its "plan" or will you still be saying the club doesn't have one. It is highly amusing the people on here who trot out the same cliches, without having a mind of your own, fook knows why, because the absolute reality is that the manager himself determines the time he stays at a club and nothing else plays any part whatsoever.

I happens at Newcastle too much in recent years, Gullit was a mistake - Daglish died on his arse and sold a lot of good players. Robson - good call but sacked too late. Souness - Everybody could see it was going to end in tears. Roeder - Easy way out, fans ignored, easy way out of a difficult decision.

Shit board. Shit decisions.

I am pleased you think that appointing a manager who had won 4 championships, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards was a mistake. Perhaps you would like to explain your criteria for appointing managers ?

I take it another one who won the FA Cup with his first job, leaving his team in the last 16 of the European Cup and a Champions League spot in the league, is also a crap CV in your eyes ?

If not, then why are we the laughing stock of the premier league? :o

daft comment, not true and only said by bairns I'm afraid

Edited by LeazesMag

Well....crowds in the top flight were generally lower before sky gave football its lick of glossy paint , rebranded the package etc etc.....but it doesn't explain how Newcastle United were one of the top 6 supported clubs in the country - when we were in the top league B) - yet spent years in the 2nd division, selling our best players, had a record transfer fee lower than clubs such as West Brom and West Ham [to name 2 off the top of my head without even thinking ] -- surely that tells you how much better the club is run these days ?

Why didn't the club build from a position of strength when we had a bigger crowd again and why didn't they build on finishing 5th in the 1st division in 1976, winning the Fairs Cup, and winning promotion in 1984 with 3 locally born England Players coming through the ranks ?

If you disagree, why do you think we sold our best players and spent all those years fighting relegation, in the 2nd division and selling our best players ?

I do recall the pre 92 years (although as I've said before I have the worlds worst football memory and cat remember a game I attended 2 weeks ago wooohooooo!!!!!) however I dont see them as being the thing, I agree with you anyone would appear better than McKeag and co but thats not the issue. You use 1992 as your argument, regardless of whatever role Fred had in those days he wasnt the chairman. The glory years we had at that time were not in his reign.

Going back to the "old days" football was a totally different kettle of chickens back then, it wasnt the big business it is now, as you yourself said it was the introduction of SKY that did it.

As for the attendances you seem to have missed the point I was making which was that, yes when we were in the 2nd division we had lower attendances but I bet they were higher than most if not all the other teams in that league and thats my point. Newcastle will have higher attendances than most clubs regardless of what happens, with or without Fred. He did not come along in 96 and suddenly have extra fans baying on the door as a consequence. If we had a 50k seater back in 92 then we would have filled it with or without Shepherd.

Which brings me back to Wigan, they didnt have the huge fanbase we had when Whelan took over and never will but he has built that club up, got the fans in there and took them forward and he alone, can take the credit for that. As for the others mentioned such as Madjeski I believe he also has proven himself as a chairman way more than Shepherd has for what he has done for Reading.

I am not disagreeing that Madejski and Whelan have done well for their clubs, they have both done brilliantly. But what they have done is appoint good managers ie Pardew at Reading, and Jewell at Wigan. Whelan is an ex player so will obviously have a football knowledge, but that is all they have done, they have appointed good managers. We did well when we appointed Bobby Robson. They have not had demands to buy big players, or build or maintain a bigger financial structure, and keep a far bigger support happy, like they would at Newcastle. These big jobs like ours stretches people to their limit, its the ultimate test and totally different. We probably will never find out though will we ?

As for Madejski, he likes being in the papers with Cilla Black - does that constitute a PR gaffe and an embarrassment ..... :D

:o:icon_lol:<_<:blush::lol::):):nufc::sun::yes:blink::blink::blink::blink:

You are joking arent you? tell me you are.

And as for Madjeski and Cilla then no its not a PR gaffe unless hes on tape saying how he uses the clubs money to shag her up the arse every night in a Reading top thats shit quality.

