Newcastle move in on Crouch

Jimbo

Sam Allardyce, the Newcastle United manager, is weighing up an audacious £10 million move for Peter Crouch, the Liverpool forward. Twice thwarted in his attempts to sign Crouch while in charge at Bolton Wanderers, Allardyce is hoping to strike it third time lucky this summer, although any deal would be dependent on a number of factors.

Rafael BenÍtez is willing to sell Crouch, but the Liverpool manager will first want to satisfy himself that a suitable replacement can be found, especially with Craig Bellamy nearing the exit door, Robbie Fowler released and the pursuit of one world-class striker proving difficult enough.

BenÍtez has struck a deal with Bayer Leverkusen for Andriy Voronin, the Ukraine forward, but Samuel Eto’o, the Barcelona striker, and Carlos Tévez, of West Ham United, are looking increasingly ambitious targets, while the manager is understood to have reservations about whether Darren Bent is worth the £15 million fee Charlton Athletic could command.

With Liverpool demanding £12 million for Bellamy, who is being courted by Aston Villa, West Ham and Blackburn Rovers, BenÍtez would probably want at least that much for Crouch, although Allardyce wants first to establish whether Michael Owen and Obafemi Martins wish to stay at St James’ Park.

Owen is attracting interest from Liverpool and Manchester United, so in theory a swap deal involving Crouch would make sense, but the situation is thought to be more complicated than that, especially because Newcastle supporters would probably be lukewarm to the idea. Crouch was also wanted by Glenn Roeder, Allardyce’s predecessor.

Whatever the decisions of Owen or Martins, they will not prevent Allardyce from pressing ahead with his plans to sign Mark Viduka, who is a free agent after his contract with Middlesbrough expired.

It's about time we faced the reality that Owen isn't going to be here next season, and Liverpool will be his most likely destination, so why not horsetrade.

It's about time we faced the reality that Owen isn't going to be here next season, and Liverpool will be his most likely destination, so why not horsetrade.

If we'd gone into the new season with Roeder in charge, it would have been almost impossible to be pissed off at Owen leaving. We were going nowhere. But with the way things are developing, I will be really disappointed if Owen doesn't start next season with us.

I'm not so sure whether it's a certainty, yes he most likely wants to leave but whether any of the top 4 want him is unknown.

We've heard all this Owen style b*llocks in the past man. Remember the 2001 summer when Dyer was linked with Man Utd & Leeds the whole summer and it was supposedly just a matter of him deciding who. Same went with Solano when the whole summer the tabloids were saying he was off to Real Madrid. I reckon Owen will be here this time next year.

We've heard all this Owen style b*llocks in the past man. Remember the 2001 summer when Dyer was linked with Man Utd & Leeds the whole summer and it was supposedly just a matter of him deciding who. Same went with Solano when the whole summer the tabloids were saying he was off to Real Madrid. I reckon Owen will be here this time next year.

There isn't really any solid body of evidence suggesting Owen is going anyway. The fact the newspapers would all love to see Owen in a red shirt again (or at least not in that deluded Newcastle team etc.), is partly what contributes to the stories of Owen leaving. There's also the fact that he shouldn't really be playing for us and should be playing for a better team, if we're going by his ability.

I only want Crouch if he signs it in his contract that he has to do the 'Robo-Crouch' celebration after every goal :blink:

... In fact, no, I don't even want him then!

If we'd gone into the new season with Roeder in charge, it would have been almost impossible to be pissed off at Owen leaving. We were going nowhere. But with the way things are developing, I will be really disappointed if Owen doesn't start next season with us.

Agreed. Hopefully with all the changes we should have a much better team next season which could persuade him to stay. If we don't perform though he's definitely off next season.

He's a handful for defenders because of his size, 17 goals in 64 starts for Liverpool, 11 goals in 17 England appearances.

Much improved player over the last couple of years and while £10m is too much, somewhere around £7m i would think would be more realistic.

So we lose Martins and Owen and get Crouch.

Oh god..... :blink:

He might work well along side either of those, but he's not really a "star" striker in and of himself, even if we play pure long ball he's not as good as his height might suggest he would be.

And as for his England goal record, it's the most misleading one I've ever seen, to balance it out he'd be likely not to score in the his next 20 internationals.

7-8 million maybe (if we have a GOOD partner for him), but anymore than that is silly.

He might work well along side either of those, but he's not really a "star" striker in and of himself, even if we play pure long ball he's not as good as his height might suggest he would be.

And as for his England goal record, it's the most misleading one I've ever seen, to balance it out he'd be likely not to score in the his next 20 internationals.

7-8 million maybe (if we have a GOOD partner for him), but anymore than that is silly.

I haven't seen him recently but I maintain that despite being a foot shorter Martins is better in the air than Crouch.

I haven't seen him recently but I maintain that despite being a foot shorter Martins is better in the air than Crouch.

There's a great myth that every manager seems to subscribe to that Crouch's good in the air. No he's not, he's shit plus his size always means that he gets fouls given against him. Problem is he does actually seem quite capable when the ball is at his feet but he rarely gets the chance.

Peter Crouch has revealed Rafa Benitez has assured him he has a future at Liverpool.

The beanpole striker had to battle with Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt for a starting berth at Anfield last term and is now having to contend with speculation about his future.

Benitez, armed with a sizeable transfer kitty, is set to revamp his squad this summer and both Crouch and Bellamy have been linked with the Anfield exit door.

Newcastle chief Sam Allardyce is reported to be ready to table a bid for Crouch, but the England international claims Benitez has told him he has a role to play on Merseyside.

"He's (Benitez) told me I'm part of his plans and that's good enough for me," Crouch told Sky Sports News.

"At a club like Liverpool there's going to be competition for places, especially as the manager likes to chop and change."

Edited by Besty

Guest Patrokles

Crouch actually isn't all that bad.

For someone so tall he's remarkably shit in the air.

Where did I claim he was good in the air?