Harry unimpressed by Roeder

Scottish Mag

Harry Redknapp believes Newcastle should be higher up the Premiership table with the players Glenn Roeder has at his disposal.

Redknapp will pit his wits against Roeder at Fratton Park on Saturday, with Portsmouth currently five points above The Magpies.

Roeder succeeded Redknapp as West Ham manager in 2001 but could not save them from relegation in 2003, and the Pompey boss has yet to be convinced by his record in management.

"When I left (West Ham) he took over and then suddenly they get relegated," said Redknapp.

"He's had a few other clubs like Gillingham and Watford, but West Ham were the best team ever to have been relegated in my opinion.

"Glenn has come back into management at Newcastle and got a good job.

"When Graeme Souness left, they put him in (caretaker) charge and after a couple of good results he got the job.

"But they have some great players there and looking at their squad they should be much higher.

"There is a lot of talent in the team, people like (Kieron) Dyer, (Scott) Parker, (James) Milner, Damien Duff. They should be right up there for what they have paid out."

Redknapp accepts that Newcastle have had rotten luck with injuries, but takes great satisfaction from the fact that Portsmouth have still had a better Premiership campaign.

"To be fair, they have had injuries throughout this season and when Michael Owen comes back it will be a big boost for them," he commented.

"But for us, being above teams like Newcastle, Blackburn and Manchester City is terrific. We certainly haven't broken the bank here."

David James, meanwhile, will be sporting a new clean-shaven look against Newcastle as he attempts to break David Seaman's record of 142 clean sheets in the Premiership.

The goalkeeper had initially vowed to keep his beard until the record was achieved, but conceding four at Watford, following late strikes by Fulham and Manchester United in previous games, has forced him into a rethink.

"It was beginning to get long and really wiry and I was beginning to look like Tom Hanks in Castaway," he said.

Jealousy... :D

yep bit of sour grapes there by the sound of it...he pinched my job and Im doing better than him bla bla bla .....would love to stick it right up them today to shut the twat up ..we dont need anyone else to tell how bad we are :lol:

Well, at least it hopefully does the trick. It undermines the fact that 'arry is an utter tw*t and hopefully does fire up our players.

It's not about if he is right or wrong. But Redknapp shows that he has no class by making that kind of public comments.

Harry's only saying exactly what we've all been saying for the past 2 years or so.

Only 2 :lol:

I'm fairly sure some here have known Roedent is a shit manager since BIRTH. :)

It may well have been that some people first words were "ffs roedent die!!!!!. :P

Jealousy... :)

yep bit of sour grapes there by the sound of it...he pinched my job and Im doing better than him bla bla bla .....would love to stick it right up them today to shut the twat up ..we dont need anyone else to tell how bad we are :lol:

Well, at least it hopefully does the trick. It undermines the fact that 'arry is an utter tw*t and hopefully does fire up our players.

It's not about if he is right or wrong. But Redknapp shows that he has no class by making that kind of public comments.

He has had said similar things before our previous two games this season, and we've beaten them twice. So lets hope we do them again today!

Harry has just denied having a go at Roeder on SSN. Said he did an interview with Sky and the papers just put the usual spin on it etc.

Edited by Greg