The Irish

newcastlebroon

Funnily enough very quiet about their collusion with the Nazi's and the aid they gave fleeing SS and NSDAP party members. Also Ewerk you aren't Irish Tyrone is in the UK.

I think you'll find I have dual citizenship and an Irish passport cuntface.

That will be the legendary Irish charm then. :baby:

Well I'm already well aware of your views of my country and the "tim cunts" in it so excuse me if I think you're a prick.

Anyways I wasn't aware of any Nazi collusion with the Irish, any chance you could elaborate on what you've said?

You have no idea what my views on your country are.

Quite frankly I can no longer be bothered talking about your views or what I perceive them to be on Ireland anyway.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think anyone English/British pointing to wartime Nazi collaboration as a means of having a go at the Irish is on pretty rocky ground anyway. Firstly, if it did happen, it's not as though the Irish involved would have known what was happening in Germany in terms of the death camps as this only became known about near the end of the war. Secondly, we've got a lot more skeletons in our closet.

Funnily enough very quiet about their collusion with the Nazi's and the aid they gave fleeing SS and NSDAP party members. Also Ewerk you aren't Irish Tyrone is in the UK.

Well I'm already well aware of your views of my country and the "tim cunts" in it so excuse me if I think you're a prick.

Anyways I wasn't aware of any Nazi collusion with the Irish, any chance you could elaborate on what you've said?

My politics Tutor Dr Jim Smith said there was stuff being released soon which threw questions on Ireland's behaviour towards the Nazi's. However it is a matter of record that Winston Churchill offered to give Northern Ireland up for re union with the south in return for access to Ireland's naval basis. Eamon Devilera (sp) the man in charge at the time refused the offer saying "why pay CHurchuill when Hitler will give it to me for free"

Well forgive me for being sceptical until I see some supporting evidence. Yes I'll admit that Ireland could have done more to help the Jewish refugees but the same could be said for many western countries and is hardly an endorsement of Hitler's policies. And you can forgive the Irish for being unwilling to fight with the British given that they received no thanks for their help during WW1.

I think Ireland's abstention from WWII is a real blot against their copybook (to put it mildly). Nowt for the post-war generations to reproach themselves over tho of course.

To cite a lack of thanks after WWI as being justification however is crass to say the least.

I think anyone English/British pointing to wartime Nazi collaboration as a means of having a go at the Irish is on pretty rocky ground anyway. Firstly, if it did happen, it's not as though the Irish involved would have known what was happening in Germany in terms of the death camps as this only became known about near the end of the war. Secondly, we've got a lot more skeletons in our closet.

Aye thats very true. We should point at the French instead tbh.

My politics Tutor Dr Jim Smith said there was stuff being released soon which threw questions on Ireland's behaviour towards the Nazi's. However it is a matter of record that Winston Churchill offered to give Northern Ireland up for re union with the south in return for access to Ireland's naval basis. Eamon Devilera (sp) the man in charge at the time refused the offer saying "why pay CHurchuill when Hitler will give it to me for free"

Well forgive me for being sceptical until I see some supporting evidence. Yes I'll admit that Ireland could have done more to help the Jewish refugees but the same could be said for many western countries and is hardly an endorsement of Hitler's policies. And you can forgive the Irish for being unwilling to fight with the British given that they received no thanks for their help during WW1.

They weren't asked to fight. Just provide naval basis. And nobody get's thanks from the british govt for fighting. They treat all of their soldiers like crap. I have always said if the IRA and affiliates had just targeted the politicians Ireland would have united years ago. And would have had the support of the mainland.

Plus I don't think the Irish were in a position to go against Britain.

A lot was made of the condolences offered to the German ambassador by De Valera on Hitler's death but that was out of courtesy rather than any Nazi sympathies.

Plus I don't think the Irish were in a position to go against Britain.

A lot was made of the condolences offered to the German ambassador by De Valera on Hitler's death but that was out of courtesy rather than any Nazi sympathies.

I think he was blinded a bit by his hatred of all things British and Mr Churchill in particular. But hey it's not like I haven't been blinded by that kind of stuff in the past.

Aye, granted he wasn't too fond of the British but put into context I'm sure you can understand why. Plus he had internal Irish politics to contend with and colluding with the British wouldn't have gone down well.

Not to mention the fact that the Irish army would have been very little use to the Allies and would've left us exposed to invasion which in turn would've left Britain vulnerable from the east and west.

Or the Swiss. :baby:

Where were the Jamaicans when we needed them tbh?

Fighting for the allies. All the colonies provided men.

Or the Swiss. :lol:

Fighting for the allies. All the colonies provided men.

:baby:

I know that. I was taking the piss.

Was Pele Jamaican or from Trinidad or somewhere else?

Jamaica I think. He learnt his skills on the streets doing keepy-ups with oranges. This must have seemed like offensive wastefulness at the time to the British POW's, who generally only had an orange and banana for their main xmas boxes!

