Do you feel safe?

bobbyshinton

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never feel threatened or owt. I do to a certain extent when I drink in other towns and cities though, although it's more slight paranoia than fear. I think it's because you become more aware of your accent.

Never feel threatened or owt. I do to a certain extent when I drink in other towns and cities though, although it's more slight paranoia than fear. I think it's because you become more aware of your accent.

I find myself playing up my accent (which is basically nonexistent) whenever I order at the bar or talk to randoms in a pub in Newcastle. It's a bit daft really but I find myself doing it instinctively as a kind of defence mechanism against being taken for a shandy-drinking southerner.

I find myself playing up my accent (which is basically nonexistent) whenever I order at the bar or talk to randoms in a pub in Newcastle. It's a bit daft really but I find myself doing it instinctively as a kind of defence mechanism against being taken for a shandy-drinking southerner.

Ah but, I reckon it's probably quite natural as well, you come back up here and your accent probably comes back to you. Happens a lot to people, to a certain extent they 'lose' their accent but when they're in the company of 'lercals' it just naturally comes back.

Guest Patrokles

I never get into bed with anyone older than 14, to be honest.

FUCKING DISGRACE.

It was summer camp. He said he was having nightmares sleeping alone. :D

Edited by Patrokles

My favourite pub is usually occupied by pissed rugby fans. Quite often (especially after football) there's police swarming all over the place.

After the Portsmouth game I happened to step inside to see a bloke who must've been 7" barring the door and being bodily dragged away by 3 blokes. :D

12 year olds carrying knives?

Unprovoked gang attacks for showing dis-respect? (re. above)

Total spineless attitude of the watching general public? (re. above)

Total innefectitude (sp?) of the police?

In a word yes.

I took karate in my younger days, and I know abit about psychology and conflict resolution, so when I'm not pissed up, I don't feel particularly threatened one on one. With groups, it's mostly about recognising and avoiding situations, and not being afraid to back down / leg it when needed. Thankfully I've never needed to wade in to help a mate against uneven odds (which I think I would do) so I don't really know what I would do then. When I am pissed up, the defiant arsehole in me overides the sensible tactician in me, and I've had a couple of scrapes because of it.

Whenever I see anyone dodgy walking towards me I put my hand in my coat as though I'm reaching for a gun.

Do you look like the kind of bloke that might have a gun? Because believe it or not, muggers tend to pick up on these sorts of things... call it tradecraft if you will

I like to think I'm clever/paranoid enough to be able to keep my head down and myself out of trouble on a night out, but like you say with Cath's brother and all, these things can happen to the best of us.

Aye, it's clear from some of the CCTV stuff you see on telly of people getting kickings/stabbed, that the "if you don't look for bother, you won't find any" stuff is a thing of the past. So many dickheads knocking about these days, it's not even funny.

Yeh,

a lot of people go out of their way thesedays,

Even in our own street we got a attacked,

and my mate Rob got assualted from BEHIND :panic:

2 on 1, they drove by on their bikes, beat him up a bit and drove off,

He gave me the phone call so i ran to him from home,

he was sprawled out on the floor in a garage forcourt,

7 hours waiting in A & E,

yay :D

That's the sort of thing you can't do much about, someone decides to have a go at you like that from behind for no reason and you'll be very lucky to be able to do much about it.

Saw a guys eye get completely fucked up like that once, two guys just smashed him down from behind and then two footed jumped on his head and ran off. Complete strangers by all accounts just looking for someone to hurt I guess. :icon_lol:

The thing about getting involved in those sort of situations is not just the personal risk from the fuckwits, but that if you get involved and end up giving them a hiding you might very well end up charged with something yourself. Bizarre. :(

My cousin got chinned last week. Had been to a party at someone's house, and left the house with this lad cos they decided they were going to town. Got as far as the end of the drive when this lad attacked him, jumped on his head, the lot. He's got black eyes, a busted nose, and bruises all over apparently.

This kid has done stuff like this before, so when the coppers got a hold of him, they asked what went on. His response: Whey yuh knaa me leyk. Sometimes ah just lose it.

Charges are being pressed, so hopefully he gets put away.

My cousin got chinned last week. Had been to a party at someone's house, and left the house with this lad cos they decided they were going to town. Got as far as the end of the drive when this lad attacked him, jumped on his head, the lot. He's got black eyes, a busted nose, and bruises all over apparently.

