FAO Leazes Mag

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I'm inclined to agree with LM for once. If things had turned out differently in 96, and since then we had had their success and they had ours, who would have the bigger following and income? Us, imo. That's why it's so important for us to win something - success breeds success as they say, but for Schmiechel things could have been very different.

However, where I disagree with LM is where we went after 96 and whose fault that ultimately is. With the right man at the top, things could have been so different. :lol:

Thank you :razz:

I basically think the only difference between now and 1996 is we have not had a better manager than Keegan. You can say the chairman/board etc are the ones who choose the manager, and that is of course correct, but it wasn't Sir John who chose Keegan was it ..... good management or lucky as fuck ?????

The only thing I can add, is again - the fact that we are still a top club - on merit - with basically the same board and major shareholders. I am NOT defending anyone, just posting the truth.

I LIKED Sir John better than Shepherd - even though he still spouted the same sort of "geordie nation" bollocks, but because the team was doing better, nobody was bothered, which again is a point I have mentioned before. Just because the team hasn't done as well under the previous chairman as the current one, doesn't make the current one crap. And - do you believe anything that SJH said at the time about "a price for the pocket", "giving the club to the people",.....that was just as much bollocks as some things Shepherd has said...did you honestly believe that crap ?

As with most boards, they will only get away with so many disappointing managerial appointments, but that in itself will make them a victim of the initial success.

So who chose Keegan then? :lol:

Didn't call us all thick though did he?

Not at the moment we are'nt. Ask Sky and the BBC et al. We were but due to our last few mediocre campaigns they have us tranked the same as Bolton, Fulham, and the likes. And currently behind Aston Villa and EVerton.

Freddie Fletcher chose Keegan.

I thought everybody knew that.

Because he had been in a similar role at Rangers, and he chose the fuckpig Souness who revived interest before a ball was kicked, he indentified at Newcastle the same need to generate massive interest as quickly as possible. So he suggested Keegan, for that reason.

I suppose people who jumped onto the Keegan bandwagon may not have done ....

Keegan says on page 205 in his book "Neither George Forbes nor Peter Mallinger knew that on Monday 3 February 1992 I was being asked to take over as Newcastle Manager on the Wednesday. When it came to the crunch, it was Fletcher, Shepherd and Douglas Hall who wanted me to replace Ossie Ardiles".

Remember also how SJH went back on his word to fund money to Keegan and help him save the club from relegation, whick Keegan describes in detail ? Good managment ?

And - in the summer - guess who went to Spain to persuade Keegan to sign a proper contract ?

Fletcher, Hall Jnr and Shepherd . Keegan says this on page 220 of his book.

I thought everyone knew that too..... :(

As for your last line, those clubs are also above Liverpool and Arsenal at the moment

As KevinCarrsGloves [does he know who Kevin Carr was ?] says I haven't proved him wrong, he can answer this ?

In fact, you all can. Don't let the facts blind you into believing that someone else should get the credit though ..... intelligent chaps like you lot can read, so you say ...... :(

bump....again

According to Renton, I made this up ;)

I'm sure with his qualifications and because he's such a clever, clever, intelligent man who is always right and knows everything about everything, can give his opinion or maybe even different facts

deedeedeedeedee

ho hum.......

I'll think you may find that answering a question doesn't prove me wrong. Also KK say's Fletcher Hall Jnr and Shepherd went out to spain to get him to come. That doesn't mean Hall Snr had no input into his choice as manager.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclined to agree with LM for once. If things had turned out differently in 96, and since then we had had their success and they had ours, who would have the bigger following and income? Us, imo. That's why it's so important for us to win something - success breeds success as they say, but for Schmiechel things could have been very different.

However, where I disagree with LM is where we went after 96 and whose fault that ultimately is. With the right man at the top, things could have been so different. :scratchchin:

Thank you :lol:

I basically think the only difference between now and 1996 is we have not had a better manager than Keegan. You can say the chairman/board etc are the ones who choose the manager, and that is of course correct, but it wasn't Sir John who chose Keegan was it ..... good management or lucky as fuck ?????

