Best Gig

sweetleftpeg

"Most people who saw Dylan live at the height of his powers ('66) thought he was shit."

and they weren't that wrong TBH - great writer, crap singer

agreed.

Songs such as Mr Tambourine Man and All Along The Watchtower.....classics by other artists to name 2 but terrible by Dylan.

I do like Knocking ON Heavens Door and Lay Lady Lay though, and thats about it

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most people who saw Dylan live at the height of his powers ('66) thought he was shit."

agreed.

Songs such as Mr Tambourine Man and All Along The Watchtower.....classics by other artists to name 2 but terrible by Dylan.

Disagreed.

With Rob because the people who booed him loved his acoustic stuff but just couldn't get past the fact he was constantly growing and trying new things.

With LM because to say Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man and All Along The Watchtower were terrible is a joke. The weakness of that wind up doesn't really warrant a response.

On the whole, I can understand peoples distain for Dylan's vocals, he is unconventional. Whether an artist's vocals appeal to you or not is down to taste, but the best performers imbue their songs with a feeling that touches you rather than with technical precision, and Dylan does hit the notes. Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Johnny Rotten, Joey Ramone, Johnny Cash, Ian Curtis, Shane MacGowan, Lou Reed and loads of others are in the same vein. I'd rather listen to any of those than a soulless lounge act like Mariah Carey, Cliff Richards or Elton John who sound pleasant and might have one hell of a range but would have me clawing at my ears to try and mute their uninspiring shiny shit.

agreed.

Disagreed.

With Rob because the people who booed him loved his acoustic stuff but just couldn't get past the fact he was constantly growing and trying new things.

With LM because to say Dylan's Mr Tambourine Man and All Along The Watchtower were terrible is a joke. The weakness of that wind up doesn't really warrant a response.

On the whole, I can understand peoples distain for Dylan's vocals, he is unconventional. Whether an artist's vocals appeal to you or not is down to taste, but the best performers imbue their songs with a feeling that touches you rather than with technical precision, and Dylan does hit the notes. Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Johnny Rotten, Joey Ramone, Johnny Cash, Ian Curtis, Shane MacGowan, Lou Reed and loads of others are in the same vein. I'd rather listen to any of those than a soulless lounge act like Mariah Carey, Cliff Richards or Elton John who sound pleasant and might have one hell of a range but would have me clawing at my ears to try and mute their uninspiring shiny shit.

I agree with your argument, but for my money, I'd rather stick knitting needles in my ears than listen to Dylan or Cash, as it seems fashionable to claim to like those two at the moment.

I agree with your argument, but for my money, I'd rather stick knitting needles in my ears than listen to Dylan or Cash, as it seems fashionable to claim to like those two at the moment.

Do you mean you might like them but would rather not go along with a trend, or you'll not pretend to like them just to follow a trend? I presume you mean the latter, but it reads either way.

I've got a mate who's refused to buy the last few Cash albums because he's become too popular, and he's shitting himself for when Dylan dies as he won't be able to turn him up loud for fear that the neighbours think he's jumping on the bandwagon.

Sad that someone can be so image conscious really.

just got back from Smogland....by they are a strange fucking breed down there. He tried his best to get the crowd going to no avail...should have come back to the Academy. A rather strange support band whose name escapes me but the singer thought she was a cross between Siouxsie Sioux and Hazel O'Connor ????wtf

Where did they play in Boro?

the Town Hall....rather strange venue like...won't be going back!

Aye that's were I saw Dirty Pretty Things at. Had to endure the Smoggies bastards all chanting Pigbag too. :lol:

Among the best I've seen were Queen, Rolling Stones (both @ St. James') , David Bowie (@ Roker park, IIRC), De La Soul (Newcastle Students Union) , Prince (in Las Vegas) , but by far the best were;

1) Big Country, Newcastle City Hall. Just an amazing experience all round. Stuart Adamson, RIP.

