Owen: I'm a Geordie for life

smoggeordie

Link

Michael Owen today told Newcastle United: "I'm here as long as you want me." The Newcastle United star could still miss the entire campaign this season as he recovers from the horror knee injury sustained at the World Cup in the summer.

Last term United fans' biggest fear was that Owen may quit the club in search of Champions League football if he shone in Germany, having made a comeback from a broken foot.

Instead, Owen ruptured knee ligaments and has twice travelled over the Atlantic for treatment by US surgeon Dr Richard Steadman in Colorado.

But speaking at Wallsend Boys Club's annual dinner in Newcastle, Owen said: "I've had five weeks since my final operation and that means I might be back in six or seven months if everything goes fine.

"I could play again this season which would be nice.

"In terms of how long I stay at Newcastle, I'm here as long as everybody wants me.

"I had four years on my contract when I signed last year, so I would say at least that length of time and then you'd have to ask the chairman for the rest."

Despite his injury, the words of Owen will be a boost to United supporters who are desperate to see him back in a black-and-white shirt after watching the England man make just 10 starts since arriving from Real Madrid for a club record £17m.

Owen has bagged seven goals in that time, and after spending 14 months in Newcastle the striker admits he has adjusted well to life on Tyneside after his stint with Real Madrid.

He added: "I do really enjoy Newcastle as a place. I have got two children here and they go to school here and they love it.

"Any parent knows if your children are happy, then you are happy.

"That is one of the main things.

"In terms of myself, I get out a little bit around Newcastle with a few of the lads occasionally.

"It is a lovely place and a lovely area and I have settled in really well.

"I am enjoying it here, and even though I have only played 10 or so games, when I have played it has been good. I have scored seven and we picked up a lot of points along the way."

However, despite Owen's form when fit, the 80-times capped England ace has suffered a horrendous time with injuries, leaving the Cheshire-born star somewhat disgruntled.

Owen first shattered his foot, breaking his metatarsal against Tottenham on the final day of 2005 after a collision with keeper Paul Robinson, and after an absence of five months, he then fell awkwardly in England's game against Sweden in the World Cup to sideline him again for the foreseeable future.

He continued: "I hadn't had an operation in my life before I came to Newcastle and then I end up having four in a year.

"It is unbelievable, but this is definitely the last.

"I have never been injured for this length of time so hopefully this is only a blip and I'll be back."

Only because no fucker else wants him at his exorbitant fee and vast wages.

Next.

I can't say I'm surprised that you - or one of a few other miserable shites - have turned a great boost and statement about the club and the area into a huge negative.

Next.

I can't say I'm surprised that you - or one of a few other miserable shites - have turned a great boost and statement about the club and the area into a huge negative.

But this is the sort of stuff he should have been saying a year ago. Not when hes been sitting on his arse colelcting 100k a week for months and suddenly realises that hes not wanted by arsenal, chelsea etc anymore.

We were the laughing stock when he signed with his whole 'well everyone knows newcastle werent my first choice, but il give 100percent' speech, followed by his 'Im just training hard trying to get fit for england' quotes every other day whilst he was injured.

So forgive me if im not jumping for joy that our £16mil signing and the clubs top earner has turned aroud after a year and a half and actually stated he wants to keep playing for us !

Next.

But this is the sort of stuff he should have been saying a year ago. Not when hes been sitting on his arse colelcting 100k a week for months and suddenly realises that hes not wanted by arsenal, chelsea etc anymore.

We were the laughing stock

typical load of drivel. We were the envy of everyone

You're obviously the sensitive type. AAAhhhh...

when he signed with his whole 'well everyone knows newcastle werent my first choice, but il give 100percent' speech, followed by his 'Im just training hard trying to get fit for england' quotes every other day whilst he was injured.

So forgive me if im not jumping for joy that our £16mil signing and the clubs top earner has turned aroud after a year and a half and actually stated he wants to keep playing for us !

you obviously have never been for a job interview, if you don't understand that there is a time and a place to say certain things, what do you want him to say - I've only came here for the money ?

I can't say I'm surprised that you are one of those who responded to my previous post.

Edited by LeazesMag

you dont half talk shite sometimes mate!

I think some of you do. People have been harping on for ages about Owen making some statement about his loyalty to Newcastle, then when he does you put a negative slant on it.

Whatever the club does, is taken negatively. Despite giving you regular european football and top international footballers, and being one of the countries leading clubs. That is where the club should be, its where it is [and yes nobody is denying we would like better] and you still moan on, what a bunch of negative minded cretins some of you are.

The clubs who qualify for europe are the envy of every single club who doesn't.

What do you people want exactly ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Next.

Agreed, at the end of the day, these statements can only help. I do not necessarily believe that every word is from the heart. I do, however think hes genuine in his fondness for the area, the place, people and club, whether he would be pulling any "clauses" in his contract should the likes of Liverpool come steaming in for him time will tell.

