Group hopeful on Newcastle buyout

Jimbo

The Belgravia Group remains keen on a deal for Newcastle and would like to be in control for the transfer window.

The Jersey-based group was expected to launch a £235m takeover earlier this month that failed to materialise.

But a spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are still in talks which may or may not lead to a deal but from our perspective we are still very keen to do a deal.

"The transfer window is approaching and I think from both parties' perspective that is something to focus the minds."

Investment group Belgravia made its interest in the club public in the summer but so far the company has yet to make an offer for the Premiership club.

And Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd told BBC Sport: "They made a statement in August saying they may or may not make a bid.

"They can say what they like but they have yet to make an offer and until they make an offer we cannot say anything."

But the Belgravia spokesman confirmed that it is still interested in a takeover.

He added: "Were we to make an offer or were we to cease our talks or they were to cease talks with us they would have to make an announcement to the stock exchange.

"None of which has been done so you can presume that talks are ongoing.

"We are in discussions with the board of Newcastle which means we are talking to all the shareholders."

The Magpies have been the subject of takeover rumours for months, with former chairman Sir John Hall admitting he has held discussions about selling his 28.5% share in the club.

Current chairman Shepherd appears more reluctant to sell and has been steadily increasing his share in the club to 28.01%.

The Belgravia spokesman confirmed that it would be looking to buy out both Hall and Shepherd.

He added: "I think Polygon expressed an interest in buying one of Hall's or Shepherd's stake but we have said all along that we are interested in buying the whole thing.

"Because it is a quoted company that means making an offer for all the shares in the company.

"Hopefully we can come to terms on a deal that suits everybody - when that point comes Newcastle PLC will have to make a statement.

"It would be premature and disrespectful to the fans to talk about what we may of may not want to do as we don't own it.

"Were we to make an offer you have to disclose what financing plans are and what you are going to do and at that point we will outline in detail what our plans for the club would be.

"If you want to make money out of football clubs you need a successful team on the pitch.

"But Newcastle has a fantastic infrastructure, a fantastic fanbase, they are a big club, have a developed ground with good facilities and are one of the premier football brands in Europe."

"In an ideal world things would happen sooner rather than later but negotiations take time.

Is this so they can sell off half our sqaud and make money? I thought thats what these groups did? Moved in and stripped companies of their assets.

How on Earth would they be able to make money doing that? If money is purely your game you don't buy a football club tbh.

Is this so they can sell off half our sqaud and make money? I thought thats what these groups did? Moved in and stripped companies of their assets.

Spend 235M in order to sell of our squad and make maybe 40M?

Aye, seems logical.

How on Earth would they be able to make money doing that? If money is purely your game you don't buy a football club tbh.

Exactly. The only way to make money in football is through success and the way we have hope of that is by investment.

As for stripping our assets, do we actually have that many? Our squad value is worth considerably less than I think most of us supporters would like to think.

I'm really unsure what to think about it. They have one priority, to make money for themselves. Though its sounds good saying to make money in football you need to make a successful team, it still makes me nervous about it.

The only possible way to make money in with a football club (other than buying it very cheap and selling for a lot more like what SJH is going to) is to have a succesfull team.

If they sold all our players they wouldn't get more than £50m and would have to find new players from somewhere so that we could still opperate (closing us down would cost more money).

If they put the ticket prices up they will have to provide a team that is worth paying the additional money for. Even with our fans there is starting to be bigger and bigger gaps in the stadium with people getting sick of paying the money to watch dross. Season tickets will simply not sell if they massively rise the prices.

For me the only risk in this buyout is that a new board is even more incompetant than the current one.

I'm really unsure what to think about it. They have one priority, to make money for themselves. Though its sounds good saying to make money in football you need to make a successful team, it still makes me nervous about it.

no different to fat fred tbh.

the most importrant thing is that they're not simpletons, like our current chairman.

the most importrant thing is that they're not simpletons, like our current chairman.

Not quite true. They could quite easily say they wouldnt invest (in players) if we made losses in any period. Now WE all know that would never work as you would weaken your position and probably start a downward spiral.

Then again, they seem to have suggested they would invest in the team initially. Their comments also suggest they would want to build a successful team. Then again, they are currently trying to sell themselves to the shareholders.

Not quite true. They could quite easily say they wouldnt invest (in players) if we made losses in any period. Now WE all know that would never work as you would weaken your position and probably start a downward spiral.

Then again, they seem to have suggested they would invest in the team initially. Their comments also suggest they would want to build a successful team. Then again, they are currently trying to sell themselves to the shareholders.

The downward spiral you describe - are we not already in it?

I'm not unsure about it at all, I want Shepherd and his cronies to fuck off at the earliest possible opportunity. Let's face it, should we ever have any success under Shepherd (which I doubt), it would come thanks to a huge stroke of luck and not because a club of Newcastle's size is run like it should be - professionally from top to bottom. I hope the current hierarchy take the money that is on the table and take their pathetic parochialism and narrow mindsets with them.

Edited by Bombadil

One major attraction for any buyer is the fact that over the ground is almost always packed so their theory may be to hike up ticket prices while expecting the fans to pay it. However if they've seen the attendances recently they should realise that people are no longer prepared to go to the game religiously.

I'm not unsure about it at all, I want Shepherd and his cronies to fuck off at the earliest possible opportunity. Let's face it, should we ever have any success under Shepherd (which I doubt), it would come thanks to a huge stroke of luck and not because a club of Newcastle's size is run like it should be - professionally from top to bottom. I hope the current hierarchy take the money that is on the table and take their pathetic parochialism and narrow mindsets with them.

Total agreement. The only other way fatty will go is when he has to retire in 6 years time (written in his contract as per the accounts) and I wouldn't be surprised if the sneaky twat gets that stipulation re-written before then anyhow.

One major attraction for any buyer is the fact that over the ground is almost always packed so their theory may be to hike up ticket prices while expecting the fans to pay it. However if they've seen the attendances recently they should realise that people are no longer prepared to go to the game religiously.

I think this is the key point. Gone are the days of the 5000+ waiting list. The football has been crap for the last 3 or 4 seasons and the casual fan has been put off. Hiking up the prices will only alienate more loyal fans and would result in reduced income.

If they want to increase prices they have to provide a product people are willing to pay for.

I think this is the key point. Gone are the days of the 5000+ waiting list. The football has been crap for the last 3 or 4 seasons and the casual fan has been put off. Hiking up the prices will only alienate more loyal fans and would result in reduced income.

If they want to increase prices they have to provide a product people are willing to pay for.

True, but I reckon a new board may give us a temporary lift with at least next year's season tickets selling out. Especially if they bought in a top notch manager. From there it's a matter of keeping the ball rolling, so to speak.

I still don't think they can raise the prices too much anyway. We are not based in London for example, and most of our supporters come from the surrounding area so don't earn the wages of fans from down south. There can't be much scope for getting much more money out of us in terms of ticket sales.

I still don't think they can raise the prices too much anyway. We are not based in London for example, and most of our supporters come from the surrounding area so don't earn the wages of fans from down south. There can't be much scope for getting much more money out of us in terms of ticket sales.

Actually, I agree. I can't see how this can work out well financially at all. I guess they'll want to cash in on the franchise somehow but I would have thought most the potential was already being exploited?

Is there any chance the ground could be sold btw?