Big names on Big Sam's wishlist

khay

Mark Viduka, Sami Hyypia, Tal Ben Haim, Sol Campbell and Jlloyd Samuel are all thought to be on Sam Allardyce's Newcastle shopping list.

Allardyce has wasted little time since taking the manager's job at St James' Park earlier this week and on Wednesday announced five players - Titus Bramble, Craig Moore, Olivier Bernard, Pavel Srnicek and Oguchi Onyewu - would not have their contracts renewed.

But the former Bolton boss is thought to have drawn up a list of replacements, with Middlesbrough striker Viduka at the top of his hitlist.

The Australian forward is out of contract this summer and has stalled on signing a new two-year deal at the Riverside Stadium.

However, Allardyce will face stiff competition for Viduka's signature from Manchester United, while Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is also thought to be keen on the 31-year-old.

Allardyce is also hoping to give his defensive options a complete makeover and is rumoured to be planning a shock move for Pompey defender Campbell.

The former Arsenal star resurrected his career at Fratton Park this season, but Allardyce hopes to persuade him to lend his experience to his Tyneside revolution.

The Toon boss is also considering raiding his former club Bolton for highly-rated defender Ben Haim, who is available on a free transfer after his contract expired at the Reebok Stadium.

Liverpool defender Hyypia is another option and the Finn could easily be persuaded to move on after losing his first-team place at Anfield to Daniel Agger.

Allardyce is also in the hunt for a full-back and has been strongly linked with a move for Villa's Samuel, who is eager to leave Villa Park after seeing his first-team opportunities limited under Martin O'Neill.

Swiss midfielder Gelson Fernandes is also a target, but Allardyce will face competition from his former Bolton assistant Sammy Lee in the race to sign the FC Sion player.

And while Allardyce is preparing to bring a number of players in, yet more Toon stars could be set for the chop with Celestine Babayaro, Antoine Sibierski, Stephen Carr and Charles N'Zogbia set to make way for the new arrivals.

never been impressed with Samuel and not keen on N'Zogbia leaving, but the rest is good news to me

Aye, I've never thought much of him and if he's lost his place in Villa's team it's not a good sign.

He is better than what we have but that says nothing whatsoever.

Hyypia's best days are long gone.

He's still better than everything than played for us in central defence in the last ten years. His leadership abilities and positional sense would be a great example for someone like Taylor to learn from.

He's still better than everything than played for us in central defence in the last ten years (other than Woodgate). His leadership abilities and positional sense would be a great example for someone like Taylor to learn from.

FYP :D

never been impressed with Samuel and not keen on N'Zogbia leaving, but the rest is good news to me

The only thing that slightly concerns me is you need youth/potential as well as experience.... we could be creeping a little bit too much towards the creaky end of the spectrum.

Also the price, such as Campbell last summer was an absolute steal (at his then age and for free), but Campbell one year older (at this stage of his career) and with a fee maybe is not..... that's not to say he might not be worth it still, but just that he could be getting a bit expensive for older legs.

He's still better than everything than played for us in central defence in the last ten years. His leadership abilities and positional sense would be a great example for someone like Taylor to learn from.

Woodgate?

Isn't that the point of trying to sign Sol Campbell? Ben Haim and Distin are both far better options as free transfers, Hyypia has had it, all of his pace as gone which would stand out like a sore thumb here, he's only continued at Liverpool until now because of the great defensive unit Benitez has made them.

I hate the thought of Campbell getting on a bit. He's almost exactly my age :D

Aye but footballers age in dog years, most by the mid 30's would be "humanely euthanasied". ;)

Don't tell me there are doubts towards Big Sam already?

Well it's all scraps and rumours at the moment.

Like going Campbell (if it is true) is still probably a good idea so long as he doesn't cost too much (which we won't know till after the fact).

Edited by Fop

Guest alex

I hate the thought of Campbell getting on a bit. He's almost exactly my age :D

Aye but footballers age in dog years, most by the mid 30's would be "humanely euthanasied". ;)

Don't tell me there are doubts towards Big Sam already?

Well it's all scraps and rumours at the moment.

Like going Campbell (if it is true) is still probably a good idea so long as he doesn't cost too much (which we won't know till after the fact).

Doubt Campbell would cost that much as he's only got a year left on his contract iirc. Makes Roeder look fucking stupid if we do go for him though and it pisses on the argument (yes Chez I mean you) that he never wanted to come here :finger:

I wish people would get the fuck over Woodgate and Bellamy, their gone and not coming back

:D

to be fair little man, I think the woodagtes comments were brought up to argue against a claim that Hyppia would be the best centre half for a decade if he came, people were simply saying Woodgate (when he was he and we're not expecting him back) is a better player than Hyppia.

I would like to se Nzogbia try and use his phone when big sam is doing his half time team talk, probably throw him straight out the door, he definately has the potential to be great has just lost his way a little and needs a guiding hand( kick up the arse)

i reckon we should keep n'zogbia despite his hissy fit. young left footers with pace and skill don't grow on trees.

i can't understgand why we haven't tried him at left back when our only other options there recently have been babayaro or right footed centre backs.

i reckon we should keep n'zogbia despite his hissy fit. young left footers with pace and skill don't grow on trees.

i can't understgand why we haven't tried him at left back when our only other options there recently have been babayaro or right footed centre backs.

Was it not Pedro who rekon'd he's the best left back at the club (admittedly this isn't hard)?