At least the Jormans are getting away scot-free here... :lol:

Ireland's role in the Second World War is a bit of a tricky one. People are quick to point to issues such as IRA members aiding German U-boats, and the fact that Eammon De Valera signed a book of condolences when Hitler died. Both are true, but what is also true is that Irish intelligence passed on information to the British. Many in the Irish government - and also amongst the general population believed that they would be better off with a Allied victory than a Nazi one. Had the Nazis beaten Britain, then Europe would have been subjugated under Nazi rule. Eastern Europe would have become part of the Greater German Reich. Ireland would probably have gained Northern Ireland at Britain's expence, but both Britain and Ireland, along with the rest of Western Europe would be puppet states, doing exactly as Germany wanted. Moreover, would Northern Ireland's absorbtion into a united Ireland end the problems? No, because the Unionists would probably create havoc both in the North, and also in other parts of Ireland.

As it was, although still part of the British Commonwealth until 1949, Ireland was independent as the Irish Free State. A British victory would see Ireland's independence remain. They would not be a Nazi puppet state, and planned to leave the Commonwealth, becoming a full Republic with the ability to negotiate and talk with Britain over the problem of Northern Ireland. This of course all happened, and it's crucial to remember that the IRA did not represent the Irish government (just as the various Unionist thugs and murderers did not represent the British government). There were some terrible, tragic and tense times, but through it all the two countries were talking. Had the Nazis won and both Britain and Ireland were Nazi puppets, this would not have been possible. Ireland would have gained the north, but at a terrible expence.

There was a letter in the Metro the other day where some cockney twat stated the North of England was a drain on London and the Home counties, and they'd be better if they jettisoned us. I take it you sympathise with this viewpoint too?

You seem to contradict yourself a bit mind, what with wanting to fuck Scotland off, whatever that means, yet singing the praises of Glasgow the other day. Personally I have always felt much more affinity with Edinburgh than I have with London mind, it seems to be culturally much more similar and is twice as near, and given the choice, I know where I'd rather live.

I know what you're saying, but to be fair, both England and Scotland shafted Northumbria. Edinburgh is as much Northumbrian as Newcastle - but the Scots went and took it.

The Scots make me sick, bleating on about the English, when they did the exact same thing to Northumbria.

If you want to know what to do. Declare independence and take back all Northumbrian land. Whether it was stolen by England or Scotland makes no difference, both are thieving bastards.

Edited by Tom_NUFC

Ireland's role in the Second World War is a bit of a tricky one. People are quick to point to issues such as IRA members aiding German U-boats, and the fact that Eammon De Valera signed a book of condolences when Hitler died. Both are true, but what is also true is that Irish intelligence passed on information to the British. Many in the Irish government - and also amongst the general population believed that they would be better off with a Allied victory than a Nazi one. Had the Nazis beaten Britain, then Europe would have been subjugated under Nazi rule. Eastern Europe would have become part of the Greater German Reich. Ireland would probably have gained Northern Ireland at Britain's expence, but both Britain and Ireland, along with the rest of Western Europe would be puppet states, doing exactly as Germany wanted. Moreover, would Northern Ireland's absorbtion into a united Ireland end the problems? No, because the Unionists would probably create havoc both in the North, and also in other parts of Ireland.

No punchlines required. :lol:

Edited by manc-mag

No punchlines required. :lol:

:lol::lol:

:lol:cunt.

Guest stevieintoon

I don't think anyone should feel ashamed about anything they haven't done personally. Having said that, I would imagine that England bears some responsibility for the sectarianism we see in Northern Ireland and Scotland due to it colonial past, wouldn't you?

There was a letter in the Metro the other day where some cockney twat stated the North of England was a drain on London and the Home counties, and they'd be better if they jettisoned us. I take it you sympathise with this viewpoint too?

You seem to contradict yourself a bit mind, what with wanting to fuck Scotland off, whatever that means, yet singing the praises of Glasgow the other day. Personally I have always felt much more affinity with Edinburgh than I have with London mind, it seems to be culturally much more similar and is twice as near, and given the choice, I know where I'd rather live.

What a complete bell end you are. Praising Glasgow doesn't mean I want them to be part of my country you idiot. I praise Steven Taylor's contribution, it doesn't mean I want to shag him. The South wanting to "jettison" the North of England, is just ridiculous. Hibernia or Eire as an island was and is a seperate entity to ourselves, my belief is we should have nothing to do with it, and one the greatest mistakes we ever made, was retaining the "six counties" as part of the empire.

It's patently obvious what I mean by "fuck Scotland off", fucking Wordsworth you patronising wank, personally I can see how you are better suited by somewhere like Edinburgh as opposed to Glasgow, not as many fakes in the West ("another generalisation etc...." tosser).

Yes, I think you'd be better suited in a more conservative city like Edinburgh