Well....crowds in the top flight were generally lower before sky gave football its lick of glossy paint , rebranded the package etc etc.....but it doesn't explain how Newcastle United were one of the top 6 supported clubs in the country - when we were in the top league B) - yet spent years in the 2nd division, selling our best players, had a record transfer fee lower than clubs such as West Brom and West Ham [to name 2 off the top of my head without even thinking ] -- surely that tells you how much better the club is run these days ?

As for Madejski, he likes being in the papers with Cilla Black - does that constitute a PR gaffe and an embarrassment ..... :D

:o:icon_lol:<_<:blush::lol::):):nufc::sun::yes:blink::blink::blink::blink:

You are joking arent you? tell me you are.

And as for Madjeski and Cilla then no its not a PR gaffe unless hes on tape saying how he uses the clubs money to shag her up the arse every night in a Reading top thats shit quality.

from a playing side, then yes, that is how they have moved up the leagues. If you are going to mention the stadiums, then don't you consider our expansion the same ?

You have a vivid imagination my friend, ref the 2nd bit B)

Edited by LeazesMag

eeerrr...sorry mate, if you look you will see that I was responding to PP bringing it up. And I think it is pretty clear.

And I have explained it before. If you don't understand the concept of showing how easily replacing the current board could backfire badly and NUFC are not immune to it then you need a reality check too, unfortunately. Just who exactly is these mystery backers who will have the good of the club at heart and guarantee to win the trophies we have a right to, will always appoint the "right" manager, always have a "plan" [we won't mention Bobby Robson staying 5 years, the youth scheme started by Dalglish which has hardly been a success and the revamped stadium and new training complex will we ?] and guarantee permanent european football to boot ?

Do you think the club should stick with Roeder to show they have a "plan" ? Or should they have stuck with Souness and the "plan" ? Serious question.

what sort of "plan" are you talking about ? Is a 3 or 4 year contract not a "plan" ? What you are talking about is making a poor appointment, then having to sack him. This happens at all clubs. All managers are judged on results. They are all appointed with a hope they will do 5 years or more or whatever, but the vast majority don't. Bobby Robson did 5 years. So did Keegan. These weren't "plans", they were managers who got good results. If Shearer is really being earmarked as a manager in a year or two or earlier, is this a "plan" ? Yes or no ? And if he fucks up in his first 6 months and doesn't look like he is up to it, will you then say the club should stick to its "plan" or will you still be saying the club doesn't have one. It is highly amusing the people on here who trot out the same cliches, without having a mind of your own, fook knows why, because the absolute reality is that the manager himself determines the time he stays at a club and nothing else plays any part whatsoever.

I happens at Newcastle too much in recent years, Gullit was a mistake - Daglish died on his arse and sold a lot of good players. Robson - good call but sacked too late. Souness - Everybody could see it was going to end in tears. Roeder - Easy way out, fans ignored, easy way out of a difficult decision.

I am pleased you think that appointing a manager who had won 4 championships, 2 FA Cups and 3 manager of the year awards was a mistake. Perhaps you would like to explain your criteria for appointing managers ?

I take it another one who won the FA Cup with his first job, leaving his team in the last 16 of the European Cup and a Champions League spot in the league, is also a crap CV in your eyes ?

If not, then why are we the laughing stock of the premier league? :o

All worked about brilliant in the end eh?

We are the laughing stock of the premiership because people expect us to perform and so do we.

from a playing side, then yes, that is how they have moved up the leagues. If you are going to mention the stadiums, then don't you consider our expansion the same ?

You have a vivid imagination my friend, ref the 2nd bit :o

Well I dont have pictures of Wigans stadium as it was 20 years ago but I reckon to get a feel for it you should go to Blyth Spartans or Dunston Fed. So no I dont see our expansion the same as theirs.

And yes, I have a vivid imagination but then its the nearest he could do to match Freds. :icon_lol:

If not, then why are we the laughing stock of the premier league? :(

You might think it's daft Leazes, but factually it's correct. People are laughing at the piss poor way this club is being run. It's even gone so far that I hear people say they feel sorry for the Newcastle fans, not because of the years without silverware, but for the pathetic displays both on and off the pitch which the input that our fans give is deserving of so much more.