This kid has done stuff like this before, so when the coppers got a hold of him, they asked what went on. His response: Whey yuh knaa me leyk. Sometimes ah just lose it.

Mindless charver violence. I'd put away the fucker for 10 years.

Mindless charver violence. I'd put away the fucker for 10 years.

But the courts won't.

What goes around comes around 'n' all that. One day he'll get it, I'm almost certain of that

Sorry to hear that you knew him. I didnt read it properly. You still playing a different tune than you did in the other thread though.

And youre more than welcome to have a pop if you see me in town :D

...that's the trouble, whe sober we are all well aware of our surroundings, any potential flashpoints etc so violence can usually be avoided - not always mind.

but when pissed, that's a totally different ball game, I am far more relaxed and generally would not think twice about walking past a big group of pissed blokes or the worst scenario the charver gang, full of cheap cider and carrying blades.

couple of years ago I was on the Metro going to a party in town, about 7ish.......there were loads of teeny charvs on who obviously didn't know each other.....one was giving a bloke some grief, who was just sitting minding his own business....

.....train got to Howdon, bloke thought "fuck this I'm out of here" jumped off and just as the buzzer was sounding all these little wankers jumped off.....as the train was pulling away I saw the poor fucker getting kicked to fuck on the platform............I was totally gutted even though I didn't know the guy....thought about it for days.

should I have done this or that?

bastards!

now here is the big question in't it ?? My place of abode obviously has a really bad name foritself but I have always felt safe because i "know who should be known", not bragging just a fact of life....however I now find myself avoiding large groups of charvs. people who look off their faces, random groups of lasses wearing the ubiquitous burbarry and I keep thinking to myself "why the fuck should I" but I still do :panic: It's a sad sad world we live in now :D

Can't say I've ever felt 'unsafe' anywhere but I think that's maybe more down to the type of person I am rather than the places I've been. I've drank in some shitholes like but I'm not easily intimidated and am more than happy to stand up for myself if needs be, or avoid dickheads. I'm very easily annoyed by said dickheads which doesn't always lead to me being very tolerant :D

I'm also not a lass who is scared to walk into a pub on my own if I'm meeting someone and I'm there first. The Trent every matchday is a case in point considering every fucker else is always late.

Edited by catmag

Can't say I've ever felt 'unsafe' anywhere but I think that's maybe more down to the type of person I am rather than the places I've been. I've drank in some shitholes like but I'm not easily intimidated and am more than happy to stand up for myself if needs be, or avoid dickheads. I'm very easily annoyed by said dickheads which doesn't always lead to me being very tolerant :D

I'm also not a lass who is scared to walk into a pub on my own if I'm meeting someone and I'm there first. The Trent every matchday is a case in point considering every fucker else is always late.

Watch the langauge.

Edited by khay

Can't say I've ever felt 'unsafe' anywhere but I think that's maybe more down to the type of person I am rather than the places I've been. I've drank in some shitholes like but I'm not easily intimidated and am more than happy to stand up for myself if needs be, or avoid dickheads. I'm very easily annoyed by said dickheads which doesn't always lead to me being very tolerant :(

That's a very false sense of security though (although for women it is probably a safer bet than men, just because of the general perpetrators and victims of mindless random violence)...... it lasts right up until the time you DO get badly attacked (by someone that frankly just doesn't give a fuck) and after than you'll never quite have that same "safe" feeling again. :panic:

Although these days maybe even women aren't that much safer in such delusion as I've seen stiletto type shoes used in way that could certainly badly maim and frankly even kill with a unlucky blow. :D

I'm a bit like Cath, never really felt unsafe and am quite capable of standing up for myself if someone is being a dickhead. Occassionally I've felt protective of people who I'm with and will steer them to the otherside of me or something, but I won't cross over the road to avoid a group of chavs... if I'm honest I'll purposefully stride straight through their group, head up and I'll answer any snide remark that comes my way... perhaps I should take the high road and stick to the safer side of the street, but I'm sick of these knobheads getting away thinking they're invincible.

I know that there is always going to be an element of knobheadery out there, I'm not stupid, but I'd say that (for all the abuse they get) it's not going to be the students or pretentious wankers who ruin nights. It's the ill educated, chav scum that "kick off". Through boredom, binge drinking and a narrow minded outlook on life.

I'd rather someone wackily put a traffic cone on the car roof than a brick through it's window tbh.