Materialism: The "What have you bought?" Thread

Tooj

Shame theyve stopped making the RS32

I was about to place an order for the GT TSI but they've put it on a grade out of my reach :icon_lol:

Test drove one - absolutely fantastic car :D

Seeing as the big end bearings on my A3 decided to lunch themselves on the M25 this morning, I've stuck my order in for this....... :icon_lol:

I tell a lie, it wasn't the bearings. The flywheel exploded apparently! :D

Fuck off?

For a flywheel to explode you have serious case of claiming against the manufacturer.

I've seen a vehicle where the flywheel came loose, sheared the bolts and then proceeded to make it's way through the bell housing/chassis rail/body of the vehicle. It went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Well it's a company car so I'm not going to be pushing too hard in terms of compensation but yeah, I was as surprised as you are.

The AA guy who recovered me off the motorway shook his head and said it's lower engine trouble, most likely the main bearings and the noise I was hearing would be the pistons slapping against the bores as the crank wallowed away inside the case.

Lease company called me yesterday and advised that parts were on order and would be fitted by end of play Friday. Told them I expected it to be terminal and asked what parts and they replied "new clutch and flywheel" and that the garage would phone me to discuss in further detail.

Sure enough they called and repeated the same. When I asked what actually happened he replied "your flywheel exploded and destroyed the clutch in the process". I asked if the gearbox and/or crankshaft was damage at all and he replied "unbelievably no". Said they unbolted the gearbox from the engine and the pieces of flywheel literally fell out - reckons the pressure plate for the clutch was holding it all in place.

The thought of what you witnesed has just made me shudder. All I had to do was limp it to the hard shoulder.

They've probably seen the same thing a dozen times before. A diesel engine produces a lot more torque than its petrol equivalent and this turning force comes in waves as the engine fires. To smooth this out and reduce the pressure on the transmission a dual-mass flywheel is fitted (basically two flywheels with some damping inbetween). This system is less robust than a regular flywheel and has a tendency to break. If you're under warranty or it's a company car, not the end of the world. If you're paying for it yourself though be prepared for a fright.

Seeing as the big end bearings on my A3 decided to lunch themselves on the M25 this morning, I've stuck my order in for this....... :icon_lol:

I tell a lie, it wasn't the bearings. The flywheel exploded apparently! :D

Fuck off?

For a flywheel to explode you have serious case of claiming against the manufacturer.

I've seen a vehicle where the flywheel came loose, sheared the bolts and then proceeded to make it's way through the bell housing/chassis rail/body of the vehicle. It went through it like a hot knife through butter.

Well it's a company car so I'm not going to be pushing too hard in terms of compensation but yeah, I was as surprised as you are.

The AA guy who recovered me off the motorway shook his head and said it's lower engine trouble, most likely the main bearings and the noise I was hearing would be the pistons slapping against the bores as the crank wallowed away inside the case.

Lease company called me yesterday and advised that parts were on order and would be fitted by end of play Friday. Told them I expected it to be terminal and asked what parts and they replied "new clutch and flywheel" and that the garage would phone me to discuss in further detail.

Sure enough they called and repeated the same. When I asked what actually happened he replied "your flywheel exploded and destroyed the clutch in the process". I asked if the gearbox and/or crankshaft was damage at all and he replied "unbelievably no". Said they unbolted the gearbox from the engine and the pieces of flywheel literally fell out - reckons the pressure plate for the clutch was holding it all in place.

The thought of what you witnesed has just made me shudder. All I had to do was limp it to the hard shoulder.

They've probably seen the same thing a dozen times before. A diesel engine produces a lot more torque than its petrol equivalent and this turning force comes in waves as the engine fires. To smooth this out and reduce the pressure on the transmission a dual-mass flywheel is fitted (basically two flywheels with some damping inbetween). This system is less robust than a regular flywheel and has a tendency to break. If you're under warranty or it's a company car, not the end of the world. If you're paying for it yourself though be prepared for a fright.

And there in lies why you are a luck man Craig. The vehicle I saw it happen to was a diesel but it was a prime mover (truck), obviously a lot more torque but a fuck off load more meat in the bell housing and chassis rail.

I'd still not rather see the worse possible outcome of it happening in the flywheel design the Dr is talking about.

Time for an auto maybe?

80's Fancy dress night out coming up.

STYLE182-1.jpg

AND

LTS%20Leggings.jpg

AND

3881892f-1dde-462c-b9ef-e7d1c2e4a09a.jpg

AND

burton-2-pack-pink-neon-sweatbands.jpg

EQUALS

bret_hart.jpg

I already have a leather jacket, gonna sew on pink hearts, and lash some gel into my hair.

No, shutup, you're gay.