Roeder and NUFC part company

The Mighty Hog

Nice to see .com are proving yet again what an impartial site they are, clearly no vendetta there or anything.

Exactly, they are arbritrarily selecting which games to judge him on. It's his performance over the whole season, or even the last decade, that is relevant. They're a couple of cock knockers at the minute.

Edited by Renton

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, the best judge of a manager is the league table in my opinion, and one glance at that shows you everything you need to know.

FFS, how many points have we taken in the last 10 matches?

0 points in 10 match was cloudcookooland, it was almost impossible for it to happen (even if FFS was managing).

We haven't even scored at home since February! Two reversals would have been enough to get us relegated, and I can think of more than two matches we were lucky to win.

And earlier in the season there was a couple of matches we were unlucky to lose, swings and roundabouts.

Teams have been relegated before with our points total as it stands now, so I hardly thnk I am exagerating or being hysterical.

And this season is anyone going to be relegated with our points? Nope. Hysterics tbh. :lol:

The only thing Shepherd is at fault with (although I admit it is a big thing) is appointing a manager as incompetent as Roeder.

Complete toss, Roeders appointment is directly related to Robson's sacking, the whole thing is one resultant mess.

I've asked you before but you've never answered, can you actually think of a worse premiership manager than Roeder? I can't, his record is second to none in the shit stakes.

I have answered that before, so much as it is answerable.

But I'll ask you a question (two actually) where you expect Allardyce to take us next season, and where will you be satisfied with him taking us?

Remind me then, I can't recall your answer.

For me, I'd be wanting a top half finish, but more importantly, an improvement in the way we are organized and playing football. Based on a modestly good CV, I'd give him at least 2 years to show some improvement.

Edit: I think we'll come about 8th in the first year.

Edited by Renton

0 points in 10 match was cloudcookooland, it was almost impossible for it to happen (even if FFS was managing).

It wasn't so much the scenario of winning no points at all, but the fear of other teams at the bottom collecting more points. If we had lost to Sheffield and Charlton have had a better run (not conceding against Everton in the last minute for example) we would be in deep shit right now.

Relegation was an unlikely scenario, but it wasn't an impossible scenario. You can try to blandish it as much as you want.

For me, I'd be wanting a top half finish, but more importantly, an improvement in the way we are organized and playing football. Based on a modestly good CV, I'd give him at least 2 years to show some improvement.

Aye well 10th isn't shooting for the stars, but on the other hand how many people would be happy if we came 10th next year I don't know.

It wasn't so much the scenario of winning no points at all, but the fear of other teams at the bottom collecting more points. If we had lost to Sheffield and Charlton have had a better run (not conceding against Everton in the last minute for example) we would be in deep shit right now.

Relegation was an unlikely scenario, but it wasn't an impossible scenario. You can try to blandish it as much as you want.

No we needed to basically pick up 0 points or for every team below us to win most of their game (against some tough opposition at that).

relegation was an very unlikely scenario, yes, but we weren't in a relegation fight per se, nor at the brink of relegation, and you can't twist it to pretend we were. :icon_lol:

Who would read a book by Glenn Roeder? :lol:

Fop apparently, to match his personality. :D

Aye I would, to match my keen interest in facts and understanding what is actually occurring, as oppose to what goes down well around here (hysterics and bile) :o

Aye I would, to match my keen interest in facts and understanding what is actually occurring, as oppose to what goes down well around here (hysterics and bile) :lol:

Doing this with your posts makes you even righterer - fact! :o:D:icon_lol::rolleyes:

Aye I would, to match my keen interest in facts and understanding what is actually occurring, as oppose to what goes down well around here (hysterics and bile) :o

Doing this with your posts makes you even righterer - fact! :D:icon_lol::rolleyes::angry:

"righterer" I think you'll find. :lol::angry::P

Aye well 10th isn't shooting for the stars, but on the other hand how many people would be happy if we came 10th next year I don't know.

No we needed to basically pick up 0 points or for every team below us to win most of their game (against some tough opposition at that).

relegation was an very unlikely scenario, yes, but we weren't in a relegation fight per se, nor at the brink of relegation, and you can't twist it to pretend we were. :icon_lol:

Fop apparently, to match his personality. :D

You'd get your facts from an autobiography? Righto.

Fop, if we'd lost against Sheffield United, we'd be on 39 points, and in 15th place. I always maintained that was the crucial match. Now, if we failed to pick up a point against Chelsea and Arsenal as well, we might well have been relegated. Of course none of this happened, but given we have only won 4 games away, and have not scored at home since February, it was hardly an impossibility, especially given Roeder's track record in relegation battles.

For the record, I don't recall anyone saying we were definitely going to get relegated, or any hysteria whatsoever. It was raised as a possibility, and given what has happened, I think that was fair enough.

I was still willing to give him some sympathy until I saw the post-match comments from Saturday, where he seemed to think we played quite well. That was when I decided he really had to go. You could just imagine next season, in the bottom 3, 4-0 stuffing at home to Fulham, and Roeders going 'we played some good stuff for a ten minute spell first half.'

relegation was an very unlikely scenario, yes, but we weren't in a relegation fight per se, nor at the brink of relegation, and you can't twist it to pretend we were. :angry:

Fop apparently, to match his personality. :rolleyes:

You'd get your facts from an autobiography? Righto.

