Cooking

Gemmill

Bread is horrifically caloric though, isn't it? I probably lost half a stone just by cutting it out my diet (except weekend brunch).

You can eat virtually anything as long as its moderation though.

Cooking today included.

Pizza base sauce, pizzas, bolognese and of course bread buns. :)

ynu8y6ub.jpg

asy3yda9.jpg

uty4a4yn.jpg

ajy7y9ag.jpg

ezute7ah.jpg

Moderation?

:lol:

'The CT diet, eating for 40, drinking for 2'

I'm confused now, sure TS already said happy birthday and CT said congrats for about the pending new arrival. Let no one say this forum is full of demented old bastards.

Anyway, today's the day for the roast pork. Setting up the tripod and the buttered slice this morning.

:lol:

'The CT diet, eating for 40, drinking for 2'

I'm confused now, sure TS already said happy birthday and CT said congrats for about the pending new arrival. Let no one say this forum is full of demented old bastards.

Anyway, today's the day for the roast pork. Setting up the tripod and the buttered slice this morning.

So what menu / sides did you decide on?

Creamy Savoy cabbage, if there are Savoys in the market. If not green beans a la fist.

Still not decided whether i make that sauce that Ausman recommended or just go with a straightforward apple sauce. Going to see what sort of apples are in the market later. I'm a bit worried about creamy cabbage, gravy from the pork AND another sauce.

I want the crackling and pork to be the main event, too many saucy things on the side (oo-er) could detract. I'm also opening some vintage Burgundy which per bottle is more expensive than all the food put together. More chance of it clashing the more intense flavours that go in.

So, the choice comes down to roast potatoes or sauteed. I will cook the potatoes early and then with 40 mins to go, if the oven needs a blast to get the crackling going, will whack in the pots to roast them. They can carry on once the meat is resting.

Creamy Savoy cabbage, if there are Savoys in the market. If not green beans a la fist.

Still not decided whether i make that sauce that Ausman recommended or just go with a straightforward apple sauce. Going to see what sort of apples are in the market later. I'm a bit worried about creamy cabbage, gravy from the pork AND another sauce.

I want the crackling and pork to be the main event, too many saucy things on the side (oo-er) could detract. I'm also opening some vintage Burgundy which per bottle is more expensive than all the food put together. More chance of it clashing the more intense flavours that go in.

So, the choice comes down to roast potatoes or sauteed. I will cook the potatoes early and then with 40 mins to go, if the oven needs a blast to get the crackling going, will whack in the pots to roast them. They can carry on once the meat is resting.

Lose the veg. Hog roast and wine. Done.

It was fucking magnificent. Crackling was perfect on the high side of the roast, less good towards the bottom. Did an apple sauce so didn't do ausman's Normande cider thing. The meat was ridiculously good, was a 4kg piece so roasted it for 5 hours, could have done more. The wine was amazing (savigny les beaunes) and we had a tarte tatin for afters so I opened the half bottle of 1989 Sauternes premier cru which was a gift from the father in law. Rounded off with 1991 Coal Ila Mackillops choice. Fucking lush.