sat nav too good to be true?

zico martin

I'd guess its a discontinued model on clearance (I see they are out of stock).

Medion make budget-end electronics but some of their stuff is good. They also make a lot of the special deals stuff for Aldi.

Have a look at their own site:

Medion Shop

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

That link I've posted seems to take you automatically to the most expensive one. Click Back to see the cheaper ones.

My mate has a Medion PC and it's the business. I've got some MP3 player speakers which are also superb.

jellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :lol:

That link I've posted seems to take you automatically to the most expensive one. Click Back to see the cheaper ones.

My mate has a Medion PC and it's the business. I've got some MP3 player speakers which are also superb.

jellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :razz:

the tesco here in swansea still has stock of them and my father in law has just bought one!

I know nothing about sat nav though and was wondering what I wouldnt be geeting at this price compared to the more expensive ones. I mean a map's a map isnt it?

:lol:

Well, Ive had a few different ones now. There are some features on some that others dont have. For example, my current one is great as I can ask it where the nearest service station is. As I regularly drive around places Im not familiar with this can be really useful when low on fuel. It can also tell you nearest hotels, hospitals, points of interest and so on.

Another good feature is the reroute. when you tell it how much of a detour you want to make in miles, and it works out a different route for you.

I think most also have fastest or shortest route.

Looking at that one, while I dont know the model or the brand, its spec actually sounds canny. Plugs into your lighter/12v socket. You can search by street or post code, has dynamic routing so if you go the wrong way it will adjust its route to correct you (great when coming off route during traffic jams), has poi's which can be handy if you like travelling. Also has safety camera wearning built in. Just remember for this to work, you need to plug the satnav into your pc every now and again to update the locations. They dont sense when there is a camera, but have the camera locations stored in memory. They then beep as you approach one. Some also make you subscribe to get the updates.

Im familiar with Tomtoms and if this is nearly as good as they are then its quite a deal.

• 3 years later...
If my sat nav only has UK maps, where can i go for maps of other countries to upload?

Do I have to pay for them?

I'd suggest going to the website of your manufacturer.

A good idea....but i'm at work and don't know the manufacturer so i thought i'd ask.

If my sat nav only has UK maps, where can i go for maps of other countries to upload?

Depending on the make of your sat nav you may be able to find a torrent with all the maps you require. I did it when I put the Tom Tom software on my sat nav.

Depending on the make of your sat nav you may be able to find a torrent with all the maps you require. I did it when I put the Tom Tom software on my sat nav.

That's good to hear ;)

Cheers

My current one is great as I can ask it where the nearest service station is. As I regularly drive around places Im not familiar with this can be really useful when low on fuel.

My tomtom does that, normally great, until I visited South Wales and it took me to 4 closed down garages in a row, a couple had been seemingly closed for years. This obviously did not help the petrol levels in the motor and led to a wee bit of squeeky bum.

My current one is great as I can ask it where the nearest service station is. As I regularly drive around places Im not familiar with this can be really useful when low on fuel.

My tomtom does that, normally great, until I visited South Wales and it took me to 4 closed down garages in a row, a couple had been seemingly closed for years. This obviously did not help the petrol levels in the motor and led to a wee bit of squeeky bum.

Which is where the 'Andrex search ' facility comes into it's own ;)

Sat Navs are great for motorways and city centres (if they're up-to-date). Not so good in areas like the Lake District where my Tom Tom at least can't tell the difference between a good minor road and a mud track.

Don't know, but did somebody once tell you that you had to pay to start a new thread?

Learn some respect around here you little fecker, you and your "68" posts ;)

Don't know, but did somebody once tell you that you had to pay to start a new thread?

Learn some respect around here you little fecker, you and your "68" posts <_<

Quality not quantity, Mr. 717. ;)

All sat nav maps voices etc are available at any good torrent store. I have a tom tom and one extra feature that's good about it is your phone connects via blue tooth and works as a hands free so know stupid gizmo in your ear.

;) what happened to the "knowledge" like?

All sat nav maps voices etc are available at any good torrent store. I have a tom tom and one extra feature that's good about it is your phone connects via blue tooth and works as a hands free so know stupid gizmo in your ear.

;) what happened to the "knowledge" like?

I have a crap memory..........

As most of my posts confirm.