Next.

Agreed, at the end of the day, these statements can only help. I do not necessarily believe that every word is from the heart. I do, however think hes genuine in his fondness for the area, the place, people and club, whether he would be pulling any "clauses" in his contract should the likes of Liverpool come steaming in for him time will tell.

You have to see it as what it is. As a minimun it's good P/R, and there are enough people whinging on about Shepherds P/R - you would think they would be glad someone has something good to say about the club, and the area.

Either believe it or not, but don't knock it. If he means it and is happy in the area, and is genuinely wanting to show the club some loyalty, even better.

Most footballers, well British ones, and some foreigns one ie Srnicek, do develop a fondness for Newcastle, and who can blame them, its a genuine football area and if they do well they are feted wherever they go.

Next.

Agree with Leazes and Peasepud but we've reached the stage now where anything Owen says or does will be met with criticism by the sort of fans who seem to revel in being miserable, pesimistic and having nothing but contempt for anything or anyone related to NUFC.

I am far from optimistic myself about NUFC at the moment but it doesn't mean i'll whinge and moan about anything that said or done, especially when its something like Owen saying he wants to stay and that he and his family enjoy living here.

Anyone think it might carry more value after he's been in Newcastle for over a year? The bloke's honest, and now he's said he'll stay as long as he's welcome. I believe him.

I assume the disparaging posters in this thread would rather all Newcastle's signings to make a sincere appraisal of their footballing future and the area after a quick tour of the airport lounge?

Next.

Agree with Leazes and Peasepud but we've reached the stage now where anything Owen says or does will be met with criticism by the sort of fans who seem to revel in being miserable, pesimistic and having nothing but contempt for anything or anyone related to NUFC.

I am far from optimistic myself about NUFC at the moment but it doesn't mean i'll whinge and moan about anything that said or done, especially when its something like Owen saying he wants to stay and that he and his family enjoy living here.

Well said that man !

Next.

Well said that man !

OK LM, I'm with you on this one, Owen is out for a while and we just have to live with it. Whatever the case I just look forward to the guy repaying some of his £100k+ per week wage packet by turning up and turning on a few decent performances in a B&W shirt.

So what if no-one else wants the expensive mercenery bar steward, when he's fit and knocking in those goals, we'll ask what this was all about. We geordies are craving for a little bit of success and I'm less than optimistic but I will continue to support the TOON whatever.

We've put up with DYER-GATE for so long???

Next.

Thats why players flood to play for us, because of the backing they receive from true fans such as yourself.

You must be gutted that Owen signed for us, so fuck if no one else wanted him I fucking well did, suppose you think he delibrately got injured so he could sit on his arse and collect the wedge.

Fuck me with supporters like you who needs the mackems.

Owen will love it up here. Our club worshipping him and throwing money at him, probably willing to pay him 20mil over the next 7-8 years, and all he has to do is carry on playing golf, flying his helicopter, going on hoilday and playing the odd game of football in bewteen.

Owen will love it up here. Our club worshipping him and throwing money at him, probably willing to pay him 20mil over the next 7-8 years, and all he has to do is carry on playing golf, flying his helicopter, going on hoilday and playing the odd game of football in bewteen.

So there's absolutely no reason for him to be unfaithful and dishonest then. I'm confident he can't wait to get back playing again tbh.

I'm not going to criticise Owen for his latest bit of PR, but can I ask all the people on this thread who thinks it's so great, do they actually believe he would stay with NUFC if he had a better offer, e.g. playing for Arsenal on the same or more wages? He'd be off like a shot man, which means Sima was essentially right.

In retrospect, sigining Owen was a mistake imo, we put all our eggs in one basket which was subsequently dropped. I'm not convinced by his attitude or his comittment, and I'm not sure we'll be getting the same player back. And apparently if you're skeptical about him, you're not a true fan. :lol: Good job there is more, blind, adoring support in Newcastle than any other club I can think of then.

I'm not going to criticise Owen for his latest bit of PR, but can I ask all the people on this thread who thinks it's so great, do they actually believe he would stay with NUFC if he had a better offer, e.g. playing for Arsenal on the same or more wages? He'd be off like a shot man, which means Sima was essentially right.

In retrospect, sigining Owen was a mistake imo, we put all our eggs in one basket which was subsequently dropped. I'm not convinced by his attitude or his comittment, and I'm not sure we'll be getting the same player back. And apparently if you're skeptical about him, you're not a true fan. :lol: Good job there is more, blind, adoring support in Newcastle than any other club I can think of then.

Isn't hindsight wonderful. He may have had a reputation for being injury prone, but as the man says himself, he never had an operation before yet has had four in six months with us. No-one could have predicted that.

For once I agree with LM.