The only thing I can add, is again - the fact that we are still a top club - on merit - with basically the same board and major shareholders. I am NOT defending anyone, just posting the truth.

I LIKED Sir John better than Shepherd - even though he still spouted the same sort of "geordie nation" bollocks, but because the team was doing better, nobody was bothered, which again is a point I have mentioned before. Just because the team hasn't done as well under the previous chairman as the current one, doesn't make the current one crap. And - do you believe anything that SJH said at the time about "a price for the pocket", "giving the club to the people",.....that was just as much bollocks as some things Shepherd has said...did you honestly believe that crap ?

As with most boards, they will only get away with so many disappointing managerial appointments, but that in itself will make them a victim of the initial success.

So who chose Keegan then? :scratchchin:

Not at the moment we are'nt. Ask Sky and the BBC et al. We were but due to our last few mediocre campaigns they have us tranked the same as Bolton, Fulham, and the likes. And currently behind Aston Villa and EVerton.

Because he had been in a similar role at Rangers, and he chose the fuckpig Souness who revived interest before a ball was kicked, he indentified at Newcastle the same need to generate massive interest as quickly as possible. So he suggested Keegan, for that reason.

Keegan says on page 205 in his book "Neither George Forbes nor Peter Mallinger knew that on Monday 3 February 1992 I was being asked to take over as Newcastle Manager on the Wednesday. When it came to the crunch, it was Fletcher, Shepherd and Douglas Hall who wanted me to replace Ossie Ardiles".

Remember also how SJH went back on his word to fund money to Keegan and help him save the club from relegation, whick Keegan describes in detail ? Good managment ?

And - in the summer - guess who went to Spain to persuade Keegan to sign a proper contract ?

I thought everyone knew that too..... :)

As for your last line, those clubs are also above Liverpool and Arsenal at the moment

As KevinCarrsGloves [does he know who Kevin Carr was ?] says I haven't proved him wrong, he can answer this ?

In fact, you all can. Don't let the facts blind you into believing that someone else should get the credit though ..... intelligent chaps like you lot can read, so you say ...... :unsure:

bump....again

I'm sure with his qualifications and because he's such a clever, clever, intelligent man who is always right and knows everything about everything, can give his opinion or maybe even different facts

deedeedeedeedee

ho hum.......

I'll think you may find that answering a question doesn't prove me wrong. Also KK say's Fletcher Hall Jnr and Shepherd went out to spain to get him to come. That doesn't mean Hall Snr had no input into his choice as manager.

Further down the page he says about a meeting they had " I was not very impressed with him (Hall Snr). It was obvious that he wasn't comfortable with my proposed appointment. I could understand why, because he has put his name to an article by Bob Cass in the Mail on Sunday three days earlier which claimed that ossie's job was safe, and I knew that his family had built up a strong friendship with Ossie's. I was also concerned that neither Mallinger nor Forbes was present. Whatever Sir John thought about the situation he was in the minority. The other 3 laid the cards on the table: the club was on its way down and they had to do something very quickly if they were going to halt the decline. It seemed to me that Sir John was being given no choice.

He seemed anxious to get away - his original reason for coming down to London with his wife Lady Mae was to buy some trees in Kew Gardens. But I would not let him slip away until I knew how much money would be available to me for players. He told me that there would be 1m straight away and a further million if it was required. That was what I wanted to hear. It might not sound like a lot of money these days, but then I felt it was as much as I needed"

Further down he says "I must have been the only manager to be appointed without the knowledge of the chairman and vice chairman, neither of whom was informed until an hour before the press conference at which the news was made public. And even the future chairman - the man with the money - indicated that it was his colleagues rather than himself who wanted me."

A few pages later, on page 213, he says "What I did not know what that Sir John hall was playing political games with the other directors, Bob Young, George Forbes, Peter Mallinger and Gordon McKeag, in the matter of funds he had promised me. He was quite prepared to put in his share of the money I needed, which amounted to 40 per cent, but he told the others that they had to find the

remaining 60 per cent. That was not fair, because none of them had been given a say in my appointment, or even known about it, let alone an opportunity to turn down or agree to my original demands. As far as I was concerned, it wasn't their problem and I never held anything against Forbes and Mallinger over the issue.