Nope but I'd get an understanding (biased as is maybe) of what went on, as opposed to your what? Made up nothingness? Righto indeed. :P

Fop, if we'd lost against Sheffield United, we'd be on 39 points, and in 15th place. I always maintained that was the crucial match. Now, if we failed to pick up a point against Chelsea and Arsenal as well, we might well have been relegated.

Hehe and I remember being castigated for saying we could win that and indeed pick up a point or two from the Arsenal and Chelsea game, but we were never going to pick up 0 points from all those games.

Of course none of this happened, but given we have only won 4 games away, and have not scored at home since February, it was hardly an impossibility, especially given Roeder's track record in relegation battles.

Of course it was an improbability, or are you saying a manager can't get relegated because they haven't previously?

But there's a big difference between impossible and on the brink of.

For instance it is not impossible for Newcastle to win the Premiership next year, but we are not exactly on the brink of doing it either. :D

For the record, I don't recall anyone saying we were definitely going to get relegated, or any hysteria whatsoever. It was raised as a possibility, and given what has happened, I think that was fair enough.

Yes I've noticed you've got a very short and incredibly selective memory tbh. :angry:

And if you're trying to say the hysteria was someone going "you know it's just possible we might get relegated if we're not careful" then :icon_lol: is all I have to say, revisionist history FTW. :P

Well if I've got a selective memory then go all Happy Face on me and prove it. I'm happy with what I recall saying, and a hell of a lot ended up depending on one match. We were and are in relegation form, only our points already notched up saved us and I believe this was recognised by everyone at the time.

Edited by Renton

Well if I've got a selective memory then go all Happy Face on me and prove it. I'm happy with what I recall saying, and a hell of a lot ended up depending on one match. We were and are in relegation form, only our points already notched up saved us and I believe this was recognised by everyone at the time.

Doesn't everyones points already notched up save them from relegation? Man U's did this season and they also managed to win it for them too!

But if we'd had 0 points by that point of the season then yes I agree we'd have been fecked.

Which goes back to basically if we were on the brink of relegation then so were 1/2 the teams in the Premiership.

Doesn't everyones points already notched up save them from relegation? Man U's did this season and they also managed to win it for them too!

But if we'd had 0 points by that point of the season then yes I agree we'd have been fecked.

Which goes back to basically if we were on the brink of relegation then so were 1/2 the teams in the Premiership.

You're just being pedantic tbh, what a surprise. OK, I retract what I said and rephrase it:

Roeder has relegated two teams, put another on the brink of relegation, and put another at serious risk of relgation. Is that better?

You're just being pedantic tbh, what a surprise. OK, I retract what I said and rephrase it:

Roeder has relegated two teams, put another on the brink of relegation, and put another at serious risk of relgation. Is that better?

Not really, because it's still FFS and injuries that have contributed (indirectly and directly - unless FFS was meddling in players again) as much to this seasons position as Roeder (as well as I suspect not having Shearer as a player and captain).

Ironically Roeder's decision not to effectively waste money at Christmas may well have cost him his job (bringing in patch up substandard signings then might have got us high enough to keep him here next season) whilst setting up his successor with an easier time next season (in having money and not having to shift as many players.

Roeder is not a great manager, or even a good one most probably, but he did do an ok job this season all things considered. Now next season Allardyce (or whomever) should have a much easier ride as Roeder didn't blow transfer money on patch up buys and indeed without european competitions our smaller squad should have an easier time in the league (and I simply cannot see us having a season of injuries this bad again).

Guest alex

You see, I don't think he has done a good job this season even with the mitigating factors. A loss at Watford and we'll have had our worst Premiership season ever.

"I was proud to be your manager.

"Our fans don't deserve the results we have had. They are who we wanted to bring success for.

"I'm a huge Newcastle fan. I would like to have been the person to oversee the changes so urgently required.

"I wish the new manager the best but, most importantly, I want to convey my sincere thanks and affection to all Newcastle fans.

"They have always been an inspiration to me both during my playing and managerial career.

It was a great honour to be their manager."

"Results have not been what I would have wished. We were dogged by horrendous injuries but I was very proud of the players."

Rodders from todays Mirror

You see, I don't think he has done a good job this season even with the mitigating factors. A loss at Watford and we'll have had our worst Premiership season ever.

Never said a good job, an ok job, but with the injuries and the squad that may have been inevitable (does the current squad really stand up to what KK built, or Daglish took over, or Guilt did, or Robson or Souness?).

Injuries completely screwed up Robson in at least one season and did for almost all those managers mentioned in some sense or another.

Exactly. I still judge him on the players he had to his disposal (and not on those who were injured). It's granted that he was unlucky with not having the likes of Owen available. But his biggest problem was that he only got mostly poor performances out of the likes of Emre, Parker, Duff, Martins, Dyer etc. And that did rightfully cost him the job in the end.