We're an absolute joke at the moment and no wave of a magic wand by the fat fairy is going to turn it all around. Until the upper levels of management are re-planted, we're never going to get of this slippery slope.

At the present moment, the Championship beckons, even more so than it did under Souness IMO.

You might think it's daft Leazes, but factually it's correct. People are laughing at the piss poor way this club is being run. It's even gone so far that I hear people say they feel sorry for the Newcastle fans, not because of the years without silverware, but for the pathetic displays both on and off the pitch which the input that our fans give is deserving of so much more.

We're an absolute joke at the moment and no wave of a magic wand by the fat fairy is going to turn it all around. Until the upper levels of management are re-planted, we're never going to get of this slippery slope.

At the present moment, the Championship beckons, even more so than it did under Souness IMO.

Leaze this is from that telegraph article linked in another thread. National media opinions speak volumes.

Those of us neutrals who travel the English football circuit, mixing with fans of all club colours, and gauging the depth of their fervour, readily admit respect for Newcastle's following, home and away. Battered at Manchester United, Newcastle fans never stopped singing.

St James' itself is a special place, an arena that makes the pulse quicken when the teams walk out and that extraordinary roar erupts from countless Gallowgate throats. Attending Alan Shearer's testimonial last season was uplifting because of the outpouring of love for a local hero while also painfully poignant. The absence of Shearer's name from the cast-list rips away much of the lingering class clinging to the club.

A die-hard Newcastle disciple of this observer's acquaintance is convinced the club will be transformed only when supporters show their dissatisfaction at serial mismanagement by voting with their feet. Empty seats. No queues in the megastores. Might focus a few minds in the board-room. It will never happen.

Following Newcastle is a birthright, a religion, a warm-up before the knees-up of a night out. On the Geordie check-list of must-do activities, watching the Toon ranks alongside breathing. Such loyalty merits better leadership. Shepherd Out.

Leazes will be along later to tell you that fancy Dans like Henry Winter with their university degrees know nothing about football, and only write what they've read in books or been told by their fancy Dan lecturers. Besides, this article was written in the Telegraph, and not the Sun which everyone knows is the true bible of footballing journalism.

Whether or not you consider us to be the laughing stock of the Premier League I certainly think we have been an almost constant source of amusement in recent years to many other sets of fans. Also, more importantly Shepherd has a pretty bad reputation in football from what I can gather. You can debate whether or not that's fair but it doesn't really matter since with something like this it's as much about perception as anything else.

Edited by alex

Leazes will be along later to tell you that fancy Dans like Henry Winter with their university degrees know nothing about football, and only write what they've read in books or been told by their fancy Dan lecturers. Besides, this article was written in the Telegraph, and not the Sun which everyone knows is the true bible of footballing journalism.

Shows him as a moron tbh as Winter is comfortably the best british football journalist about.

All worked about brilliant in the end eh?

We are the laughing stock of the premiership because people expect us to perform and so do we.

I didn't expect you to answer my question. You don't have an answer, do you ?

Shows him as a moron tbh as Winter is comfortably the best british football journalist about.

In your opinion.

You can answer t-Keiths question if you like and give us a sample of your knowledge.

In your opinion.

You can answer t-Keiths question if you like and give us a sample of your knowledge.

Have you read this??

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9597

Not passing comment on any of the posts in the last couple of weeks as I havent had chance to read the thread recently, but can I just say that Leazes curry recipes are well worth a bash if anyone gets a chance. Tried a couple at the weekend-well impressed!

Not passing comment on any of the posts in the last couple of weeks as I havent had chance to read the thread recently, but can I just say that Leazes curry recipes are well worth a bash if anyone gets a chance. Tried a couple at the weekend-well impressed!

Tried a couple? Nee wonder that waistline is growing :(

Edited by alex

Tried a couple? Nee wonder that waistline is growing :(

Away and shite! Who's been mouthing off, then? Lennon?

