Wes Brown

Scottish Mag

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fullbacks, both left and right, are the priority imo. I know Nobby has done well sitting in at right back the last few games, but I think it has more to do with how badly Carr has been playing there to be honest. Nobbys positional sense and reading of the game have been excellent, but he's slow and can't tackle for shit so I would be looking to get someone else in. I'd still play him ahead of Carr like, which says a lot. Ramage doesn't look comfortable at all at left back, and he cost us a goal if you remember from falling on his arse a few weeks back trying to get onto his right. I don't blame him for it really, he's just like Zico Hughes, a CB doing an ok job at full back. As for the African fellow, he needs a rocket up his arse.

Only if Dyer is fit tbh. We look seriously unable to create anything most of the time this season and that's regardless of the opposition.

IMHO that is not down to the fact that we are missing a striker who can score goals or the ability in the team but rather down to the coaching and match tactics. The problem lies in midfield (and the hoofers in defence).

Of course the current strikers aren't giving the midfield too much options, but especially Dyer shows that it just needs an approach in taking the game at the opposition. The likes of Duff, N'Zogbia, Milner, Solano, Emre, Parker should normally be able to do the same.

As I said, I do expect our attacking game to pick up anyway, but I also expect the standard of our defensive display to vastly drop against better opposition. I know in which players I rather do put my hope in...

I agree with that but what you say about our strikers not giving the midfielders enough options worry's me the most.

Overall though I think we can get by with our shit defence for the rest of the season (providing Carr isn't playing) but I think we will struggle with our attack.

That said two fullbacks would be very close behind a striker on my list for exactly the reasons SLP has stated.

He's a decent player and would be much, much better if not for the massive amount of time he's spent out injured.... but that's the crux really, is it wise to buy a player that may rarely play?

I'd rather we got a decent defender in and I think Brown is better than anything we have right now. We have a stupidly low number of defenders in the first team squad, as illustrated by having to play Nobby at right back. As well as Brown, I think a left back is a must. I have no idea what's happening with Baba or Bernard but I'm not all that excited by the prospect of them coming back (unless Bernard has actually remembered how to play like he did before). If we had someone, like Bridge, I'm sure Ramage could perform much more comfortably at right back. Or we could play Taylor there with Bramble/Brown/Moore/Ramage in the middle.

I think once we're looking better at the back the shape, and the confidence, of the team will improve and we'll be able to get a lot more points. We have many talented midfielders and attackers, we just need them to do a bit more.

I think I've basically repeated what Isegrim said.

Edited by Walliver

Wes Brown 27 :) ???? Fook me!!!!111 No thanks.

I reckon some sort of swap with Citeh (best supported team in the history of football. Ever. FACT!) will happen with Distin + £1m coming here and Brambles going there.

Let's face it, something will have to happen soon with Brambles if his contract runs out in April (?) next year. He's worth a couple of mill, but not much more, so we can't just chuck it away. That's why I reckon on the Distin swap, as his contract is in the same position iirc.

That would leave any funds we do have available for a striker. Who? I don't know. Is it Forlan who plays for Villareal?? Swap him for Luque + £2m ????

There, sorted. All we need then would be a LB. A right back as well would be nice, but I don't think our finances can stretch that far.

As long as we get a striker imo.

i reckon he'd be a good buy

aye, and you think the board you call shit would conjure up 20m quid to buy the forwards we really need on top of the money for him, assuming you still stupidly think defenders is our main need and priority ... :)

aye, and you think the board you call shit would conjure up 20m quid to buy the forwards we really need on top of the money for him, assuming you still stupidly think defenders is our main need and priority ... :)

I've really missed this shit.

...Really?

I find him more irritating that the charvers who listen to tinny quality music on their phones at loud volume.

Wes Brown is a bout as durable as wet toilet paper, no thanks.

speaking of which, do you prefer a particular type of cloth?

In terms of skid sheet or wank mop ?

...Really?

I find him more irritating that the charvers who listen to tinny quality music on their phones at loud volume.

shame but I think people who expect a shit board of directors to have a bottomless pit of money to be irritating, and very stupid.

BTW, I'm also right. We need forwards.

shame but I think people who expect a shit board of directors to have a bottomless pit of money to be irritating, and very stupid.

"BTW, I'm also right. We need forwards.

as sweet as it is for you to try and drag me into this benal pissing contest, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

I don't doubt that the money that has been supplied by Fat Freddy and his cronies has been an impressive show of support for the managers that they have installed. However, I'll contest until the day I drawmy final breath that they've made good decisions; be they the appointment of managers, the acquisition of token players or whatever.

We do need forwards, we also need a back four. If you don't concede, you don't lose.

but please, don't let a different opinion change the direction you've chosen to blindly follow.

By your reckoning, we have a good board, strikers are the priority and Shepherd is the man to bring this home.

so I'm right, we need defenders, we need an upper echelon whose style and focus is more modern than that which we currently suffer.

think of it this way LM, if Shepherd was a Good chairmen, he could have quite easily steered a Title challenging side through the changes that have befallen the premiership. Under a good chairman, surely we would have at the very least kept pace with those around us, instead of falling by the wayside?

We've stagnated since he took over, and despite the money that he has thrown at the club, the problems remain. We're crippled by injuries year after year, our squad has little depth, our youth system is laughable and our public image is a national joke.

If I were the chairman of a company with those credentials, and gave a crap about it, I'd subtley remove myself from the equation.

Shepherd's pride is getting in the way of business.