2) Lenny Kravitz, at what used to be the Riverside in Newcastle. Strange because I'm not a huge fan of him or of his music, but that night in such a small venue (300 people max?), he & his band were just incredible.

Do you mean you might like them but would rather not go along with a trend, or you'll not pretend to like them just to follow a trend? I presume you mean the latter, but it reads either way.

I've got a mate who's refused to buy the last few Cash albums because he's become too popular, and he's shitting himself for when Dylan dies as he won't be able to turn him up loud for fear that the neighbours think he's jumping on the bandwagon.

ahhhh the days when you bought a Bowie ("who?") album and went around with it under yer arm and with the cover picture out to the street to convince everyone how super cool and ahead of the game you were...................... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Has to be Placebo at Paleo Festival.

Although it was slightly marred when I'd had too much beer and...aye.

Went home, recorded yourself miming to some songs with no top on, and put them up on the internet?

My mam saw The Beatles, The Who, The Stones etc in the 60's and is quite blase about the whole thing. The only thing she will say is that she saw Bob Dylan at the height of his powers and he was 'shit.' :lol:

My Dad is a musical embarrassment. We passed the City Hall once on the way to the match and turned round to my mam and said 'we saw a "turn" on in there didnt we?'

:lol: Beatles, Roy Orbison, Gerry and the Pisstakers et al.....

He really doesnt understand music at all.

Anyway, another good gig was the Wonderstuff and Darling buds at Riverside for 2 nights sometime in the late 80s.

Fugazi and Gaye Bikers were also good around the same time.

Smiths at Mayfair were excellent though.

As I understand, and some of the lads who were around in the 60's might want to correct me here, you'd get several big bands on the same bill. You'd get to see 3 or 4 bands for very little cost, unheard of today like.

My mam saw The Beatles, The Who, The Stones etc in the 60's and is quite blase about the whole thing. The only thing she will say is that she saw Bob Dylan at the height of his powers and he was 'shit.' :lol:

My Dad is a musical embarrassment. We passed the City Hall once on the way to the match and turned round to my mam and said 'we saw a "turn" on in there didnt we?'

Anyway, another good gig was the Wonderstuff and Darling buds at Riverside for 2 nights sometime in the late 80s.

As I understand, and some of the lads who were around in the 60's might want to correct me here, you'd get several big bands on the same bill. You'd get to see 3 or 4 bands for very little cost, unheard of today like.

Except at Leeds, Glastonbury, Reading, V......

Edited by Happy Face

Except at Leeds, Glastonbury, Reading, V......

That's a festival though. I'm talking every weekend at somewhere like the city hall.

aye - they would travel round in a one bus, got paid shit

there was no Pop radio station at all - just the old "Light Programme" and Radio Luxemburg - which had shit reception in a lot of the UK so apart from the Saturday morning radio show on the beeb there was no way of getting your records heard other than to travel

ahhhh the days when you bought a Bowie ("who?") album and went around with it under yer arm and with the cover picture out to the street to convince everyone how super cool and ahead of the game you were...................... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

David Bowie wasn't even in The Who, dumbass!

Indeed...... I'd moved on by then......

but now I have the embarrasment of creeping into record shops to buy the latest stuff (well some of it) and looking like a desperate old perve...........

I find the " I say , my man, m' grandson is into some modern music - Attic Apes or some such - can you help an owld gadgie?"

sorry - a big data load just went south and I hit send by mistake in the panic

I meant to finish "works best..... but I do get to see a lot of crap before shouting "that looks familiar"

sorry - a big data load just went south and I hit send by mistake in the panic

I meant to finish "works best..... but I do get to see a lot of crap before shouting "that looks familiar"

Euphemism?

agreed.

Disagreed.

not a wind up yer daft twat. I think those 2 tracks by Dylan are outright shite. Period.

Of course you can disagree but as you don't know who I like and who I don't ..