I was sucking it in all morning at her place! Thought I'd got away with it! :o

Tried a couple? Nee wonder that waistline is growing :o

I was sucking it in all morning at her place! Thought I'd got away with it! :blush:

Funnily enough, she never mentioned it. Just on a wind-up. Struck a nerve though :(

In your opinion.

Why we are a laughing stock? Where do I begin

Incompetent manager that no other Premiership team would ever dream of appointing

Abysmal transfer policy that has seen us spunk £20m on forwards who couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel

Abysmal recruitment policy that has appointed players/coaches out of mere sentimentality

This coupled with the most shambolic back four, shortest midfield and weakest forward line this side of the equator.

Enough?

Edited by Sima

In your opinion.

Incompetent manager that no other Premiership team would ever dream of appointing

Abysmal transfer policy that has seen us spunk £20m on forwards who couldn't hit a cows arse with a shovel

Abysmal recruitment policy that has appointed players/coaches out of mere sentimentality

This coupled with the most shambolic back four, shortest midfield and weakest forward line this side of the equator.

Enough?

It's worth mentioning Shepherd's crass comments when talking about us being a laughing stock too. LM doesn't think it matters when he says things like ManU are like a ship without a sail, but strangely it doesn't stop the media and other fans from taking the piss out of us.....

In your opinion.

Enough?

Nicely summed up :(

I was sucking it in all morning at her place! Thought I'd got away with it! :(

What you and Cat get upto in the privacy of her home should remain that way not be splashed across a football forum.....

porvort!

well I am not living in Newcastle just now either, and I haven't heard anyone making a joke of the club. There are plenty of people taking the piss out of Leeds, the mackems, West Ham, Liverpool, Manure whenever they lose, Man City [and Stuart Pearce who you thought was improving them] to name a few....and other clubs such as Sheff Wed when people even remember they exist.....speaking of which I remember when we were a joke just like them which is when we were in a state like that ourselves for quite a long time. Especially when we sold our trophy players ie England players and replaced them with tripe and has beens and ordinary players. Pre - 1992 of course, until this board stepped in and showed new ambitions for the club.

Either way, I suggest you stop being so sensitive. It sounds like they just know they are winding you up, I can't imagine how you would take it if we were shit. Never mind, next week you can remind them how envious they will be when we are playing in europe - again, and they presumably are not.

And - our current situation is exactly what myself and one or two others told you and some others on here would be the legacy of Souness, but you carried on saying we should back him with unlimited funds regardless. So - having forgotten you did all of that, I think you should cast your mind back....and having backed it, why are you moaning.

In your opinion.

Enough?

That wasn't the question to T-Keith. How come a smart lad like you can't read ?

well I am not living in Newcastle just now either, and I haven't heard anyone making a joke of the club. There are plenty of people taking the piss out of Leeds, the mackems, West Ham, Liverpool, Manure whenever they lose, Man City [and Stuart Pearce who you thought was improving them] to name a few....and other clubs such as Sheff Wed when people even remember they exist.....speaking of which I remember when we were a joke just like them which is when we were in a state like that ourselves for quite a long time. Especially when we sold our trophy players ie England players and replaced them with tripe and has beens and ordinary players. Pre - 1992 of course, until this board stepped in and showed new ambitions for the club.

Either way, I suggest you stop being so sensitive. It sounds like they just know they are winding you up, I can't imagine how you would take it if we were shit. Never mind, next week you can remind them how envious they will be when we are playing in europe - again, and they presumably are not.

And - our current situation is exactly what myself and one or two others told you and some others on here would be the legacy of Souness, but you carried on saying we should back him with unlimited funds regardless. So - having forgotten you did all of that, I think you should cast your mind back....and having backed it, why are you moaning.

Wasnt it the chairman rather than the people on this board who backed Souness financially? Lets face it I cant imagine anyone on here being daft enough to hoy £50m at someone like him. The other fella should have known better though.