Cooking

Gemmill

Nice bit of pork rubbed with crushed fennel seeds.

ve3a5yte.jpgetuma9y4.jpge5eneru7.jpg

Was going to copy Jamie and serve with diced stir fried celeriac ...... But on peeling I quickly discovered that this is the root of celery (who knew?) and we all hate celery.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Rice.

I understand why I should rinse it before cooking, but why does it need rinsing after cooking?

It doesn't. Give it a wash and a massage before you cook it (until the water runs pretty clear).

Drain the rice, whack it in the pan with a bit of salt, a drop of vegetable oil and anything else you want, such as cinammon stick, fenugreek seeds, star anise, saffron, cardamom pods - basically whatever flavour you want it to take on. Pour on some freshly boiled water from the kettle, enough to just cover the rice. Bring the pan to the verge of boiling, then stick on the on the pan (I like to use aluminium foil under the pan lid to create a proper tight seal). Turn the heat down as low as it will go, then leave it for 12-15 minutes.

Take off the heat and leave, without taking the lid off, for a further 5-10 minutes.

No washing needed, just perfect fluffy, individually grained rice.

You might need to experiment with the amount of water and how long you leave on the heat, but once you have a method that works for your pans and hob, you're laughing.

Aye, baking it makes sense, as it's gentle consistent heat.

It's amazing how many people think rice is just something you whack in a pan and boil to fuck. I have a mate who claims to "love" rice, yet his fare ranges from crunchy under-done grains right up to mashed rice. It's piss easy to make, but piss easy to mess it up if you don't think about what you're doing.

Just had a bash at this fancy rice lark.

Chopped an onion a carrot some garlic and ginger. Fried in a pan before adding the rinsed brown rice. Covered with chicken stock, lid on for 15ish minutes til water was gone.

Tasted bitty so covered in more boiling water and simmered til that was gone.

Still bitty - Bin :(

Just had a bash at this fancy rice lark.

Chopped an onion a carrot some garlic and ginger. Fried in a pan before adding the rinsed brown rice. Covered with chicken stock, lid on for 15ish minutes til water was gone.

Tasted bitty so covered in more boiling water and simmered til that was gone.

Still bitty - Bin :(

Didn't use enough stock for brown rice, must use at least double the stock in comparison to brown rice.