And I don't think much of your boring analysis of what makes a good singer or some of your choices. In the end, what you like is up to you, and in my opinion I like quality music and I don't like shite, most of the quality music I like is because the singers, the band, or something in the song has "soul".....if you don't like Elton JOhn, you should listen to his early stuff which is vastly different to what he has turned out in the last 20 years, and along with Cliff Richard in his early days is far from being a "lounge act".

I have a wide range of musical taste in rock and pop, and a comprehensive collection.

Lou Reed is a shite singer too, apart from one or two exceptions particularly "Satellite of Love" btw.

Among the best I've seen were Queen, Rolling Stones (both @ St. James') , David Bowie (@ Roker park, IIRC), De La Soul (Newcastle Students Union) , Prince (in Las Vegas) , but by far the best were;

1) Big Country, Newcastle City Hall. Just an amazing experience all round. Stuart Adamson, RIP.

2) Lenny Kravitz, at what used to be the Riverside in Newcastle. Strange because I'm not a huge fan of him or of his music, but that night in such a small venue (300 people max?), he & his band were just incredible.

I stood outside Roker Park for the Bowie gig. He came out with the immortal words "Hello Newcastle" :lol:

I stood outside Roker Park for the Bowie gig. He came out with the immortal words "Hello Newcastle" :lol:

I went to see Big Country then left. Bowie never did anything for me.

agreed.

Disagreed.

not a wind up yer daft twat. I think those 2 tracks by Dylan are outright shite. Period.

And I don't think much of your boring analysis of what makes a good singer or some of your choices. In the end, what you like is up to you, and in my opinion I like quality music and I don't like shite, most of the quality music I like is because the singers, the band, or something in the song has "soul".....if you don't like Elton JOhn, you should listen to his early stuff which is vastly different to what he has turned out in the last 20 years, and along with Cliff Richard in his early days is far from being a "lounge act".

I have a wide range of musical taste in rock and pop, and a comprehensive collection.

Lou Reed is a shite singer too, apart from one or two exceptions particularly "Satellite of Love" btw.

I recently procured his 3 disc greatest hits for that purpose, I'd heard some canny covers of his songs so thought I'd give him a whirl. It was like pollution to my ears.

Sorry I bored you, get Bachelor Boy on and have yourself a party rather than reading my drivell.

Edited by Happy Face

The list is long:

Swervedriver @ 1996 Metro theatre x 2 & Manly fisho's (I kid you not.)

Elvis Costello @ 2002 The State theatre

Rollercoaster tour @ 1992 Brixton Academy

JMC Australian tour @ 1990 Selina's & Enmore Theatre

Nirvana @ 1990 Selina's

My Bloody Valentine @ 1992 Sydney Uni - the venue had so much reverb it was an even bigger wall of sound.

Sugarcubes - 1991 Enmore Theatre

The Style Council - 1985 Horden Pavilion

BB King @ 1986 Entertainment Centre (intimate audience staging)

Mudhoney @ 1989 Kardoma Cafe

Dinosaur JR @ 1988 Master Builders Club (often refer to as the masturbators)

Morphine @ 1995 Phoenician Club

The Triffids @ 1987 Sydney Cove Tavern

Supergrass @ 1999 Metro Theatre

(And they're the ones I can remember).

Edited by sammynb

agreed.

Disagreed.

I recently procured his 3 disc greatest hits for that purpose, I'd heard some canny covers of his songs so thought I'd give him a whirl. It was like pollution to my ears.

Sorry I bored you, get Bachelor Boy on and have yourself a party rather than reading my drivell.

you procure them ?

...... I wouldn't buy Cliff Richard or Bob Dylan records, CD's or albums tbh

Just a tip.......Elton's Johns 3 disk greatest hits set is mainly shit and doesn't cover his early stuff.

Try again and procure Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player and Madman Across The Water, or download them if you want to spend your allowance on something else .....

Edited by LeazesMag