I couldn't give a crap if he's suppplied us with money, don't care if the club has repeatedly got into European competition, or sporadically challenged for a top 3 space in the Premiership. I'd say those achievements have happened in spite of a bad chairman, rather than because of him.

Think of it this way, what progress did we make under Hall... how much Progress have we made since?

He chose the managerial replacements, he paid for shit players, he chose to play in front of cameras, instead of playing with a match fit squad.

Other than the support he's given his managers, quite what has he done to secure anything but contempt in my heart?

As the Beatles once put it.

"Can't buy me love, love

Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright

I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright

'Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

I'll give you all I got to give if you say you love me too

I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so

Can't buy me love, no no no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring and I'll be satisfied

Tell me that you want the kind of thing that money just can't buy

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love "

either way I know you'll fill a page with wonderful examples of how Shepherd has supplied every manager with substantial financial backing. However, He appointed them, they failed, how long before their failures are proven to be his responsibility? I employ an idiot to mind the till and he fucks up, surely it's as much my fault as it is his?

I employ the wrong man for the Job, it's my fault. I misjudged the climate, the needs of the club, the mood of the fans..

Souness, Gullit Roeder, all the wrong men for the Job, all Shepherds appointments... how many monumental fuck up will you allow him?

Token signings, awful PR, embarrassing meeja quotes... other thant he cash I'm failing to see a good point....

I genuinely don't know why I've spent 5-10 minutes replying... you won't take it in, far brighter men than I have tried to get a similar message across and you'd rather focus on what you hold to be true than let a little thing like reason and argument get in the way of a good tirade.

so, aware of the futility I ask you a question. Other than financial backing... what has Freddy Shepherd brought to Newcastle United?

"BTW, I'm also right. We need forwards.

as sweet as it is for you to try and drag me into this benal pissing contest, I'd like to point out a couple of things.

I don't doubt that the money that has been supplied by Fat Freddy and his cronies has been an impressive show of support for the managers that they have installed. However, I'll contest until the day I drawmy final breath that they've made good decisions; be they the appointment of managers, the acquisition of token players or whatever.

We do need forwards, we also need a back four. If you don't concede, you don't lose.

but please, don't let a different opinion change the direction you've chosen to blindly follow.

By your reckoning, we have a good board, strikers are the priority and Shepherd is the man to bring this home.

so I'm right, we need defenders, we need an upper echelon whose style and focus is more modern than that which we currently suffer.

think of it this way LM, if Shepherd was a Good chairmen, he could have quite easily steered a Title challenging side through the changes that have befallen the premiership. Under a good chairman, surely we would have at the very least kept pace with those around us, instead of falling by the wayside?

We've stagnated since he took over, and despite the money that he has thrown at the club, the problems remain. We're crippled by injuries year after year, our squad has little depth, our youth system is laughable and our public image is a national joke.

If I were the chairman of a company with those credentials, and gave a crap about it, I'd subtley remove myself from the equation.

Shepherd's pride is getting in the way of business.

I couldn't give a crap if he's suppplied us with money, don't care if the club has repeatedly got into European competition, or sporadically challenged for a top 3 space in the Premiership. I'd say those achievements have happened in spite of a bad chairman, rather than because of him.

Think of it this way, what progress did we make under Hall... how much Progress have we made since?

He chose the managerial replacements, he paid for shit players, he chose to play in front of cameras, instead of playing with a match fit squad.

Other than the support he's given his managers, quite what has he done to secure anything but contempt in my heart?

As the Beatles once put it.

"Can't buy me love, love

Can't buy me love

I'll buy you a diamond ring my friend if it makes you feel alright

I'll get you anything my friend if it makes you feel alright

'Cause I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

I'll give you all I got to give if you say you love me too

I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love

Can't buy me love, everybody tells me so

Can't buy me love, no no no, no

Say you don't need no diamond ring and I'll be satisfied

Tell me that you want the kind of thing that money just can't buy

I don't care too much for money, money can't buy me love "

either way I know you'll fill a page with wonderful examples of how Shepherd has supplied every manager with substantial financial backing. However, He appointed them, they failed, how long before their failures are proven to be his responsibility? I employ an idiot to mind the till and he fucks up, surely it's as much my fault as it is his?

I employ the wrong man for the Job, it's my fault. I misjudged the climate, the needs of the club, the mood of the fans..

Souness, Gullit Roeder, all the wrong men for the Job, all Shepherds appointments... how many monumental fuck up will you allow him?

Token signings, awful PR, embarrassing meeja quotes... other thant he cash I'm failing to see a good point....

I genuinely don't know why I've spent 5-10 minutes replying... you won't take it in, far brighter men than I have tried to get a similar message across and you'd rather focus on what you hold to be true than let a little thing like reason and argument get in the way of a good tirade.

so, aware of the futility I ask you a question. Other than financial backing... what has Freddy Shepherd brought to Newcastle United?

eerrr.....trophy winning managers ?

If you have a problem with appointing trophy winning managers, and backing them with the money to get on with the job, what criteria would you adopt ?

This is a fundamental, and serious, question, that I have asked on numerous occasions, and so far all the bright sparks that criticise - through hindsight and nothing else - have still not answered this question. Why don't you set the ball rolling.

And - regular european football over the last decade, and overall since 1992, suggest that the choices haven't been too bad ........ no Wenger or Ferguson, but we will see how Arsenal and manu get on when they move on ... as always, you are totally unrealistic, a failing of many people on this board.