All this was going on as a sideshow to the relegation battle and I decided that enough was enough. I filled Terry {Mac} in on the details and told him that we had no alternative but to go. Sir John had to keep his promises, regardless of his problems with the others and how much they might or might not put in."

Later, on pagef 214, he says "The player I wanted, Darren McDonough from Luton, was only going to cost £100,000, a fraction of the 1m or even the 2m pledged to me to get the club out of trouble"

Then, after the Swindon game, while driving out of the ground with Terry (Mac) - " I'm finished here and none of you know. I was furious, not with Forbes, Mallinger or the other directors, but with Sir John Hall".

Still think you are right ?

Rent boy can comment too if he likes, as he's avoiding it now .... :woosh:

Edited by LeazesMag

Personally i'm quite happy for the club to remain in with it's present ownership although i think that SJH and FS are getting on a bit and maybe don't want to be bothered with all this hassle anymore, it's the idea of them passing it on to their sons that i find slightly worrying.

However, i don't think FS should be Chairman any longer or at least, his influence should be removed so it does not impact on 1st team affairs to their detriment. It seems he buys players his manager doesn't advise (Butt over Carrick) and sells players (or tries to) with out his manager's approval (Woodie, Speed and Bowyer). Neither do i think he has the abitilty or perception to choose a good manager, nor when to replace one who's starting to struggle.

FS is only part of the Board though and i don't know to what extent the majority holders influence these decisions and leave FS to ake the flak on the chin.

However, where I disagree with LM is where we went after 96 and whose fault that ultimately is. With the right man at the top, things could have been so different. :scratchchin:

Thank you :lol:

So who chose Keegan then? :scratchchin:

I thought everyone knew that too..... :)

In fact, you all can. Don't let the facts blind you into believing that someone else should get the credit though ..... intelligent chaps like you lot can read, so you say ...... :unsure:

bump....again

deedeedeedeedee

ho hum.......

Further down the page he says about a meeting they had " I was not very impressed with him (Hall Snr). It was obvious that he wasn't comfortable with my proposed appointment. I could understand why, because he has put his name to an article by Bob Cass in the Mail on Sunday three days earlier which claimed that ossie's job was safe, and I knew that his family had built up a strong friendship with Ossie's. I was also concerned that neither Mallinger nor Forbes was present. Whatever Sir John thought about the situation he was in the minority. The other 3 laid the cards on the table: the club was on its way down and they had to do something very quickly if they were going to halt the decline. It seemed to me that Sir John was being given no choice.

He seemed anxious to get away - his original reason for coming down to London with his wife Lady Mae was to buy some trees in Kew Gardens. But I would not let him slip away until I knew how much money would be available to me for players. He told me that there would be 1m straight away and a further million if it was required. That was what I wanted to hear. It might not sound like a lot of money these days, but then I felt it was as much as I needed"

Further down he says "I must have been the only manager to be appointed without the knowledge of the chairman and vice chairman, neither of whom was informed until an hour before the press conference at which the news was made public. And even the future chairman - the man with the money - indicated that it was his colleagues rather than himself who wanted me."

A few pages later, on page 213, he says "What I did not know what that Sir John hall was playing political games with the other directors, Bob Young, George Forbes, Peter Mallinger and Gordon McKeag, in the matter of funds he had promised me. He was quite prepared to put in his share of the money I needed, which amounted to 40 per cent, but he told the others that they had to find the

remaining 60 per cent. That was not fair, because none of them had been given a say in my appointment, or even known about it, let alone an opportunity to turn down or agree to my original demands. As far as I was concerned, it wasn't their problem and I never held anything against Forbes and Mallinger over the issue.

All this was going on as a sideshow to the relegation battle and I decided that enough was enough. I filled Terry {Mac} in on the details and told him that we had no alternative but to go. Sir John had to keep his promises, regardless of his problems with the others and how much they might or might not put in."

Later, on pagef 214, he says "The player I wanted, Darren McDonough from Luton, was only going to cost £100,000, a fraction of the 1m or even the 2m pledged to me to get the club out of trouble"

Then, after the Swindon game, while driving out of the ground with Terry (Mac) - " I'm finished here and none of you know. I was furious, not with Forbes, Mallinger or the other directors, but with Sir John Hall".

Still think you are right ?

Rent boy can comment too if he likes, as he's avoiding it now .... :woosh:

I asked a question you thick bastard you are truly a moronic shit. I bet you are a samll little bloke who goes around trying to cause fights in pubs.

Can you get this through your thick skull.

ANSWERING A QUESTION DOES NOT PROVE SOMEONE WRONG YOU PRICK!!!!

So Keegan's book is ok to be quoted from and are the whole and total truth and the quotes from Sir Bobby's book aren't worth shit?

OK.

;)

I've only read parts of both but it's the additions to SBR's book that i'm basing my opinion on, so i don't get your point.

So Keegan's book is ok to be quoted from and are the whole and total truth and the quotes from Sir Bobby's book aren't worth shit?

OK.

;)

I've only read parts of both but it's the additions to SBR's book that i'm basing my opinion on, so i don't get your point.

Sorry it was directed at Leazes, who claim Robson's comments in his book are the work of some devil possessed no nowt who wants his own back on his ex-employers, but gladly quotes Keegan's biography like it's gospel and can't be denied.

• 5 years later...

Re your Ellis took over Villa blah blah blah. Shepherd took over Newcastle when they were arguably the second best side in the country. We now can't even finish in the top 6, are a PR disaster, are synonymous with unprofessionalism and have finished outside of the top 10 on a few occasions too. Now that's what I call progress.

None of what you've written above takes away from the fact that you've consistently scoffed at people telling them they would perhaps prefer Doug Ellis, and then you've gone on to prove that Doug Ellis has performed exactly the same as Freddy Shepherd. How Villa were when Ellis took over is irrelevant, it's his performance alongside Shepherd during the Premiership years that we're looking at.

Your argument is in tatters, and Freddy Shepherd is still a shit chairman.

As for Lerner offering O'Neill a 6 year contract - would he be better taking the Freddy Shepherd approach and giving his manager rolling one year contracts, and then announcing at the beginning of a season that he won't be renewing it? Lerner is planning long term, hence the long contract - if a bigger club comes in for O'Neill it will cost them a fortune to prise him away, something which is a distinct possibility and which Lerner has intelligently protected himself against. Long term planning is a concept that is completely alien to Shepherd who prefers the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to running a business.

oh Gemma :lol:

what is particularly striking about this thread, is the amount of people slating the club and the chairman etc, when we had just qualified for europe.

You've dragged up a thread from nearly 6 years ago?! :lol:

Do you seriously have nothing more constructive to be doing?

well Catherine darling, at least it isn't made up shite. :lol: You should try lecturing those who are spouting such things that aren't true, or posting utter drivel in debateable threads like the one I've just started, as a moderator like, if you want to have a go at people for wasting their time, and dragging the forum down.

PS. Gemmill missed this one out when he sent me his apology by pm

Edited by LeazesMag

well Catherine darling, at least it isn't made up shite. :lol: You should try lecturing those who are spouting such things that aren't true, or posting utter drivel in debateable threads like the one I've just started, as a moderator like, if you want to have a go at people for wasting their time, and dragging the forum down.

PS. Gemmill missed this one out when he sent me his apology by pm

The only thing dragging the forum down is you.

hard to believe leazesmag has been having this same argument on this board for 6 years now. and people are STILL having it out with him.

for the sake of this place....please let it lie.

The only thing dragging the forum down is you.

suggest you take a good long look at those who post a pack of shite, lies and can't admit when they have been wrong. Just a suggestion. Pity you know them, or your attitude would be different I suspect.

See the genuinely debateable thread I've started this morning and their contributions to it, if you can actually engage an impartial view before posting such comments.

They are supposed to be ignoring me too. They are both a total joke.

Edited by LeazesMag